Thanks to the super dry summer my pond is 6 feet low thus leaving more shorelines to trim. There was one patch I hadn't cut all summer and had gotten 4 feet tall. I swapped the string attachment for the brush blade and grabbed my chainsaw for good measure. 3 hours later that 3x20 meter patch is clear. That was the worst section. I wanted to continue today but my body says next weekend, lol.

I’m up early because of an unexpected guest. Coco and Shenandoah spent the night inside the chickens room. Shanny decided to get off her perch in the dark, walked across the hallway, into my room and jumped on my bed. Then snuggled up as close as she could. She frightened me at first, but then I realized who she was. (It was a daddy can I sleep with you moment) those times are priceless! :love

I am so far behind. It was a shite week at work so Saturday afternoon me, the pups and chickens had a bbq. Probably skip to the end and read backwards again to catch up. View attachment 3279185hot dogs for the pups, deer sausage and giblets for me. 😁🍻
You really do things bigger in Texas don’t you?

We have snow! Way up on the peaksView attachment 3278247View attachment 3278249View attachment 3278248And the neighbor across the creek has let her pampered horses out for several daysView attachment 3278251The white ones belong to the one down below us. The brown herd live in that green/cream barn across the field.View attachment 3278252Remnants of the rain/snow clouds traveling on...

Snow on the peaks builds, and is a huge part of our water system. Come spring, it melts, hopefully slowly, keeping the forests wet. Early fall snow (and this is later than normal, but earlier than the last couple of years) helps extinguish the forest fires and rehydrate the dry ground allowing the snow melt to sink into the ground rather than run over the surface. The flooding in Yellowstone last spring was caused by a combination of dry ground and fast melt running over the surface and crumbling the dry. Valley temps are still too warm for using the stove much. Night lows have been in the mid to upper 40s. Highs have fluctuated between low 60s and high 70s depending upon clear vs cloudy skies. Snow on the peaks also helps drive the elk down out of the high country for easier hunting and encourages the bears to den up sooner to hibernate. My ideal is snowy peaks and intermittent rain/snow in the valleys. (The snow melting off over the course of several days)
I love the pictures. Montana seems beautiful and harsh. I only went there to hike in Yellowstone for a few days as a child with my parents, I felt very sad of the flooding.
I'm reading (really slowly because it's much like reading poetry) a book called "the wild marsh, four seasons at home in Montana" that describes nature month by month in the Yaak valley. It's very soothing.
Goats in my blood.
Continuing my trawl through the past, here is my great uncle. He committed suicide in the early 1960s having left every item he owned, which was not much, individually to someone. I still have the handwritten notes he attached to everything. So sad.
But in happier times, he really seems to like this goat. Look at the smile on his face. He is chatting to the goat I feel sure

View attachment 3279119
It must be such a mixed bag of emotions to go through these documents. This is a beautiful picture, the way he looks at and holds the goat shows a lot of tenderness I think.
Then again, it could be a sign from those other forces that you are meant to get a couple of these horny littles devil's for yourself 🙂.

Mugs as tax for being out of chicken subject post :

Cute Piou-piou
IMG_20221003_135148.jpg

Léa. She's getting to be a big girl and with her feathery legs she has a stocky round silhouette.
IMG_20221003_135015.jpg

Nougat is always angry. She wants to kill the younger chickens.
IMG_20221003_120219.jpg

Théo
IMG_20221003_120924.jpg

And Merle.
IMG_20221002_102812.jpg

Thanks to the super dry summer my pond is 6 feet low thus leaving more shorelines to trim. There was one patch I hadn't cut all summer and had gotten 4 feet tall. I swapped the string attachment for the brush blade and grabbed my chainsaw for good measure. 3 hours later that 3x20 meter patch is clear. That was the worst section. I wanted to continue today but my body says next weekend, lol.
I know that body feeling. Everything is tomorrow or next week I'm lucky if it's a month :D

Back
Top Bottom