His heart is black, his eye is yellow,
He bullies more attractive birds
With hoodlum deeds and vulgar words,
And should a human interfere,
Attacks that human in the rear.
I cannot help but deem the grackle
An ornithological debacle.

View attachment 3398533
My sister would love that poem! Lots of grackles in deep south tx.

It was that off-hand comment that shocked me into realizing I needed to do something. Funny how that happened.
Always good to notice this before you run into some poor hapless hikers and talk their ear off for an hour or so about chickens, and goats, and the weather! Lol
Do those steps involve chickens?

good to know that the Cabin fever hasn’t set in to the point that we are taking the chickens out for walks around the neighborhood, or shopping… my bets are on @featherhead007 for that sort of shenanigans 😆 one day I fully expect him to sneak Jaffar into Church with him! “Well, it said everyone was welcome!” JK. Although I expect he would be on his best behavior for the service.

I know I'm behind on reading this...but all 3 of my girls are all refusing to lay anywhere but right in the high traffic area next to the pop door! They won't even go near the nest boxes. It's making me crazy!
Oh dear! We all know that story! I finally had to just keep putting my gal in the nest box a few times a day until she laid an egg there a couple times, finally she used the nest box!

oops tax forgot
IMG_2812.JPG

Always good to notice this before you run into some poor hapless hikers and talk their ear off for an hour or so about chickens, and goats, and the weather! Lol

good to know that the Cabin fever hasn’t set in to the point that we are taking the chickens out for walks around the neighborhood, or shopping… my bets are on @featherhead007 for that sort of shenanigans 😆 one day I fully expect him to sneak Jaffar into Church with him! “Well, it said everyone was welcome!” JK. Although I expect he would be on his best behavior for the service.
You can count on that Kris, he’s coming to church with me someday!

I hear you - same up here - that is why I drive the 3+ hrs into Peace on Sunday's - to get away from everyone and push a cart at Walmart like a real person... eat junk food at McD's.

I hope you do something fun and different, I tell people that even if you are not interested in what you are planning on doing, it will give you something different to think about and talk about ❤️

This past weekend here we have had some 'trouble' with the crews - bush party down the road and nefarious activities going on (whispers of booze and drug running here), and someone was arrested (that is the talk of the crews!), and a 'few' had a stern talking to and made examples of. The guys have been overheard saying there is nothing to do here in this camp. And of course like 'kids' the will make their own fun......

So yesterday I met with the other camp coordinator and this camp's manager, we will be having a Super Bowl party on Sunday, and I will plan on getting 'Fight Night' on the Satellite TV for the crews. I am getting a bunch of junk foods for the guys (chips, snacks, the Cook will make pizza...). We are also going to make a place for the guys to just go and hang out without the camp staff being around - right now the only place they can go is the cafeteria, and the staff is always around...

We are trying to nip-in-the-bud any 'cabin fever' that is starting to show up with the crews.

They really need chickens here!

Curly likes to give me conniption fits hop/flapping up onto the window last summer

View attachment 3398224
Have they never worked a remote dry camp before? Or did they forget? 🙄🙄🙄 that’s why you get the $$$ it’s a lot like the fishing boats that do the salmon runs. Good money, but the hours and isolation suck. Teaches you a lot about yourself though. And that Cabin fever is why the camp is dry/clean… toss some booze or drugs into the mix and bad things tend to happen. Like a bad office Christmas party on steroids. Tax:
550B283B-C890-4AF9-8F89-9F56C5A18078.jpeg

Final Powder update:

We were able to put Powder to rest, I found her today under the bridge in the stream. I will never know precisely what caused her death but I am glad to know she isn't out there hurt, lost or scared.

I hesitated to post this because I don't wish to make anyone sad. However, everyone was so supportive in trying to help me figure out what might have happened to her I thought you would want to know even if it is sad.

Thank you everyone :hugs
View attachment 3398832
She was a beautiful girl, I’m glad you were able to get some closure.

Back
Top Bottom