I would watch in real time. It could be a cat. You have those up where you are right?
I will watch tomorrow night. Do you mean like a lynx? We do have them and I have seen them on our property before but our run is fenced and netted, so it'll have to be something smaller. The fencing has 2x4 grids, so it certainly couldn't keep everything out.

When I was driving my neighbour to our curling match the other day, we saw an ermine and she told me that they have an ermine family living on their property across the street from us and that there's another family that she has seen on our rural road! I know that they could do some major damage to a flock of chickens.

I will watch tomorrow night. Do you mean like a lynx? We do have them and I have seen them on our property before but our run is fenced and netted, so it'll have to be something smaller. The fencing has 2x4 grids, so it certainly couldn't keep everything out.

When I was driving my neighbour to our curling match the other day, we saw an ermine and she told me that they have an ermine family living on their property across the street from us and that there's another family that she has seen on our rural road! I know that they could do some major damage to a flock of chickens.
No I mean a feral house cat. Chickens will stand away from a cat but not run from them. That sounds like the behavior you are describing. A feral cat would be looking for someplace warm to sleep as well at this time of year.

I hope you are able to treat the mites, that looks very painful!

So, it is harder to tell with the leg mites, and the spur not showing. I'm going to take a wild guess and say he is about 18 mos.....quite possibly under a year.

Last edited:
No I can't buy that here :(
You can coat his legs and feet well with oil (run into/under scales), or, petroleum jelly. I prefer the non-petro chemicals, but either of the two - whichever you can get - will work. Coconut oil works really well as it is semi-solid at room temperature, but melts as you apply it/in our hand, so it is easier to work with.

Last edited:
Introducing our new girls

We’ve just been to the zoo and purchased three (hopefully) pullets (not sure how old; ‘a couple of months’ is the best I could get). They are:

Angel (named and chosen by my son)
D3801FD4-54DF-42D4-AE0E-BE171A1C1F38.jpeg

Bella (left) and Gizelle (right)
4FAB0BAB-3F58-4834-8C11-6DC5B43DEFF7.jpeg

They’re a barnyard mix, which is what I wanted. I think Bella is the one making baby-peeps, she could be about 16-18 weeks old. She’s tiny and has some Frizzle in her.
Bella looks quite red in the comb and wattles...she could be all of the 18 weeks......?maybe plus some?

I hope these three live a long and happy/healthy life with you! 💞 :hugs 💞

Confused by the hens!

The hens have been in the same coop since day one (they are 2.5 years old), but starting this fall/winter they have been reluctant to go in at the end of the day.

I tried turning on a light and that seemed to help, but this evening once again they were all gathered by the front door as the sun was setting. They have been locked out several times when the auto door closed and I don't know why they don't just go inside! :barnie

This evening I had even sprinkled scratch in the doorway and just inside the coop, but nope they were not going in!

Finally I went outside and entered the coop through the people door and they slowly ventured in worriedly while I sat inside watching. They were making unhappy nervous sounds, not a full on alarm call, but concerned and they were all joining in as they looked around.

I left them once everyone was in and checked in later and they were all roosted.

Earlier this week it was cold, so they chose not to go outside. Today was warmer and I shoveled paths for them since they don't like walking in deep snow and they spent the entire afternoon outside. Usually there's a reason why they do things that I don't understand and I am sure that is the case now, but I wonder what it is! 🤔

Clara and Penny checking out the trail to the compost bin:
View attachment 3340319
It’s a winter wonderland there 😊

Confused by the hens!

The hens have been in the same coop since day one (they are 2.5 years old), but starting this fall/winter they have been reluctant to go in at the end of the day.

I tried turning on a light and that seemed to help, but this evening once again they were all gathered by the front door as the sun was setting. They have been locked out several times when the auto door closed and I don't know why they don't just go inside! :barnie

This evening I had even sprinkled scratch in the doorway and just inside the coop, but nope they were not going in!

Finally I went outside and entered the coop through the people door and they slowly ventured in worriedly while I sat inside watching. They were making unhappy nervous sounds, not a full on alarm call, but concerned and they were all joining in as they looked around.

I left them once everyone was in and checked in later and they were all roosted.

Earlier this week it was cold, so they chose not to go outside. Today was warmer and I shoveled paths for them since they don't like walking in deep snow and they spent the entire afternoon outside. Usually there's a reason why they do things that I don't understand and I am sure that is the case now, but I wonder what it is! 🤔

Clara and Penny checking out the trail to the compost bin:
View attachment 3340319
Might you have rats? 🤷‍♀️That might be bothering them if you got a rat living there. (and there is NEVER just one.)

Back
Top Bottom