Gucci Didn't Care

There seems to be a bit of sadness around here today with the loss of Tegan and Lucky's illness to just name 2. Sometimes i find it helpful to look back at a life that was and remember at times like these.

The loss of Gucci was very hard on Mrs. BY Bob and myself. We thought we were turning the corner with her but she just didn't make it. For whatever reason, I was inspired by the event. It feels odd to say that but it is true. Out of that inspiration came a very long poem. I have been refining it for some time with the help of some family and friends. After a while I started thinking that it might make a good children's book.

What is attached is essentially a final draft of that book. I am reaching out to someone to have the photos turned into watercolor illustrations and then I plan to try and get it published. If nothing else I will self publish. I really want Eve and any future grandchildren I might have to have a copy.

So here it is. Please be kind. I hope you like it. It has been a labor of love. I can now read it and not cry so I figure it is time to share. Perhaps everyone can find some joy in remembering.
I also shed a tear. This was a beautiful surprise though. I was wondering if you would finally share one day Gucci's story but didn't dare ask. I think the poem conveys all your feelings about it, and I agree it would make a beautiful children's book if you find the right person to illustrate it.
You know, I lost another hen last week because of this!!!

In my 'route 66' flock, I have 4-5 that like to roost in trees. One (of course, a DC girl) I can never find. In the morning, she comes running over and wants back in the coop/run complex so she can eat...but she is ALWAYS already down on the ground hovering around the coop - so no hint of where she sleeps. I've been telling her for months that one of these days she will no longer be there to greet me in the morning. :(Last Tuesday was the day:(. And it was confirmed when I later found 2 clumps of her feathers with skin attached.

I love my DC girls, partially just because they are so independent, closer to their wild breathren....but I also sometimes hate that they are so independent - because of times like this.:( I am very sad at the loss, but I had steeled myself for it all summer - the darn independent cuss
She lost her life, for her freedom. I'm so sorry 😔.
Why did Merle give you worry? is she ok?
Yes, she turned out ok, thanks for asking ! I found blood under her roost the night before and she nested for two hours in a wood stack where I couldn't reach her. She was tired for a while but seemed normal after. She's doing good today but hasn't laid, I'm hoping the next egg is easier on her.

A few tuefer. It's cold and damp for once so I had little cooperation.
Now that Cannelle is almost over molting Théo is courting her again. She is not happy about it.
IMG_20221129_132319.jpg

Chipie and Léa have become good friends.
IMG_20221129_134348.jpg

Cannelle and Nougat spend a lot of time inside the coop these days
IMG_20221129_093306.jpg

Gastounet and Piou-piou are still very much in love ; she is a jealous lady.
IMG_20221129_132929.jpg

Gucci Didn't Care

There seems to be a bit of sadness around here today with the loss of Tegan and Lucky's illness to just name 2. Sometimes i find it helpful to look back at a life that was and remember at times like these.

The loss of Gucci was very hard on Mrs. BY Bob and myself. We thought we were turning the corner with her but she just didn't make it. For whatever reason, I was inspired by the event. It feels odd to say that but it is true. Out of that inspiration came a very long poem. I have been refining it for some time with the help of some family and friends. After a while I started thinking that it might make a good children's book.

What is attached is essentially a final draft of that book. I am reaching out to someone to have the photos turned into watercolor illustrations and then I plan to try and get it published. If nothing else I will self publish. I really want Eve and any future grandchildren I might have to have a copy.

So here it is. Please be kind. I hope you like it. It has been a labor of love. I can now read it and not cry so I figure it is time to share. Perhaps everyone can find some joy in remembering.
Beautiful poem that deserves to be published! It is a lovely memory of a beautiful friend and a touching story. Thank you for sharing it with all of us. ❤️

Last edited:
You might want to think about ways to help them go to bed on their own. 😆

I so rarely get to hold mine I consider it a treat when I have to move someone. I carried Hattie the other day and it was wonderful. For me at least. She did not like it.
Well, it is that bad when they get to free range. Part of the problem is that I am still using my mobile coops...and they are lower to the ground - which they don't like. If I can ever get my double decker finished, the chickens will be on top and that should help some.

I was able to get the base together and treated (2 coats of urethane), but it is too cold to treat the other pieces before putting it together, and aside from assembling the base in teh driveway...the rest needs to be built in place as it will be too heavy to move & won't fit through the current gate.

The rest that roost in the pine tree, that will probably always be a problem. I always have a few that do that....even once I get the run expanded and get some sort of mesh up there to protect from hawks, the bottom couple of branches will still be under the mesh...and the chickens so love roosting in that tree!

as far as the route 66 girls...their roost is reasonably high. 2 DC girls got the others doing that, and now the others continue! My DC girls are such a bad influence, they are ' bad girls', :lau (But I love them just the same😍😍)
Bird gang activity is on the rise. | Cute animals, Biker chicks, Funny  animal pictures

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/birds-of-a-feather--378161699930850634/

Looks like salpingitis and a respiratory infection. We’re not in a position to have exploratory surgery and she just looked miserable today. Barely ate and stood around hunched most of the day. She looked like she was improving the last couple of days but then seemed miserable today and I didn’t want her to suffer any more.

RIP Tegan sweetheart. :hit
So sorry for your loss. :hugs

(Yes I am awake with that stupid dump truck outside my well-site running all night and stinking up things with diesel fumes!)
How annoying. I understand they have to leave them running in really cold weather, but that driver would get a piece of my mind and told to be much more careful where he parks in the future.

You know, I lost another hen last week because of this!!!

In my 'route 66' flock, I have 4-5 that like to roost in trees. One (of course, a DC girl) I can never find. In the morning, she comes running over and wants back in the coop/run complex so she can eat...but she is ALWAYS already down on the ground hovering around the coop - so no hint of where she sleeps. I've been telling her for months that one of these days she will no longer be there to greet me in the morning. :(Last Tuesday was the day:(. And it was confirmed when I later found 2 clumps of her feathers with skin attached.

I love my DC girls, partially just because they are so independent, closer to their wild breathren....but I also sometimes hate that they are so independent - because of times like this.:( I am very sad at the loss, but I had steeled myself for it all summer - the darn independent cuss
So sorry for your loss. :hugs

Gucci Didn't Care

Bob that was really beautiful. I haven’t made it to the part of this thread yet that talks about Gucci, but it’s obvious she was very special and well-loved. You have her a good life for the short time she had.

Two-fer Tuesday

Something to lighten the mood.
57F00596-C704-4305-8AF1-2D3E04C3F03F.jpeg

548A1B7D-C609-4A8B-8665-9656057A4C14.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom