So, I was at my friends house, helping her feed her horses. She has 22 horses, and one is a Shire. Boon is the biggest horse I have ever seen. I have no idea how many hands he was, but I got to feed him. He thinks he is the size if a mini, and so when I was out in the pasture, dodging other horses trying to get his food, I finally got him over to a feed bin. But, he came trotting towards me. The ground was shaking under me as he came trotting straight towards me. Me being a horse lover, but also knowing to stand my ground, when he came within a couple feet if me, still trotting, I wacked him on the nose to tell him to behave. I needed to crane my head up to look at him, and in order to give him that little wack, I needed to stand on my toes... now that is coming from someone who is barely 5 feet... He is gentle as any horse ( unless it is a mare or a super green horse.) He is honestly the sweetest horse I have ever met, sorry Lenny and Pippa... I was probably the size of one of his hooves... which are bigger than the biggest cooking pan in the world 😂 before that happened though, I needed to go in with a mare.... Who was very pushy... She was being rude and was trying to eat from the bucket before I could dump it in her feed bin. I gave her a sharp wack on the nose to let her know that I am not going to let her be rude. She pinned her ears back at me and I looked her dead in the eyes. She came towards me again and was being pushy and rude... she got another wack. Then I shoved passed her and dumped her food in her bin, and gave her a nice pat on her neck, which earned me another pinning of the ears. I will take a gelding over a mare any day of the week! I stood my ground and showed Dixie (the mare) and Boon (the Shire) that they can't shove me around. Poor Boon though, as his owner died, and no one found him for months. He was malnourished, and his ribs were ( and still are, though it has gotten much better) sticking out. He is very gentle, and his owner hopped on him bareback the day they got him.

Lenny is a wonderful pony I really like him - he is such a cutie pie! and I bet he can jump!

Any colour can become grey. Greying just means that the colour will go from dark to white. The Grey gene (genetic trait) is a dominant gene. So one of the parents will always be grey. You will not get a grey from two horses that are not grey.

I have had paints and appaloosas that went grey, it is frowned upon to breed grey parents to Appaloosa and Paint horses because if they get that dominant grey gene they will turn white and you won't see the dark and white colour both breeds are famous for.

Yes Lusitano and Lippizaner are typically grey, but from time to time a bay/black or chestnut will crop up in a foal. Those colours are recessive - so if a parent is carrying that recessive gene and they are bred to another parent with that recessive gene there is a 25% chance of getting a horse that doesn't turn grey :)

I love when a bay horse goes grey, they usually keep the black mane and tail and black legs - they look really sharp :)

Rabicano is actually not a grey - it is a 'sort of' roan type colour. BUT it isn't roan, the rabicano colour runs up from the belly onto the sides of the horse. This a HUGELY popular colour with the Arabian horses in the middle east. They can actually look like a brindle dog with the colour - it's amazing when you see one.

BUT if that Rabicano horse was bred to a grey and the resulting foal gets the grey gene - that foal will go grey - boohoo!

Grey Truly, and Bay Reenie
View attachment 3422530
His owner wanted to jump him (she is much younger then me) and I guess he does not jump very well... my instructor told another girl who rides him who wanted to jump that... lol. I love him though! I'll stick with Dressage!!

Lenny is a wonderful pony I really like him - he is such a cutie pie! and I bet he can jump!

Any colour can become grey. Greying just means that the colour will go from dark to white. The Grey gene (genetic trait) is a dominant gene. So one of the parents will always be grey. You will not get a grey from two horses that are not grey.

I have had paints and appaloosas that went grey, it is frowned upon to breed grey parents to Appaloosa and Paint horses because if they get that dominant grey gene they will turn white and you won't see the dark and white colour both breeds are famous for.

Yes Lusitano and Lippizaner are typically grey, but from time to time a bay/black or chestnut will crop up in a foal. Those colours are recessive - so if a parent is carrying that recessive gene and they are bred to another parent with that recessive gene there is a 25% chance of getting a horse that doesn't turn grey :)

I love when a bay horse goes grey, they usually keep the black mane and tail and black legs - they look really sharp :)

Rabicano is actually not a grey - it is a 'sort of' roan type colour. BUT it isn't roan, the rabicano colour runs up from the belly onto the sides of the horse. This a HUGELY popular colour with the Arabian horses in the middle east. They can actually look like a brindle dog with the colour - it's amazing when you see one.

