Can you just have them rotate the coop, since it is sitting on blocks? That might really help without the cost of a remodel.
I would have done this but with the doors being that way around when the winds come my girls would freeze. My home is facing them so it's a big help this time of year.

Plus it took 4 men too carry this coop, it's very heavy and I must say well made, except for the man having cotton wool in his ears he did a good job

Thanks for your thinking on this situation. I really appreciate that.

That run took forever too clean yesterday, it's been a very hard week here... I'm soooo relieved it's been done before this snow we have been warned about.

We also stood a pallet up the fence for an extra outside perch and hideaway then put some wood in that playhouse for perches. It's a nice area too keep out of the rain and still be outdoors

Here they are just before bed, they had a good day outside today.
20221208_160314.jpg

20221208_160300.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think I will manage to get thirsty pictures today- I'm coming down with the " cold" my partner kindly shared with me ( likely COVID but since we're not seeing anyone, it's not worth the hour driving to get a test). I've dug up some from the past days and further .

What I would like to know (unless you don't want to speak about it) is how you feel about Aurora. And how others who are confronted with real bullies, or fights, feel about it.

I'm asking because I get really angry sometimes at my chicken when they act like this, and I shout at the bully, which of course I regret afterwards. It's just the "chicken way" of course but I find it hard to accept.

Contrary to you it was much easier here when I had only the 6 ex-batts : they grew up together with only very light bullying. Ever since I brought Théo and Chipie in, and then Chipie hatched for us, things seem to have become so complicated.

They teach us a lesson in letting go, you mean 😁.

Congratulations to both @RoyalChick and @BY Bob for the winning photos 💚!
Merle on Monday. Good thoughts would be appreciated for her- she's been acting off the last two days.
View attachment 3344104
When Gaston was a babe
View attachment 3344105
Vanille (†💚) drinking from the hose in July 2020
View attachment 3344106
And the same summer sharing a water bucket with ...ewes 😝. (Please note this is a big no-no in regard to biosecurity, but it was that or leave the ewes on their own in the mountains with a herd of wolves hanging around.)
View attachment 3344107
Sending good thoughts for you and Merle! She is lovely. Hope she feels better soon!

I spend a lot of time thinking on why they act the way they do. What is a chicken's motivation? Part of what has drawn me to these fascinating animals is how they organize their societies. I have cameras so I can see them without my presence interfering. It is never dull observing them (Aurora assures that all on her own).

I am firmly convinced that I rarely solve things for them. Of course sometimes I just can't restrain myself like when I moved Betty the other night.

I mostly try to adapt the environment as best I can to help them but mostly it is up to them.

I promise I would never let anyone be physically hurt and would definitely intervene to stop that from occurring.
I am with you on this. I find them fascinating and love having the cameras to watch them without me interfering.
Even with just two chickens they have definite social norms. Diana is clearly the leader even though she always loses the roosting spot battle. Basically the two of them do what Diana wants to do. Bernie is always running to catch up to be with Diana - it is always Diana who initiates a new activity and Bernie who follows.

My back injection cost. Good thing I dont pay anything. Funny neck injections were $510 dollars

New Estimate​

Physician Services​

Reference number ending in 7357​

Hi Valarie,
You have a new estimate for a visit on Dec 12.

Estimate Summary​

Total Fees​
$2,016.00​

Insurance Covers​
-$2,016.00​

Your Estimated Portion​
$0.00​

IMG_1282 (1).JPG

Back
Top Bottom