So, a question for anyone. I have yet to add nest boxes to my coop. My Teenagers are now deep into their 16th week of life. The website where I got them from lists 22 weeks as the average for laying age for all the breeds I received. Should I wait till then or put them in asap? Given that winter is upon us Idk if they would even start or if its likely to be delayed a bit till the days start lengthening again. Just pondering on how quickly I need to move to get them in place.

Hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving!
You need to give them a place to lay eggs if you want to know where they are laying. Best boxes with ceramic eggs in them to encourage laying there. Glynda is laying despite the lack of daylight. She just started. I had ceramic eggs and nests ready so she laid in one of the choices which I provided for her. Now I know where to go and collect the eggs.

If you have the time to do it now, it can't do any harm. Chickens are very curious and cautious about new things. I think it would be easier for them to lay in the nest boxes if they have seen them around for a while. If ever they do start laying at 22 weeks, they wont take the habit of laying elsewhere.

That said my chickens didn't start laying in the nice boxes my partner had built for them. In fact it took them more than a year to lay in those, and they tried five different locations inside the coop before 😁. Maybe ceramic eggs would help ?
Ceramic eggs make the location seem safe by giving them an indication that other hens are laying there.

Awww. You need to get him a couple of girls. So sad, a roo with no tribe.

He is a nice looking boy....get him some girls!!!!
@Ponypoor @micstrachan, After a little thought and permission from my boss we will put the lone rooster with Itty Bitty and the mini RIR gal. I forgot they have been recuperating together from severe molt and rooster over indulgence. All 3 are about the same size. We have a temporary pen to see if they get along with the boy. If it's a good match then hammer and saw will be called into use again

@BY Bob

Hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and there weren't any 'Lilly-esque' pie incidents, though I bet Eve would have enjoyed the fracas if it had!
There were not. I will say hosting 13 people over for Thanksgiving is exhausting. We are still recovering today.

@Ponypoor @micstrachan, After a little thought and permission from my boss we will put the lone rooster with Itty Bitty and the mini RIR gal. I forgot they have been recuperating together from severe molt and rooster over indulgence. All 3 are about the same size. We have a temporary pen to see if they get along with the boy. If it's a good match then hammer and saw will be called into use again
Awww your just a match-maker Greg 😊

And k expect pics of the new trio - hope they get along!

Thank you! She rested most of the day, but did decide to get up and do some chickeny things here at the end of the day. Now she is eating a bunch of shredded zucchini. Maybe she needs the manganese. I’m so happy to see her foraging and actually seeming a bit excited about the zucchini. She even chased off some of the junior hens.

She is moving pretty good there. Seems like she had a pretty good day. 👍

Sorry, guys I’ve been missing. I’m nursing a sick hen. It’s not looking great for Lucky. I’m really having trouble getting her crop moving. I’m doing everything I can to help her, so let’s see if I can get her a little more time with us on earth.
Sorry to hear she is still poorly, I know you’re doing everything right by her 🥰

Back
Top Bottom