BUT if that Rabicano horse was bred to a grey and the resulting foal gets the grey gene - that foal will go grey - boohoo!

Grey Truly, and Bay Reenie
View attachment 3422530
Thank you! That makes a lot of sense! Such sweet ponies!!

So, I was at my friends house, helping her feed her horses. She has 22 horses, and one is a Shire. Boon is the biggest horse I have ever seen. I have no idea how many hands he was, but I got to feed him. He thinks he is the size if a mini, and so when I was out in the pasture, dodging other horses trying to get his food, I finally got him over to a feed bin. But, he came trotting towards me. The ground was shaking under me as he came trotting straight towards me. Me being a horse lover, but also knowing to stand my ground, when he came within a couple feet if me, still trotting, I wacked him on the nose to tell him to behave. I needed to crane my head up to look at him, and in order to give him that little wack, I needed to stand on my toes... now that is coming from someone who is barely 5 feet... He is gentle as any horse ( unless it is a mare or a super green horse.) He is honestly the sweetest horse I have ever met, sorry Lenny and Pippa... I was probably the size of one of his hooves... which are bigger than the biggest cooking pan in the world 😂 before that happened though, I needed to go in with a mare.... Who was very pushy... She was being rude and was trying to eat from the bucket before I could dump it in her feed bin. I gave her a sharp wack on the nose to let her know that I am not going to let her be rude. She pinned her ears back at me and I looked her dead in the eyes. She came towards me again and was being pushy and rude... she got another wack. Then I shoved passed her and dumped her food in her bin, and gave her a nice pat on her neck, which earned me another pinning of the ears. I will take a gelding over a mare any day of the week! I stood my ground and showed Dixie (the mare) and Boon (the Shire) that they can't shove me around. Poor Boon though, as his owner died, and no one found him for months. He was malnourished, and his ribs were ( and still are, though it has gotten much better) sticking out. He is very gentle, and his owner hopped on him bareback the day they got him.
You be careful! Even if they are quiet they can knock you over very easily (been there done that ha!). It is very sad that poor Boon had to suffer, but it is wonderful that he is now at your instructor's place.

Maybe you can ride him some day, riding a big horse like that is nothing like riding a small pony or Arabian even. Their walk is so different. When I ride Reenie it is so different from riding Truly or the ponies - she is 16hh and her walk is long and slow :)

Chicken conga line
38077BD9-D366-4ACD-AFC5-FDA7496E34B4.jpeg

All the pretty girls walk like this
566F23D4-47B5-44D0-8C62-CADAB44BED8C.jpeg

You be careful! Even if they are quiet they can knock you over very easily (been there done that ha!). It is very sad that poor Boon had to suffer, but it is wonderful that he is now at your instructor's place.

Maybe you can ride him some day, riding a big horse like that is nothing like riding a small pony or Arabian even. Their walk is so different. When I ride Reenie it is so different from riding Truly or the ponies - she is 16hh and her walk is long and slow :)
I may ride him eventually... Sorry for the misunderstanding, I did not explain it very well... I was at a friends house who has horses... not my instructors place 🤣 If Boon was at my instructors place, I would probably ditch Lenny in an instant 🤣 Next time I go over to her place, I will try to get pictures of the horses. Edit: by me possibly riding him, I mean like, begging his owner to let me hop on 😂

Love Love Love - it could also be called a liver chestnut if he was a bit darker. And of course those DAPPLES! I love dapples. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Is this colour not more common with his breed than say an Arab? I see many liver chestnuts with some Arabian strains.... but not really that common.
The silver gene is very very common in Rocky Mountain horses and Kentucky Mountain horses. I think, not sure is can also be found in Morgans and I think in Minature Horses. If Dirt did not have the roan gene playing with his color, he would look like this.
2f20613fbd5a2a4eea6077dc5c880663.jpg

Back
Top Bottom