Silver Spangled vs gold pencilled. I've heard of gold Spangled and a few other varieties, but they're harder to find.
I am completely astonished constantly by the variety of colours shapes eggs feathers etc of chickens !! 3’ high chickens, fluffy chickens, chickens with mutant feet, naked chickens, teeny tiny chickens - with wattles, without wattles, 3 toes 4 toes…. Tails no tails….

And don’t get me started on combs!!!

I want one of each variety - gonna need a huge barn!!!

Any suggestions?
Seriously though I saw someone recommending Orpingtons. I have to agree with that. Mine are curious and friendly. Butter likes to be a lap chicken with mom. All 4 of my girls are nosey and want to supervise or be right in the middle of whatever I'm doing. Deep down I know they think I have food somewhere on me, half the time they are right. You have a wide variety of colors to choose from. Lavenders, buffs, white, jubilee, and then all the pretty laced varieties. A Silver laced girl would fit in I think.

How are they in the cold?

Oh well doesn’t matter I have never seen them here at all. Boo hoo such gorgeous colours…
They're smaller birds. Seem to do ok with snow. VERY alert, speedy little buggers (he's faster than the white sapphires), supposedly like to fly and perch up in trees. He hasn't done much of the tree perching, but does like roosting high in the coop. One of his daughters is the only bird to make it onto the coop roof, and she's got his build. She's also one who took flight up into the trees between the coop and the house: 8 feet or so up without doing all the measuring first. She was avoiding one of the Idiots.

:goodpost: "Flighty" around here is good too. Agile, alert, fly well, escape artists (good predator evasion), wary, sneaky (hidden nests, especially if even the magpies can't get to them). Personally, the only negative thing i have to say about leghorns is their eggs are too big. For the size of their bodies, the eggs are massive and breeders have done them a serious disservice in going that route. They aren't the only breed caught in that either.
It don’t know, I was berated so much that to me the word does have a negative connotation, and no one wants a crazy horse (except me the crazy horse lady!).

Like people all animals are individuals, I don’t like using such descriptions for a breed, for instance calm and gentle for silkies - meanwhile Marty is a demon! Can u see her with babies 😳!! You won be able to get anywhere near her or she will attack you!

I like to stick to facts - egg colour feather colour and patterns, weight, leg colour, toes…. You know tangible things🥰

So this is what I want: chicks who will lay dark brown eggs, speckled feathers, maybe fuzzy legs or not, wattles and a nice comb ❤️

Breed suggestions?

Seriously though I saw someone recommending Orpingtons. I have to agree with that. Mine are curious and friendly. Butter likes to be a lap chicken with mom. All 4 of my girls are nosey and want to supervise or be right in the middle of whatever I'm doing. Deep down I know they think I have food somewhere on me, half the time they are right. You have a wide variety of colors to choose from. Lavenders, buffs, white, jubilee, and then all the pretty laced varieties. A Silver laced girl would fit in I think.
But I have mutts and they are also like that, I don’t think personality type is a breed prerequisite.

Back
Top Bottom