She and Marty must be related! I had her for several months before she went broody! Oh she laid an egg most days but wasn't the slightest bit interested in being broody, I had something like 7 hens go broody this past summer and Marty could have cared less!

Then once they were all done she decides Hey I want to sit on eggs! And turned into some demon child! biting, scratching, screaming like something out of The Exorcist.... hahaha
The amazing thing is all it took to set her off was not collecting her eggs for 2 days. What the heck? I tried that back in the spring when I WANTED her to go broody. She looked at me like I was stupid and went on her merry way. Silkie hens will drive you crazy. They are either poor layers and constantly broody or wonderful layers and only go broody when it is convenient for them. No in-betweens. And yet here I am wanting and plotting for more of the little devils.

Same thing here in Central Valley California cold, rain, wind. Unhappy chooks
The chooks are much happier now. I just fed them some leftovers. Ham, gravy, stuffing, tortillas and cheese, and potatoes. Big plate of stuff that I cut into pieces and heated. Yummy! :drool

Caturday

We have two cats they are both outside barn cats. We saved them from a flea market about 4 years ago. I don't think I have formally introduced them.

Berretta - she is elusive but sweet and absolutely gorgeous. She is also an amazing huntress. No that not something in her nose its just a spot but its fooled me multiple times into thinking she got hurt.

Also my husband named them can you tell? 😂

0B0BAE21-FE4F-43EA-A8AD-8E9CC873AF42.jpeg

Kimber he is always underfoot always wanting to be with people and in the middle of anything that is going on.
B9BE3CE8-A9C5-4D11-880B-9793BED56B8B.jpeg

As for feed - well they look very healthy to me! Way back when they didn't have fancy chicken food - they ate whatever they found and scraps of meat, bread, and veggies they were thrown by the owner! I remember my grandmother telling me the hens received fish guts, and bones and skin, stale bread, and any other leftovers (my family is from the east coast - fishing outport).
Growing up our chickens got feed corn and whatever they could find to eat. And scraps from the kitchen. They lived very long lives. Those the weasel didn't kill that is.

Back
Top Bottom