You know, I lost another hen last week because of this!!!

In my 'route 66' flock, I have 4-5 that like to roost in trees. One (of course, a DC girl) I can never find. In the morning, she comes running over and wants back in the coop/run complex so she can eat...but she is ALWAYS already down on the ground hovering around the coop - so no hint of where she sleeps. I've been telling her for months that one of these days she will no longer be there to greet me in the morning. :(Last Tuesday was the day:(. And it was confirmed when I later found 2 clumps of her feathers with skin attached.

I love my DC girls, partially just because they are so independent, closer to their wild breathren....but I also sometimes hate that they are so independent - because of times like this.:( I am very sad at the loss, but I had steeled myself for it all summer - the darn independent cuss
Awww, what a bummer!

Well, actually, every day (night really), I have a group of 9 that always have to be put to bed (well sometimes ONE will go on her own..but the rest, never!) Then with my route 66 crew, 4-5 were always out. I only got to hold 3-4, thought as miss DC girl I never found her spot. And with the green coop crew, 2-4 are always out. Plus, of the young'uns ( 9 hatched by co-broodies), there are 5 I have to pluck from my pine and put away. For real, it takes me 1.5 hours to lock everyone up - every.single.night.
OMG!

Gucci Didn't Care

There seems to be a bit of sadness around here today with the loss of Tegan and Lucky's illness to just name 2. Sometimes i find it helpful to look back at a life that was and remember at times like these.

The loss of Gucci was very hard on Mrs. BY Bob and myself. We thought we were turning the corner with her but she just didn't make it. For whatever reason, I was inspired by the event. It feels odd to say that but it is true. Out of that inspiration came a very long poem. I have been refining it for some time with the help of some family and friends. After a while I started thinking that it might make a good children's book.

What is attached is essentially a final draft of that book. I am reaching out to someone to have the photos turned into watercolor illustrations and then I plan to try and get it published. If nothing else I will self publish. I really want Eve and any future grandchildren I might have to have a copy.

So here it is. Please be kind. I hope you like it. It has been a labor of love. I can now read it and not cry so I figure it is time to share. Perhaps everyone can find some joy in remembering.
Aww, Bob. This made me cry, too. Beautiful!

We had a bright moment a few days ago. Our bantam GLW whom Lety has been nursing made a complete recovery and has been placed back with her flock. I will miss her chattering. She was very talkative with me. We would let her graze among our front rose beds and when she wanted back in our house she would peck on the door and start jabbering away 😊
How wonderful!

The story goes as is:
I was in the library until 10:58 A.M. Before that, when the clock struck past 10, I started feeling loopy. I let it slide until it got to the point where I was shivering. The library was pretty warm but I was freezing for no reason. I wanted to wear a coat but in my opinion, things become a little tough when I wear a coat. So I managed to survive the day freezing. The same thing happened when I got home. It was raining today and cold so it was quite obvious as to why I was freezing. Clearly, the reason why I was shivering was because my body was fighting a bacterial infection and as we speak, I am still shivering. I took a shower but I can't take a shower in hot water, I had to make it not too hot and not too cold. My cough is uncontrollable and before my shower, I almost kind of lost my voice and can only speak in whispers. My eyes are still acting like they want to close. I drank lemonade and pomegranate juice and one thing I can say is that I consume a little more sugar than usual when I'm sick. I ate some garlic soup but each time I put the soup in my mouth, I felt a little nauseous but didn't throw up. Anyways, I checked my temperature and it was at 100 F, no more no less. I checked the second time and I believe it was at 99.7 F or maybe 97 F. I'm drinking lavender chamomile tea, which has probiotics that are good for digestion.
Coming home, I noticed a drawing in my room. My dad drew a chicken and 6 baby chickens. I love it so much I'll cherish it forever. Looking at the photo now, this bring tears to my eyes. I love my dad so much.
Feel better soon.

Ya not to worry it’s only -27… not -60!

But ya I really wonder how people keep chickens and such up here!

@Lexicon we need your cold weather expertise with chickens!!!
I don’t think there is a real difference between -27 and -60. They are both too cold to contemplate.

Back
Top Bottom