Confused by the hens!

The hens have been in the same coop since day one (they are 2.5 years old), but starting this fall/winter they have been reluctant to go in at the end of the day.

I tried turning on a light and that seemed to help, but this evening once again they were all gathered by the front door as the sun was setting. They have been locked out several times when the auto door closed and I don't know why they don't just go inside! :barnie

This evening I had even sprinkled scratch in the doorway and just inside the coop, but nope they were not going in!

Finally I went outside and entered the coop through the people door and they slowly ventured in worriedly while I sat inside watching. They were making unhappy nervous sounds, not a full on alarm call, but concerned and they were all joining in as they looked around.

I left them once everyone was in and checked in later and they were all roosted.

Earlier this week it was cold, so they chose not to go outside. Today was warmer and I shoveled paths for them since they don't like walking in deep snow and they spent the entire afternoon outside. Usually there's a reason why they do things that I don't understand and I am sure that is the case now, but I wonder what it is! 🤔

Clara and Penny checking out the trail to the compost bin:
View attachment 3340319
There could be something in the coop, mites, etc. that are making it uncomfortable for them to roost there. Maybe the coop needs a deep clean.

Confused by the hens!

The hens have been in the same coop since day one (they are 2.5 years old), but starting this fall/winter they have been reluctant to go in at the end of the day.

I tried turning on a light and that seemed to help, but this evening once again they were all gathered by the front door as the sun was setting. They have been locked out several times when the auto door closed and I don't know why they don't just go inside! :barnie

This evening I had even sprinkled scratch in the doorway and just inside the coop, but nope they were not going in!

Finally I went outside and entered the coop through the people door and they slowly ventured in worriedly while I sat inside watching. They were making unhappy nervous sounds, not a full on alarm call, but concerned and they were all joining in as they looked around.

I left them once everyone was in and checked in later and they were all roosted.

Earlier this week it was cold, so they chose not to go outside. Today was warmer and I shoveled paths for them since they don't like walking in deep snow and they spent the entire afternoon outside. Usually there's a reason why they do things that I don't understand and I am sure that is the case now, but I wonder what it is! 🤔

View attachment 3340319
Wolverine? Fisher? Fox? Rat? do you have rats up there?

Do they go back in during the daytime? Hmmm interesting....

Confused by the hens!

Maybe an intruder like a mouse, rat, or a snake? Totally 100% guessing but it seems like a possibility as to why they are reluctant to go in.
A Little Scary

I don't think she enjoyed this today. I may need to close the bedroom door tonight so she can't get at me when I'm sleeping.

View attachment 3340332
Oh my, I have to agree he does indeed seem rather unhappy in this picture :(

Phyllis and Aurora look fabulous and actually not uncomfortable at all! Did the people doing the photos comment on a chicken santa photo?

Introducing our new girls

We’ve just been to the zoo and purchased three (hopefully) pullets (not sure how old; ‘a couple of months’ is the best I could get). They are:

Angel (named and chosen by my son)
D3801FD4-54DF-42D4-AE0E-BE171A1C1F38.jpeg

Bella (left) and Gizelle (right)
4FAB0BAB-3F58-4834-8C11-6DC5B43DEFF7.jpeg

They’re a barnyard mix, which is what I wanted. I think Bella is the one making baby-peeps, she could be about 16-18 weeks old. She’s tiny and has some Frizzle in her.
oh how darling - can't wait to see photos of them running around outside doing crazy chicken things 💕 ❤️ :love

There could be something in the coop, mites, etc. that are making it uncomfortable for them to roost there. Maybe the coop needs a deep clean.
It's weird because after they eat their "breakfast," they gather back on the roost to hang out for the many hours until the sun rises, so I don't think it's the roost, but something is setting them off.

This all started when it started to get dark in the evening. Most of the spring/summer the hens go to bed when it's still light out as we're quite far north. I have only a very weak string of fairy lights in the coop, so it's often darker in the coop than outside. Perhaps I will try to set up some brighter lights to turn on in the evening and see if that makes a difference. I don't really want to stimulate the hens to lay during winter though as I feel they deserve a break, but maybe I can rig a timer.

It was very cold today but we did venture out quickly to grab some kitty photos and give the chickens treats and some free range time. We only last about 45 minutes today. It was about 4pm and I decided lets just herd them back into coop a but early so I dint have to come back out in the cold in an hour and half to shut the door. Well oh my goodness they went in without to much trouble but oh my did I get very loudly bawked at. I swear they were yelling: human we have and hour and 28 minutes left to be outside this is unacceptable! Chickens sure do have strong opinions goodness who knew??

Back
Top Bottom