I am so thankful you reminded me about the phone’s software.
These are actually two different pictures but taken only seconds apart.
I played with the settings on the first one and it is MUCH, much, much closer to what she looked like in real life when I snapped the picture.

It feels like cheating somehow but she really does look that brilliant. Pretty girl!

View attachment 3439611View attachment 3439612
And you managed to get some of the purple colouring also 🥰

I find that to be the hardest to catch on photos.

I did not. The wire divider is still there. Just in case.

See
View attachment 3439617
my cozy panel stopped working, how old is yours? Mine is only a couple yrs old.

First impression is fisher prints. Size reference for stride needed though. Watch out for this one (if it is a fisher).
yes could be a Fisher, but as there are 2 walking side by side I am inclined to say coon, Fishers generally are loners from what I have seen.

That's scary 😨
They are very smart and strong, I am sure they could tear chicken wire free, thankfully I rarely them during the daylight. Another reason I am happy I made the hen house inside the barn!

Pouring rain now. The big coop is full of my chooks. Jaffar and Hen-Rietta are outside. Dakota is on a perch in my bedroom and Coco is on my chest. The rest are in the chickens room.
Hang on kids, it’s gonna be a stormy night tonight!
How are you @featherhead007 ?

Alex I hope you are safe and sound, hope your power stays on. Some of the video I am seeing the news is scary. Be safe.

I had a paragraph on filters but deleted it. Every phone is different - I had a phone that I could set some filters pre-shot, but I think my current phone only does post-shot stuff. Still, you’re limited by what kind of light you gather in the first place. Our eyes do not see things the same way a phone camera does!
@bgmathteach you are right about the light spectrum and it doesn’t make sense to me why the Buckeye browns look so great under green light coming through the leaves. However I will guess it’s not so much related to the actual light frequencies and where they are in the frequency spectrum, but to how phones and computers reproduce the pictures, via the RGB pixels, where Red, Green and Blue are distinct and each dedicated to that color. When all are on it is white. All off it’s black I think. I believe they may be equally weighted in numbers and distribution across the screen, and when the data comes in from the camera lens the software tells the pixels to each turn on or stay off. Guessing here now - so in my example the green light from the leaves is strong and the focus area is brown-red, there’s not much sky light reflected in there, so the blue is told to stay low.
That all makes sense, but I think the actual light may play a role - see @RebeccaBoyd's post about it being better to catch the green sheen on a cloudy day.
I read a little bit about it and yes, the cameras have some built in algorithms that tamp down certain frequencies and predict what color something should be (the algorithm doesn't have the 'should be' part right for Eli!). The post shot fiddling you can do reverses some of those algorithms. This is different from filters which are 'I want everything to look green' sort of things - just like they were in old fashioned cameras when the filters were colored bits of acetate that fitted in front of the lens.
So I feel a bit less like it is cheating to play with the camera post shot until she looks like she should look!

Good morning my favorite Grumpy chicken. You my dear are the reason why I plead nightly with the marshmallows for one of them to at least have a floppy comb. I get dirty looks in response as their combs are barely starting. At least they already have the grumpy faces down pat if they ever do decide to grow their combs.
I predict they shall all have floppy combs set at very rakish trendy angles 😁

She can't get oil onto her beard. Beards tend to get ratty in wet weather because of that as well.
That makes sense! Didn’t really think of that but now I think of it the silkies esp Fluffy don’t keep their beards well gues now I know why! Thanks Bob, learn something everyday 💕

Photos of my favorite Muscovy boy, Salteen! He does not belong to me, but to my friend. (I see him often, he scares everyone away but I know he is a sweet boy)View attachment 3439831View attachment 3439833
Ducks are such characters, messy, but hilarious!

Copied from the Australian Omlet site (not inflicting the adds on everyone)

Link for anyone wanting to read more
https://www.omlet.com.au/breeds/chickens/poland

Colours of the Poland are very varied. The best known being the white crested black with its black body and white crest. The other two similarly patterned colours are white crested blue and white-crested cuckoo. These three colours do not have a beard and have wattles; all the other colours have a beard with no wattles. They have white earlobes. The crest of the female should be very round with the males being spikier. The eyes are red in all colours and beaks and legs are dark blue in all except the white crested cuckoo, which has a paler beak and legs. The chamois, gold and silver are all laced.

Those are breed standards for showing birds. Variations may be due to "sub" standards resulting in the uniqueness of our beloved feathered friends. Can also be new varieties being developed but not yet recognized in show standards
Thanks for searching on this, very informative I appreciate this!

Lovely photos. I have a flock full of black chickens that shine so I know your pain on capturing their brilliance. I have the best luck capturing the greens and blues in their feathers on cloudy overcast days. Yes they shine in the sunlight, but I have difficulty capturing in on photo. Clouds and shadows are my friends when it comes to taking pictures.
Photographer friend (professional artist) says cloudy days are best all-around for taking pictures. Better for details not getting washed out by bright sunlight.

yes could be a Fisher, but as there are 2 walking side by side I am inclined to say coon, Fishers generally are loners from what I have seen.
Where is the second set? In another area? In the photo you posted that’s one fisher, if the size is right.
That all makes sense, but I think the actual light may play a role - see @RebeccaBoyd's post about it being better to catch the green sheen on a cloudy day.
Same thing - less blue light available to wash out your real camera film, or to influence the algorithms.

Back
Top Bottom