I have suspicion they either caught it from the person that is the bloodline “carrier” of my Japanese bantams. She has given me Dixie, the eggs for Jolene, Gabby, Duck, and Peep, and the four eggs that hatched the chicks now.

Or, they caught it from a silkie that was in a split position with her legs in complete paralysis. I’m quite confident she might have had it but that was a while ago.

Jolene, Gabby, and one of the babies are acting off. Possibly two of the chicks.
I was just going to ask about Jolene. I hope she makes it! :hugs ❤️

So after your shock and dismay, realize at least the information allows you to adjust your plans, and be as ready as you can be for what happens next. But don't blame yourself for bringing it in - yes, it's there in your soil and surroundings now, maybe from that person's flock, but also it maybe always was there in your soil, or it came to you through the air, or vehicles that come to your house.

We can faintly smell a neighbor's 300 or so meat chickens (the fields of poop) when they are maturing each summer and near ready for market, because though their farm is more than a half mile away as the bird flies, the wind often blows this way. They are "down the "hollow" sort to speak, and west of us. Like @bgmathteach I gathered it's really hard to avoid a contamination from something that travels on dander. EDIT to add - so their egg flock's dander is no doubt coming up this way too!

Along those lines, re the article @bgmathteach speaks of - do we all wear hairnets or surgical head coverings when with our chickens? I don't. I gave up changing my clothes too, though often I wash anything after I have been handling a hen. I do wear different shoes I change into when going into their coop. But I don't dip them in Lysol when I come in, and I keep them inside the door on a mat, after one winter of getting into freezing boots kept in the barn. There are poops on the driveway I scoop up after the hens have been out and about, but remnants are inevitably left. We get UPS and FedEx and mail deliveries, where have those cars and trucks been? Other people's houses with chickens running around no doubt!

It was a nice day yesterday (though very windy) and we took the chickens down to the front yard but had to close them again because they kept digging up the mulch. Didn't get photos of them at the front yard but I'll make funny captions with the photos.

You want to go to the front yard, Tony? Okay, but don't go down to the sidewalk. They're for humans, not chickens.
IMG_1988.jpg

You four didn't listen to me. Now don't go crying, Grandma! I gave you a few more minutes but you kept crying oh, so quietly and when I let you go, your sneaky little a-- goes running to the corner of the house! You are hiding from me! Dinner, then bed! That goes for the other 3 as well! Don't give me that I-wanna-peck-you look, Parm!
IMG_1990.jpg

Now what did I say about going on the sidewalk?
IMG_1991.jpg

They gave no pain meds. Come to think of it they never give pain meds to the chickens. We usually dissolve a baby aspirin in water and squirter it down her throat slowly.
I am sure she will be appreciative of being a house chook. What pain meds have they given you for her? Just so I have an idea on what Vets are prescribing for various injuries.

Back
Top Bottom