Sorry im never on this thread, (or on a lot anyway) chickens have been awful to me lately and ive been so busy.

I just wanted to let some people know because i believe this is a very popular seed brand. “We got nuts” I opened the very fresh and new sesame seeds that just came. Anyway, it was infested with larvae. Just figured id let people know, it was food grade, meant for eating. Infested.

Not only that, but some were attached by what appeared to be a string, moving (the seeds) and dangling from the clear thread. I believe it was a indian meal moth infestation but not to sure. I just wanted to let people know.
Extra protein….?😳😳😳

I don’t believe it. Just like that they have become one group. All on the same roost and all together even though there is loads of space.
❤️
From right to left: Diana, Maggie, Lulu, Bernadette.
That is not quite pecking order as Bernadette is above Lulu (even though Lulu is laying) but for some reason Bernie really wanted the end spot and actually stepped over Lulu to get it.

View attachment 3226757
Awww that’s a lovely sight ❤️

Mr Pompei and Marty were snuggled up in the window, wish I had a pic of this. But my niece got there before me and moved the wee man 😊

I moved Marty to her new spot and put Curly in a higher nest box - I tried to put her on the roost but the broody silly almost fell off! So I put her in one higher than the floor.

Then I got to singing and out of nowhere started singing this really old Ian and Sylvia Tyson song - which Misty really seemed to like - a change from In the Misty Moonlight 😊

And of course I couldn’t remember all the words after so many years - I had to find it online. Still a great song, I will play if for the kiddies tomorrow while I sing along of course!

Fire 🔥! Up the highway from me only 30 miles East. Eyes watering. Smell of smoke in the air. But it’s 45% contained. Power outages at my cabin and surrounding areas. I’m glad I didn’t go up there this week. I’m down in the valley with my animal friends.
Tax: 24BFF951-6D9E-4D6B-9BBB-2DAA7498B312.jpeg

I don’t believe it. Just like that they have become one group. All on the same roost and all together even though there is loads of space.
❤️
From right to left: Diana, Maggie, Lulu, Bernadette.
That is not quite pecking order as Bernadette is above Lulu (even though Lulu is laying) but for some reason Bernie really wanted the end spot and actually stepped over Lulu to get it.

View attachment 3226757
This is wonderful! I suspect that it went as well for a couple of reasons:
*the lowest of the adults are gone - they tend to be the ones that start trouble with newcomers
*Lulu has been 'interacting' with them regularly - in a very non-aggressive manner
*Bernadette is smart and hasn't made any moves (yes, I'm looking at YOU, Glynda!👀)
*They have all just experienced loss, and may be closer because of it.
*Remember how the trio didn't mingle? I think there is something to being 2 versus 3 + - ??maybe 2 are friends, 3 +is a flock??? Based on the sleep thing from @Ponypoor , you need at least 3 to have a 'middle one' that can totally relax & sleep both sides of brain?????

So, the above are suppositions/ponderings based on their behavior and some behaviors in my flock dynamics at times.

Any thoughts on the ponderings? @RoyalChick @BY Bob @rural mouse @ChicoryBlue @Kris5902

Back
Top Bottom