Tonight's Roosting

This is a long video. it took them 15 minutes to settle everything. I feel most bad for Betty. I'm going to go out and put her on a roost myself tonight.

Aurora should be happy. She was able to harass everyone tonight. 🙄

I was about to write your new roost bar arrangements really seemed to have done the trick. Then this!
One thought, it reminds me of some Buckeyes shenanigans, in that Hazel really controls roosting time. She won’t let anyone go up until Peanut has decided and indicated she’s ready to go. Then Hazel and Peanut go up. But Popcorn sometimes wants to go before then, and Hazel chases her away from the ladder. I believe I’ve seen her chase Butters off too. Maybe this is something like Aurora is doing.

Bad Kelly…

Rookie mistake - not plugging your truck in when it’s -40… dumb dumb dumb! But to be fair all this mild weather lulled me into a false sense of ‘it’s not winter yet’! Wrong!

So I plugged Ol Blue in… and hoped for the best.
45DD71FD-4CC7-44EC-B942-3DA2C56B2D53.jpeg

And then the Assistant Construction Manager tried to give a boost - but nope Ol Blue refused to start…
2A8BFAC3-3835-4C21-A599-4429144A83EB.jpeg

Meanwhile back on the Funny Farm where it’s still Fall, with no snow in sight, I too am watching the roosting drama tonight!

After Blanche and Penelope’s early roosting, everyone else had a free for all! Mr P threw Buttercup and Rose off the top of the nestbox, and now he had a king size bed to himself!
03F89D09-D151-4962-8EF0-A7FD708CE3E0.png

Darn full moons! Bring out the crazies and cold weather!

There is no Roost Justice

Poor Betty. I made things worse. I went out, pushed Phyllis over and put Betty on the roost next to her. I thought they would settle right down.

WRONG

Phyllis proceeded to pummel Betty until she gave up, hopped down, and went into the nest box again.

All I did was get Betty beat up. ☹️
I’d almost say what they could use would be individually boxed roosts. Like tall nest boxes with roost set into them placed at the high roost level. Nobody can see or reach into a neighbors box.

I actually had to do this with my horse stalls, everyone says they want to have sight of those next to them, but all I dealt with was broken boards from horses kicking at their neighbours!

So up went 6' high walls and peace reigned!
I’d almost say what they could use would be individually boxed roosts. Like tall nest boxes with roost set into them placed at the high roost level. Nobody can see or reach into a neighbors box.

Bad Kelly…

Rookie mistake - not plugging your truck in when it’s -40… dumb dumb dumb! But to be fair all this mild weather lulled me into a false sense of ‘it’s not winter yet’! Wrong!

So I plugged Ol Blue in… and hoped for the best.
View attachment 3342686

And then the Assistant Construction Manager tried to give a boost - but nope Ol Blue refused to start…
View attachment 3342688

Meanwhile back on the Funny Farm where it’s still Fall, with no snow in sight, I too am watching the roosting drama tonight!

After Blanche and Penelope’s early roosting, everyone else had a free for all! Mr P threw Buttercup and Rose off the top of the nestbox, and now he had a king size bed to himself!
View attachment 3342691

Darn full moons! Bring out the crazies and cold weather!
Rookie mistake 2, I just grabbed the metal door handle with my bare hand, and got a frost burn 😡

I am having a silly gal day!

So rooky mistake - I forgot to plug Ol Blue in.... and you guessed it - wouldn't start. The Boss tried to boost but still wouldn't start. Likely froze up solid!
Yes, when that happens to us, my husband uses a tiger torch and blasts heat through a piece of metal ducting placed under the engine of the vehicle. It works pretty well. He also has had to remove the battery and warm it up inside.

Ridiculous cold weather tax:
IMG_20221203_141616134_HDR.jpg

I was about to write your new roost bar arrangements really seemed to have done the trick. Then this!
One thought, it reminds me of some Buckeyes shenanigans, in that Hazel really controls roosting time. She won’t let anyone go up until Peanut has decided and indicated she’s ready to go. Then Hazel and Peanut go up. But Popcorn sometimes wants to go before then, and Hazel chases her away from the ladder. I believe I’ve seen her chase Butters off too. Maybe this is something like Aurora is doing.
I really thought we were going to get the full show tonight. Did you see her look up at Sydney and try to figure out how to get her down. I thought she was going to do the jump pull again.

Maybe they should all have doors on them so each chicken can barricade themselves in.
Just kidding! I like your idea, but you know they have ways of messing with whatever we come up with!

There is no Roost Justice

Poor Betty. I made things worse. I went out, pushed Phyllis over and put Betty on the roost next to her. I thought they would settle right down.

WRONG

Phyllis proceeded to pummel Betty until she gave up, hopped down, and went into the nest box again.

All I did was get Betty beat up. ☹️
Probably best to just let Betty sleep in a nest box. But I wondered, how's Betty with Glynda and Lady F? Would it be a demotion to roost there?

Back
Top Bottom