The silver gene is very very common in Rocky Mountain horses and Kentucky Mountain horses. I think, not sure is can also be found in Morgans and I think in Minature Horses. If Dirt did not have the roan gene playing with his color, he would look like this.
View attachment 3422563
Ooh! I love that flaxen mane!! He is stunning as he his though, so he doesn't need to look like that horse!

I have inadvertently created a monster.

View attachment 3422509View attachment 3422510
As soon as I sit down she jumps onto my arm and burrows into my jacket because she believes I have sunflower seeds in my shirt pocket.
Awll, I love it when they jump up to say hello.
Here is one for you, Silver Chocolate Roan, looks grey but not grey.
View attachment 3422521View attachment 3422522I do love this boys dapples.View attachment 3422523
Beautiful horse ❤️

Ooh! I love that flaxen mane!! He is stunning as he his though, so he doesn't need to look like that horse!
No offense to any of my boys, Buckskin is my personal favorite color. A very close 2nd, is grey, a nice dapple grey. The drawback in my opinion on greys, eventually they turn white. I do not like a white horse. Dirt is not grey, and will never turn white so I get to have that pretty dapple grey look all his life. Win, Win in my opinion. Another thing, Silver chocolate may be all the rage, I'm sort of Meh about it. Depending on the build, it looks good on some, others not so much in my opinion.

The silver gene is very very common in Rocky Mountain horses and Kentucky Mountain horses. I think, not sure is can also be found in Morgans and I think in Minature Horses. If Dirt did not have the roan gene playing with his color, he would look like this.
View attachment 3422563
Oh yes that is what we would call a liver chestnut ❤️ and I love when they are dappled like your boy - it is a colour people love in Arabians.

That is one lovely horse :)

No offense to any of my boys, Buckskin is my personal favorite color. A very close 2nd, is grey, a nice dapple grey. The drawback in my opinion on greys, eventually they turn white. I do not like a white horse. Dirt is not grey, and will never turn white so I get to have that pretty dapple grey look all his life. Win, Win in my opinion. Another thing, Silver chocolate may be all the rage, I'm sort of Meh about it. Depending on the build, it looks good on some, others not so much in my opinion.
Yep some like that colour others not - I love it - and ya while I like a nice grey they are always filthy! Hard to keep them sparkly white.....

I have talked to my parents about it. As I am pretty sure I have said before, I AM going to start a chicken rescue as a side job when I am older. I don't care what it takes, this has made up my mind. Thank you everyone for the kind words :) I am going to planning how to break these chickens out of jail! 😅🤣

I talked to a bunch of people on the way home. Some people said they don't care because the chickens were biting their bracelets (at least they didn't get bitten on the finger like me by a hen!) And others said that they felt bad for the birds. I talked to my advisor, and she agreed with me. She said that it was pure animal abuse, simply because the hens only get a square foot for themselves, and they need to be vaccinated. Then no one cares about them or for them anymore. I was glad some people agreed with me. Someone I am close to was there, and she said it was COMPLETE animal abuse. She has over 200 chickens, so she was furious about it.

You can't rescue every chicken, but you can advocate for system changes too, which can help many more chickens. As you say these are deeply-ingrained issues and huge businesses. Huge because the market is massive. Change may be slow unless you get the right mix of people and circumstances to make legal changes to how businesses are run. Greater change can come but people have to become aware. I didn't know about a lot of this until recently myself. How about raising awareness of these among your friends and neighbors? Maybe you can get involved with them and help your local farms implement changes?

Certified Humane program https://certifiedhumane.org/ which is a step in the right direction

Same with the Vital Farms program https://vitalfarms.com/?gclid=CjwKC...KwWRbfCovua10H9_rO8t2iMQPKt1KljxoCOUMQAvD_BwE which appears even better but is pretty ambitious in it's whole-farmland approach

This is interesting, hens that lay only pullets. The cynic in me knows that these chickens / the way they achieved this will be patented and incredibly expensive for others to do. I don't know how far along anyone is in actually running a hatchery anywhere in the world with these. But it is an example of potential and hopefully positive change on the industrial side. https://www.calcalistech.com/ctechnews/article/bkc3iyioj

The Buckeyes intermittent news: someone, not Popcorn (because I know her cute little round eggs) is laying massive eggs, 72 grams. I suspect Butters, or maybe Peanut. It would be great if it is Hazel because she laid a shell-less egg about ten days ago, after acting fairly uncomfortable and unhappy. Only the membrane. I've upped the calcium yogurt bread bits mix and made sure she gets some. However I just got Nutrena Hearty Hen 18% protein for them which is a layer feed. Hope that will help. I haven't researched calcium in their water yet.
PXL_20230304_221832599.jpg

PXL_20230304_221820006.jpg

There was another earlier this week or late last week, exactly the same, 72 grams, light-colored like this latest one. Here it is in the middle of the carton.
PXL_20230304_221954443.jpg

I stopped marking them with the permanent marker last week, because I'm also giving them back the shells crushed to eat. What's a food-grade marker or crayon I could use?

Back
Top Bottom