I am sorry I find this so funny. I am used now after years with my horses and chickens intermingling. You want to talk about panic, watch a momma hen bring her fresh off the nest chicks into a horses stall. You learn quickly to give up herding them out and just walk away.
I keep the stall doors locked if I have chicks running inside with the horses. Esp with Truly!

There are some upsetting pictures of BBQ...
I'll tell you if you don't want to see.
Her once fluffy bum is covered in dry droppings- I tried getting it off in her bath tonight but it wouldn't.
Her whole crop and stomach is bare. And her wing joint.
And her bumblefoot-foot compared to her normal foot...
View attachment 3520455View attachment 3520456View attachment 3520457View attachment 3520458View attachment 3520460View attachment 3520461View attachment 3520462View attachment 3520463View attachment 3520464
Poor BBQ! Maybe she’s plucking her feathers, to go broody? Her bumblefoot is probably treatable, with daily soaking to loosen the scab and equally importantly a special pressure - relieving foot cover you can make. Search BYC for @Shadrach ’ s tips, and here on FBA too, I think @Kris made one too. That’s what I would do. Surgery is a last resort with this approach, and seems pretty successful.

I think it’s not good to lay them on their back, it makes breathing difficult. Keep it very short if you must, in my opinion.

Here’s what I do to look at their feet soles: I sit them on my lap, because I’m right-handed, facing left. Say I want to first look at their left foot. I make sure that their right foot is well-planted on my leg, then gently grasp the left leg near the foot, and let them get used to how that feels, then gently pull it back while gently but firmly holding them by the wing/back on your lap with your other hand. This is like the ballet stretching move they already do.

Usually the hen will pull her leg back in once or twice, and I don’t fight against that very much, it’s her getting used to their other foot being their “ready” foot and shifting their weight there. But soon they’ll let me extend the leg I want and let it stay out for me. If I stroke the bottom of her foot with my thumb it sometimes helps relax it too. In this handy position the foot bottom is facing up already and easy to examine. I looked at Hazels feet recently, top and bottom, because the day before I accidentally stepped on something, a toe I presume, while she was underfoot. Luckily it was on litter, nothing really firm.

Edit @notabitail theres a lot of info on this special foot cover elsewhere on BYC too. The idea is to leave the spot where the bumble is without pressure.

Last edited:
Poor BBQ! Maybe she’s plucking her feathers, to go broody? Her bumblefoot is probably treatable, with daily soaking to loosen the scab and equally importantly a special pressure - relieving foot cover you can make. Search BYC for @Shadrach ’ s tips, and here on FBA too, I think @Kris made one too. That’s what I would do. Surgery is a last resort with this approach, and seems pretty successful.

I think it’s not good to lay them on their back, it makes breathing difficult. Keep it very short if you must, in my opinion.

Here’s what I do to look at their feet soles: I sit them on my lap, because I’m right-handed, facing left. Say I want to first look at their left foot. I make sure that their right foot is well-planted on my leg, then gently grasp the left leg near the foot, and let them get used to how that feels, then gently pull it back while gently but firmly holding them by the wing/back on your lap with your other hand. This is like the ballet stretching move they already do.

Usually the hen will pull her leg back in once or twice, and I don’t fight against that very much, it’s her getting used to their other foot being their “ready” foot and shifting their weight there. But soon they’ll let me extend the leg I want and let it stay out for me. If I stroke the bottom of her foot with my thumb it sometimes helps relax it too. In this handy position the foot bottom is facing up already and easy to examine. I looked at Hazels feet recently, top and bottom, because the day before I accidentally stepped on something, a toe I presume, while she was underfoot. Luckily it was on litter, nothing really firm.

Edit @notabitail theres a lot of info on this special foot cover elsewhere on BYC too. The idea is to leave the spot where the bumble is without pressure.
Do RIR's normally go broody? I thought about that but she has had those bald spots for ages.
I do know that it is bad for them to have them on their back. I will use your tip next time. ☺
I do think that I need to do surgery when I get back in a few weeks, because this is her 4th time having it, and it's by far the worst.

Back
Top Bottom