Terrifying News

I have a respiratory outbreak.

So far 3 of my 7 are showing symptoms. Lady Featherington is the worst with a mucous-style rattle in her throat. Her lungs are clear at the moment. Aurora has a raspy voice, and Sydney is sneezing. In fact all three are sneezing. The three of them spend most of the day together and roost together along with Glynda. So far Glynda is showing no symptoms.

Hattie, Betty and Phyllis are not showing symptoms.

I first noticed symptoms on Thursday. If this is bird flu then they will likely be showing serious symptoms today. So far they are acting like normal chickens.

So what have I done. Because Hattie, Phyllis and Betty don't sleep with the core 4, I have decided to separate them. It's probably too late but I want to at least give them a chance. I have the space and ability to do it so why not.

Glynda remains with the 3 sick hens. There is no way she has not been exposed and I am not going to risk her being a carrier and exposing the other 3 if they have not already been exposed.

On the chance that this is bacterial, say mycoplasma, I am treating the symptomatic chickens with enrofloxacin (Baytril).

I have decided to not test for viral pathogens because if it is viral, there is nothing I can do anyway. Once I have started treating with antibiotics I need to complete the course anyway.

Today will be day 3. If it is bird flu there should be significant symptoms. If not, it does not mean they do not have bird flu but their odds improve. There is very little knowledge on what happens to chickens if you do not cull immediately upon symptoms.

I have not taken anyone to the vet because she would immediately test for bird flu. If it is bird flu they would cull them all on me even if they have no symptoms. Also there is little she can do besides test and treat with antibiotics like I am.

Needless to say I am very worried. It is strange to wish a bacterial infection upon your chickens but that would be the absolutely best outcome at this point.

I am sharing this so you know what is happening and why I might be distracted or unavailable. I am very fearful that I am about to lose them all.

Please know that I believe I am plotting the best course possible for my ladies. It may all be for naught but I am doing all I can do with the resources at hand and knowledge I have.

Obviously I will update as I can but if I am not on BYC much you know why.
I pray it is a infection that can be treated for your girls. From my understanding of bird flu, it hits hard and fast. I was reading from onset of symptoms to a dead bird was 2 or 3 days, most often 2. I agree with not calling a vet right now. I'll be honest last year when it was bad and I was hearing of the state coming in and culling entire flocks and neighboring flocks I was plotting. I was thinking of places I could move my flock to and hide them out. I also had in my mind before anyone was allowed to touch my birds, they first had to catch momma hen. Without the use of nets. If they could catch that hen then I was thinking I would not put up a fight.

Terrifying News

So far 3 of my 7 are showing symptoms. Lady Featherington is the worst with a mucous-style rattle in her throat. Her lungs are clear at the moment. Aurora has a raspy voice, and Sydney is sneezing. In fact all three are sneezing. The three of them spend most of the day together and roost together along with Glynda. So far Glynda is showing no symptoms.

I first noticed symptoms on Thursday. If this is bird flu then they will likely be showing serious symptoms today. So far they are acting like normal chickens.

So what have I done. Because Hattie, Phyllis and Betty don't sleep with the core 4, I have decided to separate them. It's probably too late but I want to at least give them a chance. I have the space and ability to do it so why not.

Glynda remains with the 3 sick hens. There is no way she has not been exposed and I am not going to risk her being a carrier and exposing the other 3 if they have not already been exposed.

On the chance that this is bacterial, say mycoplasma, I am treating the symptomatic chickens with enrofloxacin (Baytril).

I have decided to not test for viral pathogens because if it is viral, there is nothing I can do anyway. Once I have started treating with antibiotics I need to complete the course anyway.

Today will be day 3. If it is bird flu there should be significant symptoms. If not, it does not mean they do not have bird flu but their odds improve. There is very little knowledge on what happens to chickens if you do not cull immediately upon symptoms.

I have not taken anyone to the vet because she would immediately test for bird flu. If it is bird flu they would cull them all on me even if they have no symptoms. Also there is little she can do besides test and treat with antibiotics like I am.

Needless to say I am very worried. It is strange to wish a bacterial infection upon your chickens but that would be the absolutely best outcome at this point.

I am sharing this so you know what is happening and why I might be distracted or unavailable. I am very fearful that I am about to lose them all.

Please know that I believe I am plotting the best course possible for my ladies. It may all be for naught but I am doing all I can do with the resources at hand and knowledge I have.

Praying for the best possible outcome. We have overcome respiratory illness with some of our chickens in the past. I like that you have isolated. That is a key.

Terrifying News

Oh Bob Im so sorry to hear this and hope the antibiotics help. Love to you and your flock.

Got an egg from our girl with the broken leg yesterday. What a surprise! I think we need to give her a name. Yall know my naming skills so a little help please. 😊
Do you have a Goldie? She is a beautiful golden color, she is very sweet, and she 'laid the golden egg'!

Sorry, I'm so stuck on that name for her, that I've got nothing else:idunno

12 happy and healthy chicks now in the brooder. I did end up loosing the weak one yesterday evening. It seemed to be getting stronger. I actually thought yesterday afternoon it had turned a corner and was going to make it. Sadly this is one of the downfalls of incubating your own, you will have some no matter how hard you try you will loose. It hurts each time. I still have 6 eggs left, going to check them this afternoon, no pips and no movement from the eggs so I'm worried. Overlook the brooder mess and their water dish. To teach them to drink I sprinkled some of their chick feed into it. It worked right away after I put some in. I swear chicks are born with the "only drink wild water" motto. Now that everyone is eating and drinking good I'm removing the paper towels and putting in my favorite bedding, sawdust. They can make a mess out of it, but, it smells so clean and no stinky brooder.
DSCN0518.JPG
DSCN0521.JPG
DSCN0522.JPG
DSCN0523.JPG
DSCN0524.JPG
DSCN0525.JPG
DSCN0526.JPG
DSCN0528.JPG
DSCN0529.JPG

12 happy and healthy chicks now in the brooder. I did end up loosing the weak one yesterday evening. It seemed to be getting stronger. I actually thought yesterday afternoon it had turned a corner and was going to make it. Sadly this is one of the downfalls of incubating your own, you will have some no matter how hard you try you will loose. It hurts each time. I still have 6 eggs left, going to check them this afternoon, no pips and no movement from the eggs so I'm worried. Overlook the brooder mess and their water dish. To teach them to drink I sprinkled some of their chick feed into it. It worked right away after I put some in. I swear chicks are born with the "only drink wild water" motto. Now that everyone is eating and drinking good I'm removing the paper towels and putting in my favorite bedding, sawdust. They can make a mess out of it, but, it smells so clean and no stinky brooder.
View attachment 3451380View attachment 3451382View attachment 3451384View attachment 3451385View attachment 3451389View attachment 3451390View attachment 3451391View attachment 3451392View attachment 3451393
OMG they are so cute

Got an egg from our girl with the broken leg yesterday. What a surprise! I think we need to give her a name. Yall know my naming skills so a little help please. 😊
Some variant of Long John Silver.

Long Lady Silver...... something like that

Back
Top Bottom