Alright, I have a Leghorn problem. My only remaining brown Leghorn Hen-Rietta has been over achieving her egg laying pattern. Two eggs yesterday and two more today. ( I’m monitoring her laying carefully too. Today she laid early then another, five minutes ago. I’m sure I don’t have another white layer in the tribe either! (This production cannot be good for her) I would rather she not lay at all, just be able to live a long life with me. :idunno
There are two ways to stop or slow down egg laying. The first is to get an implant and stop her from ovulating. The second is to shorten the daylight hours. You could bring her inside to a dark closet every day and shorten her daylight exposure to something closer to late fall. That will slow down her egg laying cycle.

Outside of that I'm not certain want to do other than pray. Two eggs a day is too much but sadly this is a common leghorn problem.

Its a beautiful 78 degrees. My hubby collected about 50 eggs of course I found 3 more buried under the nest boxes. Fed the chook greens and corn and they are all healthy and happy. The boys are cocoricoing. :weeI sat out there for awhile and talked to them, forgot my camera. I feel pretty good today but it looks like my gallbladder is probably bad and I have to have it removed. :(
Bad gallbladder is an explanation with a solution. That has to be better than what you have been living with. :hugs :hugs

Caturday
Purrcules.JPG
That's Purrcules, Purr for short.

I'm glad I waited to respond. I am treating with antibiotics because I can't afford not to. It's not for prophylaxis which is treating to stop something from happening. This is treatment because it could be bacterial and I need treat so they don't get sicker. I can't afford to not treat and see what happens.

It is a subtle difference. The poultry industry used to give healthy chickens antibiotics prophylactically. That was so they would not get sick due to the horrid living conditions. This has led to antimicrobial resistance.

My chickens are sick and I am treating the sickness.
I agreement with this strategy.

There are two ways to stop or slow down egg laying. The first is to get an implant and stop her from ovulating. The second is to shorten the daylight hours. You could bring her inside to a dark closet every day and shorten her daylight exposure to something closer to late fall. That will slow down her egg laying cycle.

Outside of that I'm not certain want to do other than pray. Two eggs a day is too much but sadly this is a common leghorn problem.
I didn’t think that two eggs a day was even possible :idunno

eek! Why not post in the emergencies forum?
Because I know what I can and can't do. I would just receive a lot of advice and would spend hours correcting and thanking.

I am a microbiologist by trade. I trust myself to know how best to handle the situation. I have consulted with others whom I know have guided their flocks through a similar situation and have contacts at nationally known universities with whom I can consult if necessary.

I truly believe I am doing all that can be done. Posting in the emergency forum would just create noise and distractions for me.

Older than the time I have been on BYC
So more than 6 yrs old then. Penelope is 7 yrs old - she just laid this egg today, she hasn't laid one since I have been home and I have no idea if she laid anything while I was away.

I wonder if your hen is laying multiple eggs due to her age?

Back
Top Bottom