Alright, I have a Leghorn problem. My only remaining brown Leghorn Hen-Rietta has been over achieving her egg laying pattern. Two eggs yesterday and two more today. ( I’m monitoring her laying carefully too. Today she laid early then another, five minutes ago. I’m sure I don’t have another white layer in the tribe either! (This production cannot be good for her) I would rather she not lay at all, just be able to live a long life with me. :idunno

Its a beautiful 78 degrees. My hubby collected about 50 eggs of course I found 3 more buried under the nest boxes. Fed the chook greens and corn and they are all healthy and happy. The boys are cocoricoing. :weeI sat out there for awhile and talked to them, forgot my camera. I feel pretty good today but it looks like my gallbladder is probably bad and I have to have it removed. :(

Its a beautiful 78 degrees. My hubby collected about 50 eggs of course I found 3 more buried under the nest boxes. Fed the chook greens and corn and they are all healthy and happy. The boys are cocoricoing. :weeI sat out there for awhile and talked to them, forgot my camera. I feel pretty good today but it looks like my gallbladder is probably bad and I have to have it removed. :(
:celebrate:wee:ya

Morning Update
All seems good this morning. There does not seem to be any spread to even Glynda at this point. Everyone is behaving very chicken like. No lethargy. Baytril dose delivered this morning without incident.

I cleaned up the Cluckle Hut for the girls that have to share it now.

View attachment 3451414
happy to hear!

Now you sound like an old lady.

Old lady tax. My old lady. Hattie was thrilled to find one of her favorites, fresh dandelions. There was actually a happy sound she made when she found them.

View attachment 3451742
Yes my ladies were making happy sounds today - rain last night brought worms out - the ground is thawing woo hoo! And My gals were happily chatting amongst themselves while picking up and eating worms - mmmmmm yummy!

The Grackles have returned so I had to bring everyone back inside just in case…. They were also flirting in the trees above the chickens just like they were teasing them, Mr P was getting all upset. So everyone came in.

image.jpg

Alright, I have a Leghorn problem. My only remaining brown Leghorn Hen-Rietta has been over achieving her egg laying pattern. Two eggs yesterday and two more today. ( I’m monitoring her laying carefully too. Today she laid early then another, five minutes ago. I’m sure I don’t have another white layer in the tribe either! (This production cannot be good for her) I would rather she not lay at all, just be able to live a long life with me. :idunno
How old is she?

That's the deck above the woodpile, so access isn't a major climb. Him snoozing between the arbor studs on the other hand....
Oh yes I can see you wouldn’t want him to get stuck in there 😳😳

Caturday Saturday

Missy let’s go outside
3E2DECBF-7568-478A-B231-A4B9E0E82ABF.jpeg

D787420D-3582-4C89-B539-674EC979106F.jpeg

Missy like wild water also it seems
0DD43635-4085-4DC7-BB9C-2B80FD2DC8D7.jpeg

Terrifying News

I have a respiratory outbreak.

So far 3 of my 7 are showing symptoms. Lady Featherington is the worst with a mucous-style rattle in her throat. Her lungs are clear at the moment. Aurora has a raspy voice, and Sydney is sneezing. In fact all three are sneezing. The three of them spend most of the day together and roost together along with Glynda. So far Glynda is showing no symptoms.

Hattie, Betty and Phyllis are not showing symptoms.

I first noticed symptoms on Thursday. If this is bird flu then they will likely be showing serious symptoms today. So far they are acting like normal chickens.

So what have I done. Because Hattie, Phyllis and Betty don't sleep with the core 4, I have decided to separate them. It's probably too late but I want to at least give them a chance. I have the space and ability to do it so why not.

Glynda remains with the 3 sick hens. There is no way she has not been exposed and I am not going to risk her being a carrier and exposing the other 3 if they have not already been exposed.

On the chance that this is bacterial, say mycoplasma, I am treating the symptomatic chickens with enrofloxacin (Baytril).

I have decided to not test for viral pathogens because if it is viral, there is nothing I can do anyway. Once I have started treating with antibiotics I need to complete the course anyway.

Today will be day 3. If it is bird flu there should be significant symptoms. If not, it does not mean they do not have bird flu but their odds improve. There is very little knowledge on what happens to chickens if you do not cull immediately upon symptoms.

I have not taken anyone to the vet because she would immediately test for bird flu. If it is bird flu they would cull them all on me even if they have no symptoms. Also there is little she can do besides test and treat with antibiotics like I am.

Needless to say I am very worried. It is strange to wish a bacterial infection upon your chickens but that would be the absolutely best outcome at this point.

I am sharing this so you know what is happening and why I might be distracted or unavailable. I am very fearful that I am about to lose them all.

Please know that I believe I am plotting the best course possible for my ladies. It may all be for naught but I am doing all I can do with the resources at hand and knowledge I have.

Obviously I will update as I can but if I am not on BYC much you know why.
eek! Why not post in the emergencies forum?

Now you sound like an old lady.

Old lady tax. My old lady. Hattie was thrilled to find one of her favorites, fresh dandelions. There was actually a happy sound she made when she found them.

View attachment 3451742
Hello beautiful Hattie 🥰

Tax owing 🥰

Dorothy and egg mom Penelope enjoying the sun

B021CC44-023A-4185-A781-9007A4B0E9A5.jpeg

656BC23F-75F4-4BF0-AD41-000FCFB1E3B1.jpeg

Trying to get Dorothy’s shimmering feathers
EBF8D1CF-DA98-45FD-9C4A-17CE9439B5C2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom