I know I owe taxes, hard to get new photos so here are a few old ones.

9E3699CA-5626-42D4-ADFB-BC413A4A01BF.jpeg

DEDB0482-FEEE-457E-A12D-67BD676128BE.jpeg

75A62571-8BA1-46DF-8A7C-AD0C51ACA28E.jpeg

I finally have some chicken content to post! I present what I came home to after today’s goat walk… one smug and snug as a bug in a rug Marans Cross girl had made herself a lovely little nest, just perfect, directly under the hay feeder in the goat pen! 🤦‍♀️
80A095B5-0AB1-4EC0-9FDD-D14B30ADE344.jpeg
Oh, and she was none too happy about getting removed. It was for her own good/safety, between the predators and the goats rushing and stomping about their feeder, it was not as great a place as she was convinced it was for a nest!

@bgmathteach link to my status update is up above quote from your post. ⬆️

I have already been taking 2 still softeners a day since I broke it, they are getting me a stronger rx to go with it. I will be taking pain meds on recommended schedule, and also trying to drink more. Which causes it’s own set of issues since I can’t just hop up and go to the ladies room as needed. :barnie :lau :lau

I’m still glad I did the nerve block. Just fine-tuning how to wean off it gradually.

At the moment the 50 amp circuit in our generator has died. They are sending us another one overnight, but at the moment I am stuck in my recliner in the mostly reclined position. DH is rushing to our other property to grab our smaller generator. But that will take 2-3 hours.
Be safe! And I hope your power comes back soon. Recovering on its own is more than enough to deal with, never mind heaping power outage issues on top of that.

Everything is right as rain in Chiquita's world this morning. Her and the Marshmallows are out and about in their coop. I have to help them out of their tote as they just cannot quite make it to the top of the tote to fly out after their mom yet. They are trying though and coming close. In another day or two, I will not have to let them out of the tote myself. I did not bring the camera out this morning and she let me interact with them some. It may not be me, but the camera she wants to kill. I will say it now, I am going to have fun with these chicks. We played a game this morning. I took a bun out with me. After I set out the feeder and waterer I tore a tiny piece off of the bun in my pocket. I got their attention with it and then we played chase the bun. I kept my hand low to the ground and they were glued on to it. After a round or two where if they were able to grab it I would drop it the last 2 rounds I did not release the bun until they were standing on my hand then I let it go. Chiquita was watching all this carefully but was ok as long as I did not physically try to pick one up and hold it. After chase the bun was over I kept my hand on the ground open and dropped a tiny piece in my palm. Each time I was rewarded with a marshmallow hopping in my hand to eat it and then staring at me like "where is the rest". I should note this game could not be played with Momma Hens crew at this young age. She is just now allowing me to handle them briefly as she is tucking everyone into bed at night. If they make a distressed peep, she is coming for me.
You are so good at training them well done. You have to stay engaged with them constantly in order to win and keep their trust. Keep it up and they will be flying up into your arms when they are grown. 🥰

Butter molt update.

The queen is no longer naked. She still has a bit to go but she should looks splendidly in about a week. She still has a lot of pin feathers, but not as many between her legs and around her belly. She is not nearly as grouchy now and moving around more since she lost those.
View attachment 3390859View attachment 3390860View attachment 3390861View attachment 3390862View attachment 3390863
That was a really late molt. I'm so glad she is covered again. 6 more weeks of winter to go!

I have two butterfly bushes and I can’t wait for them to get big enough for the chickens to hide under. They are beautiful, thrive here, and the deer don’t seem to eat them!
My butterfly bushes are marvelous and a favorite place for everyone to rest safely.

They grow really fast and are considered invasive (they reseed very easily). It only takes one season for them to become pretty substantial. I am going to prune mine in the chicken area to encourage even more lateral branching - there is one lateral that after only one season is almost substantial enough to be a perch. I think I will try layering some branches of a nearby forsythia and move them into the chicken area once they establish themselves.
I have had mine for a while and I have not gotten a lot of reseeding at all. In fact I wish my purple one would reseed. It's not looked great the last 2 years.

Shrubbery Tax
20230128_154355.jpg

I think you are right about needing more shrubs to keep them safe from raptors. Though I am sure your terracing walls also help.
I spent last season planting shrubs around the chicken area and I am really hoping it helps keep my Princesses safe.
I too am curious about what happens if Eli and Babs start to lay before Bernadette. I still haven't plucked up the courage to weigh her, but I think she is probably twice Eli's size. So I am thinking she is not letting top-hen status slip from her easily.
Egg laying status changes tend to stay within hens of the same age. It is very unlikely that Bernie will be passed by either of them no matter who lays first.

They grow really fast and are considered invasive (they reseed very easily). It only takes one season for them to become pretty substantial. I am going to prune mine in the chicken area to encourage even more lateral branching - there is one lateral that after only one season is almost substantial enough to be a perch. I think I will try layering some branches of a nearby forsythia and move them into the chicken area once they establish themselves.
I missed this post. I usually cut the flowers off once they die. It might be fun to let some go to seed! I have two shades of purple.

C622FFF0-7490-4F5F-BD8D-386B9F4DB120.jpeg

EB315A9D-982D-4F11-BB78-04B0FFF2A600.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom