They're smaller birds. Seem to do ok with snow. VERY alert, speedy little buggers (he's faster than the white sapphires), supposedly like to fly and perch up in trees. He hasn't done much of the tree perching, but does like roosting high in the coop. One of his daughters is the only bird to make it onto the coop roof, and she's got his build. She's also one who took flight up into the trees between the coop and the house: 8 feet or so up without doing all the measuring first. She was avoiding one of the Idiots.
So they are bantams I take it.

They sure are cute, I have never seen any advertisements for them here at all.

I love this rule!!! I have not had any trouble with my Leghorns (and Leghorn mixes), either. In fact, Margo was one of the cuddliest hens I ever had. Having said that, I will note that they have been some of the quickest and most alert hens I’ve had. I consider that an asset to the tribe! And all three let me cuddle them. (Dorothy the least, since she was raised by Cashew, but she was still was easily handled and very friendly). Lghorns are super smart, friendly, and inquisitive, too!

Exhibit A (Dorothy)
View attachment 3390372

Exhibit B (Flash, so named because she was quick as a flash as a chick… still is!)
View attachment 3390373

Exhibit C (Margo)
View attachment 3390374
PS
I love that second gal what colour egg does she lay?? White?

We have been discussing just that. Her words were I can say whatever I want she is going to do what she wants to do. I'm trying to limit her to 1 coffee cup a day of meal worms. She doesn't care. I'm trying to convince her it is not good for them but it is not going well.
My partner is the same. He just ignores my protests when he gives the "seeds and bugs" every morning and evening.

Leghorns were not on "My" personal want list, they are mom's idea. If I had to choose a brand new breed for me it would have been the cute little D'uccles. Now that I have them I will not complain. I like smart chickens. I hope to be able to train them a few tricks. I would love one that would fly up on my arm on command.
I would love some but having heard about their reproductive issues I am very Leary to get any. But I do like their combs and wattles !

My partner is the same. He just ignores my protests when he gives the "seeds and bugs" every morning and evening.
Ya! My mum has been giving everyone way too much left overs! When I whine she tells me they look at her begging for food…

Guess they trained her well!

It don’t know, I was berated so much that to me the word does have a negative connotation, and no one wants a crazy horse (except me the crazy horse lady!).

Like people all animals are individuals, I don’t like using such descriptions for a breed, for instance calm and gentle for silkies - meanwhile Marty is a demon! Can u see her with babies 😳!! You won be able to get anywhere near her or she will attack you!

I like to stick to facts - egg colour feather colour and patterns, weight, leg colour, toes…. You know tangible things🥰

So this is what I want: chicks who will lay dark brown eggs, speckled feathers, maybe fuzzy legs or not, wattles and a nice comb ❤️

Breed suggestions?
Barnevelders will get you laced feathers and dark brown eggs

Marans will get you dark eggs, large comb, and variety of colors depending upon which marans. French (filling in the blank) Marans will have feathered feet.

Welsummers will get you large comb and dark eggs.

Penedesenca and Empordanesa will also get you dark eggs and unique combs, but aren't exactly cold hardy (from Spain). Both of these are REALLY hard to find.

Going off a search for dark brown egg layer breeds. Bear in mind larger comb/wattles: more exposed skin => more prone to frostbite.

So they are bantams I take it.

They sure are cute, I have never seen any advertisements for them here at all.
They are NOT bantams. Similar sized to Polish, puts them on the small end for standard sized chickens. They do grow their feathers in neat/snug (sleek looking rather than loose/fluffy looking) if that makes any sense. The feathers lay close to their body....like a crow's feathers.

They're originally from Germany. In looking up Hamburg, it's Northern Germany, just below the Denmark Peninsula, so damp, cold winters I think

Last edited:
PS
I love that second gal what colour egg does she lay?? White?
No, she’s a Legbar and lays blue eggs. They other two, who are no longer alive, laid white eggs. I believe Egg Yolk Peritonitis gone septic got both of them.

Hopefully the Isabella Leghorns I hope to get this year have better genetics.

And while we’re on the subject, and thanks to Kelly’s perfect segway, here’s a shameless plug for Leghorn combs.

5B7D6AD4-2972-4039-B20D-0D0C5BD8B458.jpeg

1DE85D85-D2EB-4F5E-9973-5CF40D380D92.jpeg

2DD60C9D-7C51-4AC2-B71B-597D5485EAEB.jpeg

58F31D28-D0A0-4088-A5E5-107F4A13B1E2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom