New Rule
This has nothing to do with anything anyone has said personally. This is just me. The term "flighty" is being thrown around a lot here lately since @RebeccaBoyd got leghorns. I find it offensive. It is a sloppy way to describe leghorns started by people who do not view them as anything other than little egg machines who frustrate their efforts to keep them confined in tiny places.

Therefore we now have a New Rule on this thread.

The use of the word "Flighty" to describe leghorns is officially banned.
I will defend the reputation of the leghorn to my last breath. It is a sorely misunderstood chicken breed. A breed where human beings have destroyed their genetics to benefit us and not the birds. A breed which is called flighty because they somehow are clever enough to escape human efforts at keeping them in captivity. A breed where the vast majority of their kind spend their entire lives in tiny cages so humans can save a dollar on eggs.

I will stand for it no more. If you wish to disparage leghorns go start your own thread. None of our many leghorns has given us any trouble outside of dying too young.

Exhibit A
View attachment 3390281

Exhibit B
View attachment 3390280

Exhibit C
View attachment 3390283

And Exhibit D, THE GREATEST HEN EVER!
View attachment 3390306

And just because, Exhibits C & D together.

View attachment 3390282
Yes - the same with Arabian horses - they have been called flighty to often because people don't know how to deal with their energetic ways.

I sometimes think that people just want to take the easy way out when dealing with people and/or animals and believe all must be calm, no emotions, quiet, unassuming.... this way they don't have to learn how to deal with different emotions, or energy levels.

In reality every living creature is different, even plants have differences! I can't even tell you how many times I have been told I talk too loud, laugh too loud, sing too loud... walk too loud... swear too much - sheesh (ok maybe I can work on the swearing...)! When I was younger it really bothered me - now I just laugh and tell them learn to enjoy life, live large, and 'I am not changing to suit your tastes'. At my age I am NOT likely to change and don't want to! So what if I have an evil temper, and laugh too readily - I am me, and so are little hens and horses!

Is my Arabian a nut case? Yep she sure can be compared to a quiet quarter horse. Are Henny Penny and Marty noisy little hens compared to my cousin's hens? They sure are! compared to hens that likely will never go broody - and I just had an epiphany!

Has anyone else noted that the louder they squawk when laying an egg the more they are prone to going broody? I have never heard Penelope carry on like Henny Penny does!

It has been my experience that using personality traits to describe breeds is highly inaccurate, and very subjective! What one might call 'flighty', or 'calm', or 'aggressive', I might call something different. For me when I am looking at perspective chicks to get in the Spring I am looking at egg colour, feather colour and patterns. Not personality; even body shape is hard to predict many times!

OK that is all I am going to say on the matter,

Yours Truly,

Ms Flighty Noisy Swears-too-much Kelly

💕

The Buckeyes did the same thing at just a few days old, digging away everywhere. They’d be at the feeder, it was hanging and I had to keep raising it as they grew, they would get it swinging by digging at it.

Here's a dustbathing picture when they were about 2+ 1/2 months old, August 19, 2020.
View attachment 3389990

Here's some digging just 16 days earlier, August 3, 2020, at about two months
View attachment 3389997
View attachment 3389995
View attachment 3389999
I just looooove Buckeye chicks. I think they are the prettiest chicks of all (and I’ve hsd two buckeyes and 13 different breeds, if I counted correctly.) 🤣

Still getting dizzy but the blood pressure is dropping and causing me to almost pass out. Calling Drs. in the morning for an appt.
View attachment 3390210
Yes please call the Dr! and be careful!

DSCN0352.JPG

I am going to need some time to absorb this post (130,995) I’m not sure the motivation is behind the “new rule”.
I hope this was not brought about by any anger or malice a forethought caused by anyone. :confused:
No anger or malice towards anyone but I'm not discussing this. If you read descriptions elsewhere it is not a compliment towards the chicken. It is used in a derogatory fashion. I don't ask much here.

Be nice to everyone.

Keep it on chickens or pay tax.

Now I'm adding don't call leghorns flighty.

I don't think I'm asking a lot. You can still comment on leghorn characteristics. You can even say bad things about them if you want. Just be specific. Don't be lazy and call them "flighty".

New Rule
This has nothing to do with anything anyone has said personally. This is just me. The term "flighty" is being thrown around a lot here lately since @RebeccaBoyd got leghorns. I find it offensive. It is a sloppy way to describe leghorns started by people who do not view them as anything other than little egg machines who frustrate their efforts to keep them confined in tiny places.

Therefore we now have a New Rule on this thread.

The use of the word "Flighty" to describe leghorns is officially banned.
I will defend the reputation of the leghorn to my last breath. It is a sorely misunderstood chicken breed. A breed where human beings have destroyed their genetics to benefit us and not the birds. A breed which is called flighty because they somehow are clever enough to escape human efforts at keeping them in captivity. A breed where the vast majority of their kind spend their entire lives in tiny cages so humans can save a dollar on eggs.

I will stand for it no more. If you wish to disparage leghorns go start your own thread. None of our many leghorns has given us any trouble outside of dying too young.

Exhibit A
View attachment 3390281

Exhibit B
View attachment 3390280

Exhibit C
View attachment 3390283

And Exhibit D, THE GREATEST HEN EVER!
View attachment 3390306

And just because, Exhibits C & D together.

View attachment 3390282
I love this rule!!! I have not had any trouble with my Leghorns (and Leghorn mixes), either. In fact, Margo was one of the cuddliest hens I ever had. Having said that, I will note that they have been some of the quickest and most alert hens I’ve had. I consider that an asset to the tribe! And all three let me cuddle them. (Dorothy the least, since she was raised by Cashew, but she was still was easily handled and very friendly). Lghorns are super smart, friendly, and inquisitive, too!

Exhibit A (Dorothy)
C3C36DE9-9E95-4EA5-8CC2-B0B710FFF00C.jpeg

Exhibit B (Flash, so named because she was quick as a flash as a chick… still is!)
B2E68335-4D87-4804-92B8-13078FB18572.jpeg

Exhibit C (Margo)
5CC138BF-1663-47CE-B36D-04671BFACFE8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom