What the Cluck!

it is 14°F (-10°C) out.
Screenshot_20221225_013408_AccuWeather.jpg

And my Yahoo's are playing roosting games. I can tell it was Aurora because of where she had to roost tonight. It was too dark for her to get up on the high roost when she finally roosted.

The main coop only has 3 hens in it.
The Main Coop Cam_20221225_13514.jpg

Where are the other 4!

Well 3 of them in the Cluckle Hut huddled together

Roosting in the Cluckle Hut_20221225_03857.jpg

That leaves Betty. Where the heck is Betty!?

Cluckle Hut Nest Box_20221225_04104.jpg

She was hidden by Lady Featherington's full figure. It's good they are all huddled together for warmth. I can not be angrier at Aurora but I'm happy the other 4 stuck together tonight.

I was thinking the other day how i kind of regretted giving up the freedom in the run to move about if no one was going to sleep in the Hut. I will never regret building it again. It is clearly a place of refuge and may have saved some hens tonight.

With the wind we had, and the sudden drop from the 30’sF to -7F there was a dusting of snow on the western side of the big run, plus what looks like hoar frost from the warmer ground and litter on top of the litter.

It was pretty cold this morning, the lowest was - 7F so I waited on opening the coop until 7:15 or so. They were not looking like they were anxious to get out either. Plus it took awhile to get my outside clothes on! They didn’t leave until an hour later, and here they are just a little while ago on the panel heaters. Peanut and Butters, both molting, look cold. But that’s Hazel who’s snuggled down on the left. Popcorn is just hunkered by herself :(

View attachment 3357544

But right now, all lined up and sharing the two panels, yay! Happy to see Popcorn allowed to get in there. Sometimes she retreats to the coop and the warm pad there due to pecking.
View attachment 3357549
Looks like they know how to cope. I'm very glad to see it.

Their baths always start around 11-11:30am here, an interesting fact I noticed this year. Does anyone else notice their routine like that?
Mine dust bathe in the early afternoon around 2 to 3:00 pm. I think they like the sun and how it hits the run at that time. It is the same time most every day.

My friend made the card above, it took him days.

He was the first person to actually touch my cat, he managed this months before the cat moved in...No else but myself can get near him, except for my friend. This cat snuggled into his lap for an hour the other day.. even though my friend can only visit a few times a year this cat knows him right away.

My dog protested because he thinks my old mate comes here to see him so there was a big time affection battle going on but catkins got his fair share.

The card was made with the cat in mind my friend has a huge amount of love for him ❤
That's wonderful! 🥰

Plan B has went into effect. My brother works right beside TSC. That is the store that I more regularly saw white leghorn chicks. He has 30 in his wallet from me. He has agreed to weekly check Rural king, and once TSC gets their chicks in check that store as well. First time he spots leghorns he has been instructed to pick up 3 of them and then to call me to tell me what else is available and I'll choose 3 more from my options.
This is a good plan! 👍👍

Okay, I'm not sure of the exact prices, so I'll use nice round numbers for ease.

If original price was $20 and new price is $50, it is 150% increase, or you could say it is selling at 250% of it's original price.

original price X percent increase = amount of increase

amount of increase = $30 here (50 - 20 = 30)
original price = $20 here

So:
20 x Y = 30

20 x Y = 30
20 20

y = 1.5 (decimal)
150 % = percent increase

can also use this formula:

ending price = percent #
original price 100

Here it would be:

50 = Y
20 100

Cross multiply (diagonally through equal sign)

50 x 100 = 20Y
500 = 20Y

500 = 20Y
20 = 20

500/20 = Y

250% = Y (So, ending price is 250% of original.) If you want price increase, it would look like this:

amt. increase = Y
original price 100

50-20 = 30 amount of increase

30 = Y
20 100

same [process, yields Y = 150% this is the percent of INCREASE

Okay, I'm sure I owe lots of taxes:

"Give me your cold, huddled masses"View attachment 3357872View attachment 3357875
The girls are fluffed up to about twice their normal size!

And my last momma. She just did a very light molt after hatching my last batch of chicks, an this past week decided to do a full on molt, Last week I thought something had gotten into the coop overnight....counted all heads...nope, all accounted for ? What the heck? Then, she comes out from behind another hen & ONG, half naked.! She is already starting to look a lot better, but this is what you get when you go broody late!!!!! Silly Girl.View attachment 3357882View attachment 3357883
Putting those math skills to good use. I like it! 👍

Thank you Bob! Merry Christmas to you and your family. I only wish the video was longer. 🥰

We are having a great day with BBQ and chickens (they are not getting bbq'd).
I wish I had taken longer video as well but that was a long time ago and storage space on a phone was precious at the time and videos were huge......

Back
Top Bottom