-34? I can’t even imagine!
Any advice?
Layers, layers, wind blocks, warm food/water, open doors the least amount possible, heat source so there are warmer patches, cubbies so their body heat can be contained. If you can put enough food and water (in a heated container, even a crock pot set on warm works) out there to last several days so you don't have to open doors, do so. Anything to keep the colder air out and the air inside still.

Monday Mug from Peanut
PXL_20230130_201558857.jpg

By serviceberries do you mean what are also called Juneberries around here? Rowan family? They grow well here and are delicious (taste like a cross between cherries and blueberries) but become tall and skinny and the fruit is too high to reach after some years. Maybe if kept pruned they could be more orchard-like.
It is also called shadbush and Juneberry . There are a few varieties, some are more shrub-like, It will take them a while to grow too tall, plus a little pruning should keep them in check. But I want the one that tops out at about 6'. There is a place around here (about an hour away) that sells native plants, and I am hoping that they carry this. Birds love it, and I assume that the chickens will eat some of the ones lower on the bush, and wild birds will get some...and whatever (chickens, wild birds and other wildlife) will eat whatever falls. I will just have to cut the soil around it annually with a trenching shovel to keep it from expanding too much! (Maybe in early spring the chickens will scratch around it enough to keep new shoots at bay? I had planned on burying chicken wire around it when planted...and not letting the chickens around my 'fencerows' until next year.' I was hoping that 1 row either side of the plantings of 2' wide chicken wire should keep them fairly safe, especially once established. There will be the space adjacent to the plant (either side), but again, if the chickens are kept out for a year, and the majority of their roots is safe, I'm hoping all will be good!. Since the diameter of the saplings will be small, it will not be a big area that chickens can scratch if they do get in.

Mugs Monday:
IMG_2110[1].JPG
IMG_2111[1].JPG

Tax:
The young'uns that like to fly and roost in the tree (my 'christmas tree' decorated with chicken 'ornaments'.:gig:gig
(Getting warm, cooked veggies mixed with their feed crumbs/powder)
IMG_2265[1].JPG

Last edited:
French Black Copper Marans. They are black with 'copper' feathers at the hackles. The 'French' BCM have feathered feet/legs. The 'BCM are clean legged.
(Think: British like to shave their ladies, - so clean legs, the French are fine 'oh natural', so don't. Non-feathered vs feathered legs.!🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ Hope that stereo-typical analogy works (even if it really isn't true.)

View attachment 3390839View attachment 3390848View attachment 3390849

That said, mine are FBCM, but the feathering on their legs is pretty light - I suspect that they are a mix of BCM & FBCM, as the French Black Copper Marans are heavier feathered on the legs, usually.

More like this hen:

View attachment 3390858

Cackle Hatchery
French Black Copper Marans Chicken Breeds ...
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/french-black-copper-marans/
Thank you Professor. I'd love to get myself a (cleaned legged) black copper maran.

Back
Top Bottom