Mugs Monday

Good morning all! Haha while you’re all in slumber land I am hard at work giving you all your first mugs to wake up to.

First up are Curly and Fluffy still nesting together at night
View attachment 3470625

Next are the new kids on the block, one feisty pullet pulls her very first mug
View attachment 3470632

Martina has her first closeup - look at that topknot! It’s going to be white I am sure
View attachment 3470631

Some of the ladies sunbathing today
Rose
View attachment 3470629View attachment 3470630

Dorothy - she knows how to relax!
View attachment 3470626View attachment 3470627

Sophia (congratulations for n becoming a mama old lady)
View attachment 3470628

Mr P looking all cute
View attachment 3470624
The babies are so stinking cute 🥰 Those pics of Dorthy and Rose are marvelous!
Hi everyone. Can I just share that the chickens had a GREAT weekend? They are so active now that it really feels like spring. They had about half of yesterday and almost all of today to range. They ran around (vs sitting) ALL DAY. My heart is warm. Here are a few highlights.

The biggest chicken, Buttercup, trying to squeeze into a tiny nest box with the second biggest chicken, Bridge.
View attachment 3470618

Exploring the mowed weeds out front.
View attachment 3470620

Exploring the area behind the run, under the walnut tree (the stuff in the background of the second photo is my neighbor’s property)
View attachment 3470621

View attachment 3470622

Exploring the hill on the other side of the house.
View attachment 3470633
View attachment 3470634

Little Mill’s first egg of the season.
View attachment 3470635

And Bridge visiting my daughter while she tried to nap. 🤣
View attachment 3470641
View attachment 3470642
Lovely photos and wonderful to hear an update! Bridge looks to me to be keeping guard while your daughter rests.

Hello FBA! Chiming in for a few mugs from today. I think I've caught up with most of what I missed. Thank you so much @knoturavggrl for the synopsis.

Lovely to finally see newfoundland chick's photos, and Rosie back to having fun on Russ. How about you @RebeccaBoyd, do you think your back will allow you to ride ?

Léa
View attachment 3471313
Piou-piou has been locked in this crate for 18 days now 😔
View attachment 3471314
I thought Brune was dying just a few days ago, but she proved me wrong for now.
View attachment 3471315
Gastounet, french lover🥰
View attachment 3471316
And a quick update on Piou-piou: her wound is finally showing signs of healing and we let her out to free range a bit today for the first time.
Just as @GregnLety , her rooster is too big for her, so we are trying to think of solutions.
View attachment 3471318
Beautiful pictures you shared, thank you. The place you call home is stunning as are your chickens ❤️

We had a super smart chicken named Ginger. She was alpha hen. In August 2022 she decided to lead all the chickens to bully Inky, so I gave Ginger to my friend.

Here is a past post about her rehome:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-26079332

Today my friend told me that Ginger is dying :-( :-( 🙁 😢 It sounds like sour crop. I feel like my Ginger would still be healthily living with us, constantly trying to fly over fence if she had been here with us. 🙁 I know my friend is not as attentive to her chickens. She does not notice the first sign of illness. I am so sorry Ginger.

Parmesan's foot is all better now. However, because of high wind today, the door opened and the chickens accidentally went outside! Naughty chickens! Don't they know that just because the window is opened doesn't mean they should escape?! You are going to mess up the grass we grew, Parmesan!
View attachment 3471862
I know where your hiding spot is Grandma. You must love to hide behind the AC vent.
I'm glad her foot is better!

Ok, so I didn’t take mugshots this weekend, but I did get full body shots of each hen.
The babies are so stinking cute 🥰 Those pics of Dorthy and Rose are marvelous!

Lovely photos and wonderful to hear an update! Bridge looks to me to be keeping guard while your daughter rests.
Could be!

OK, so I did not get good mug shots, but I caught a couple of two different chickens with me tonight after work. So you get my silly mug too.

Bridge
9B610E56-8864-44B0-B61E-57057218DDA4.jpeg

Flo (right after she wiped her dirty beak on my wrist and demanded to be picked up).
FF0484C7-F347-4685-B7ED-69A893DBEB63.jpeg

I was of a mind set that I was done
Yes, I realized that. I think I would have felt the same in your circumstances.
It seems I have gone through loss after loss over these last few years. Yes there are good feelings but just think about it. In the years you have been on the thread, How many chickens have I lost?
Losing Legertha and Sylvie, and then Gucci so soon after, if the sickness took everyone now it would have been so hard to just bear witness to! :hugs If it happened to me I don't know that I would be done permanently but certainly would have taken a long break. I was thinking just that and should have included it. I was posing questions that I've thought myself, and wondered how you've held on.
For me it's just been too much in sequence in a compact period of time. Imagine me losing them all not 6 months past Gucci's passing. Why would I try again? I'm impressed by @RoyalChick continuing on after what happened to hers. Still having 2 left would help. If I even had 1 I would feel obligated to carry on as I would owe it to that hen. But if they were all gone, I could not see myself staring over.

I'm not really certain I would recommend that someone do this to have pets. While I think they are wonderful, fascinating animals, it is a hard path to walk with potential tragedy lurking around every turn.

Cats are much easier.
Exactly, the compactness of it. :hugs Are exotic birds as fascinating, and easier, I wonder? We took a long break after losing our cat Calvin, who used all of his nine lives, and then his sister Millie a few years later. But I was thinking the same thing today while brushing our current cat Big Boy, a discarded cat we cared for but didn't plan on keeping (I will always try to have cats in my life if I can). Cats usually aren't at so much risk of loss, even as they were in the past, what with all the vaccinations and care available these days.

Big Boy in 2016 about a year after he first came to us
0624151035b.jpg

Lil' Queenie, a young pullet just brought here in December 2020. I was asking you all about the spot on her beak. RIP Queenie.
Lil' Queenie_20201219_084947098.jpg

She’s had a haircut since that image 😂 I took it over a week ago
Hopefully that will give her some courage to start exploring. It’s always hard being the new one, any chance of getting another to be with her?

When I got Marty she was bottom of the pile, picked on. Then I got the Roo and she latched onto him, and had a friend, they quickly bonded and now are inseparable!

Back
Top Bottom