I hadn't even thought of that devious possibility!
Babs is still in there - I am not going to look until she comes out 'cos I don't want to spook her as you just know she will then find some random place to lay and knowing her it will be up in the rafters. So I keep checking the cameras for signs of movement but she has been in the nearly an hour now. Wish I could figure how to get a camera actually inside the nest boxes!
@bgmathteach will know what colors are likely from her lovely chickens but I think she mentioned blue is a possibility.
Incidentally none of this is prompting Bernie at 10 months old to consider laying an egg herself!
In the rafters... hahahaha!

Henny Penny dug out a cute little bowl in a bale of hay for her first egg! And her second... and the third... I then started shoving her in a nest box after that till she started laying in there :)

But there is always one who will find the weirdest places to lay and egg and the other will follow suit! Which is why I live in fear of coming home in April and finding a cashe of 75 eggs in varying states of decay :)

Like these two that decided again a bale was a great place to lay an egg! Nice quiet place under the sheet that I use to protect the hay from being pooped on....

IMG_20220623_171043.jpg

There was also inside the shavings bag, and on top of the piled shavings bags, on top of the nest box, the 9 I found in that bag of straw, and that time one of my hens went 'missing' and I found her wedged / stuck between two bales - and she laid her egg there to boot!! hahaha!

Are the nest boxes near the front of the coop? I believe they like to be away from a high-traffic area, not near the pop door, out of the way. Maybe with dimmer light. Maybe that's another reason some people put curtains on the boxes? Or, could you put nest boxes in the back near where they are going already?
I know I'm behind on reading this...but all 3 of my girls are all refusing to lay anywhere but right in the high traffic area next to the pop door! They won't even go near the nest boxes. It's making me crazy!

Rosie update.

This will probably bite me in the butt and I will end up coming down with whatever she has but I slept with her last night. She is sicker this time around then with covid. I kept her propped up on several pillows and she woke up about every 3 hours gasping for breath. She finally went into a deep sleep about 5 and slept until 10. When she woke up she had a fever or 102. This is high for her as her normal is in the 97 range. It was very obvious she was not going to be able to go back to school tomorrow so I did what the dr last night told me to do. Call the clinic and if need be they would extend her excuse. Nope, would have had to bring her back in tonight to be re-evaluated. I asked about her chest x-rays, still nothing. Ok, yup that is not going to work for me so I called her primary care doctor and explained the situation. Yes he was fully booked today but told me to have her there in 20 minutes and he would squeeze her in. We knew she tested positive for strep last night, but that was the only test they did. They also told me her ears were clear when that was her chief complaint. He looked at them, ear infection in both ears. She also has bronchitis and she was also given a upper respiratory panel test that will be back by 9 tomorrow. The bronchitis might be pneumonia, he is calling to get a rush to read her x-rays and will call me back this afternoon. We discussed her treatment for when she tested positive for covid and he is not happy. All she was given was a steroid shot, albuterol inhaler and told to take musinex. They did not give any antibiotics stating she did not need them. His treatment protocol for covid is steroid shot plus a z-pack, decongestant and a steroid pack. She does not return to school until Monday. She is to stay on the omnicef, but also got a antibiotic shot and a steroid shot. A steroid pack she starts tomorrow, decongestant, new inhaler that has a steroid in it she takes every 12 hours plus ordering a nebulizer that we should be able to pick up this afternoon and ear drops. She is on the verge of being hospitalized. She still could be pending results of the x-ray and the respiratory panel. Right now she just ate and has fallen back asleep. I'm going to leave her alone for a hour or two then check her temperature again. I know she is contagious, but I will be staying with her until she starts improving.

Rosie update.

This will probably bite me in the butt and I will end up coming down with whatever she has but I slept with her last night. She is sicker this time around then with covid. I kept her propped up on several pillows and she woke up about every 3 hours gasping for breath. She finally went into a deep sleep about 5 and slept until 10. When she woke up she had a fever or 102. This is high for her as her normal is in the 97 range. It was very obvious she was not going to be able to go back to school tomorrow so I did what the dr last night told me to do. Call the clinic and if need be they would extend her excuse. Nope, would have had to bring her back in tonight to be re-evaluated. I asked about her chest x-rays, still nothing. Ok, yup that is not going to work for me so I called her primary care doctor and explained the situation. Yes he was fully booked today but told me to have her there in 20 minutes and he would squeeze her in. We knew she tested positive for strep last night, but that was the only test they did. They also told me her ears were clear when that was her chief complaint. He looked at them, ear infection in both ears. She also has bronchitis and she was also given a upper respiratory panel test that will be back by 9 tomorrow. The bronchitis might be pneumonia, he is calling to get a rush to read her x-rays and will call me back this afternoon. We discussed her treatment for when she tested positive for covid and he is not happy. All she was given was a steroid shot, albuterol inhaler and told to take musinex. They did not give any antibiotics stating she did not need them. His treatment protocol for covid is steroid shot plus a z-pack, decongestant and a steroid pack. She does not return to school until Monday. She is to stay on the omnicef, but also got a antibiotic shot and a steroid shot. A steroid pack she starts tomorrow, decongestant, new inhaler that has a steroid in it she takes every 12 hours plus ordering a nebulizer that we should be able to pick up this afternoon and ear drops. She is on the verge of being hospitalized. She still could be pending results of the x-ray and the respiratory panel. Right now she just ate and has fallen back asleep. I'm going to leave her alone for a hour or two then check her temperature again. I know she is contagious, but I will be staying with her until she starts improving.
Oh poor girl!
Hoping for a speedy turnaround.

Back
Top Bottom