Velociraptor with feathers....
chris pratt velociraptor GIF
Hello Blue you are looking well today 🥰 would you like a nice mouse?

Went the chicks start roosting, you may want/need to expand roost space. I've found the adults don't let the babes roost close once mama has turned them loose.. until the babes start laying. Then it's OK for them to snuggle in with the younger crew.:idunno
I encourage them to roost in the nest boxes, I don’t mind them sleeping there , I clean out poops every morning. When Henny had her brood they all piled into the one box at night until the girls started laying eggs, the boys were also crowing, then they roosted up with the big girls.

Actually I prefer if the silkies roosted in the nest boxes, fluffy and Marty are, and tonight whiskers is back in a nest box.

My overall preference is for them to roost in the nest boxes for warmth in the winter. I will be putting some roosts in Truly’s old stall for the summer, everyone can roost in there at night, it large enough that I can use the big fans without creating a hurricane hahaha!

I encourage them to roost in the nest boxes, I don’t mind them sleeping there , I clean out poops every morning. When Henny had her brood they all piled into the one box at night until the girls started laying eggs, the boys were also crowing, then they roosted up with the big girls.

Actually I prefer if the silkies roosted in the nest boxes, fluffy and Marty are, and tonight whiskers is back in a nest box.

My overall preference is for them to roost in the nest boxes for warmth in the winter. I will be putting some roosts in Truly’s old stall for the summer, everyone can roost in there at night, it large enough that I can use the big fans without creating a hurricane hahaha!
It took all my strength to lift the 50 lb bag of feed for the chooks. I’m tired from doing that. Tomorrow my doctor will know all about my symptoms. Good news is I’m at BP 132 / 78 as of 10 minutes ago

You need to go to the hospital. I know that you are worried about Jaffar, but you will do him no good if you have a stroke. You need better medications.
I’m fragile too obviously. BP is 183 over 102 but I haven’t taken the meds yet.
I’m thinking about calling the hospital

I’ve had seventeen in total so far, so ten deaths in seven years of keeping chickens (all hatchery stock). The others were mostly egg yolk peritonits, with two fatty liver hemorrhages and a couple unknown causes of death, one of which was a two-week-old chick. The other was also probably cancer. Or maybe organ failure. So four or five cancer cases out of seventeen birds. Only two were actually confirmed by necropsy.

I’ve read repeatedly on BYC that a lot of hens get cancer. I didn’t want to believe it, but now I have no choice. 💔
:eek: So, 7 out of 10 deaths were reproductive related (cancer or peritonitis) - I have read multiple places that the constant laying, and hence constant hormone, causes (or significantly contributes to) the reproductive cancers. 70% deaths due to horrible breeding practices for high volume laying!!! That is just terrible!:hit

The new digs…

And it looks like they are not overly thrilled.

Sophia tried to fly up onto the sliding track of the screen door. Fluffy decided that a nest box was the safest spot!

Give them a chance to get used to it. A few might still not be happy because they like being up high...but again, they will get used to it!

Back
Top Bottom