It is official, I do not have a problem or have lost my mind. Mom and Grandma have the problem. 4 days now into breaking up Corona, I think I could be close and have her broke up in another day or so. Mom and Grandma just picked through my eggs. Unless I can talk them out of it they are setting her tonight :th. Mom has no problem with a hen setting, as long as they are not eggs from those "little" things running around. Yes she is referring to Chiquita and Goose. You know, for someone who does not like those little things, she is keeping tabs on Chiquita. She has decided she can handle 4 large eggs from my girls next time she goes broody.
Quick......boil all the eggs lol

Hattie in all her Glory?!!
(Here she looks like a Cochin, but I finally uploaded it-- My computer wouldn't let me before.)
Miss Hattie
View attachment 3523221
I know very terrible, I am sorry if I disgraced her Bob.
I had to alter some of the dimensions to draw her better.
Oh I am most impressed :love

How lovely and very kind to make such a lovely rendering. Do you do this often? HRH Queen Aurora might be interested in herself having a rendering done.

I am afraid all you will get from me is chicken scratches!

It is official, I do not have a problem or have lost my mind. Mom and Grandma have the problem. 4 days now into breaking up Corona, I think I could be close and have her broke up in another day or so. Mom and Grandma just picked through my eggs. Unless I can talk them out of it they are setting her tonight :th. Mom has no problem with a hen setting, as long as they are not eggs from those "little" things running around. Yes she is referring to Chiquita and Goose. You know, for someone who does not like those little things, she is keeping tabs on Chiquita. She has decided she can handle 4 large eggs from my girls next time she goes broody.
Babies are a blessing - we can have some sent here.

Last pic of mug id POW worthy. Beautiful
Thanks, I wanted a close up of her Pea Comb. Then she pecked me because I didn’t have treats. This is why we don’t feed the bears!

So adorable! :love
Hi Lozzy ❤️

Seems we have another artist here, young @LhickenChicken did a really nice picture of Hattie.
(I can't draw a straight line it seems ha!)

I am glad you posted both pictures. I was afraid they weren't getting an even tan, but nope, they know to turn over so they don't end up two-toned! :lau :lau

:love:love:love:love Nothing like watching a chicken sunbathe or dust bathe! (once you get over your first time shock of: OMG is my chicken dying? (or having a seizure, in the case of dust bathing!) Such a 'chillaxing' (thanks for my new word, @Ponypoor) thing to see. You can't help but feel more peaceful if you watch them for a few minutes.
The first time my silkies chicks threw themselves down in the hot sun I freaked out - called my (know it all) niece who told me 'Aunt Kelly, they are sun bathing, you should do some research your know'. And thus here I am on BYC ❤️
I searched on Amazon, and found out cheaper direct from the source. I have purchased from 2 different places. This one was less expensive than this site - and I have been happy with the shade tarps from both places. Pay attention to the listed percent shade for each one. They run anywhere from 40% shade to 90% shade. Most common are 70% & 80%. You can look other places, too - they do make white shade tarps, also - but I have found the sites they are on to be very expensive. However, the second site I posted has light tan tarps. I somehow think that a light shade tarp would be more effective as it would also reflect as opposed to absorb light, as well as blocking it from going through, but I only have black, so can't do a 'side-by-side' comparison.

I would think that if you put some eye bolts into the outside of the barn at about 12-15' up ( use a tall step ladder - whatever you can reach comfortably from that), then use carabiner's to attach the top of the tarp to the eye bolts...and angle the tarp out and away from the barn (so, essentially forming a right triangle with the tarp as the hypotenuse). That should help significantly! Just be sure to measure carefully so that the eyebolts line up with the tarp grommets.

EDIT to add: If you can plant some sort of vine on the south side of the barn, that would help significantly. If you don't want it growing directly on the barn, create a trellis about a foot or so out from the barn.

I realize when I made the suggestion of the hypotenuse tarp I don't know if that is the barn door side or not....but you could still possibly do that for a portion of the length of the barn, even if it is. ANYthing you do will help some - the more you are able to do, the more it will help.
Luckily, I only need to go up 8' on the block walls - I was looking at the north side of the barn an wondered if I could run a shade from the barn to my fence so the horses could hang out under it. Not sure how strong the shade would be with a heavy rain or wind...

IMG_20230531_121937.jpg

It is 16' from barn to fence, and the height to the eves is ~8', not sure if that is over spanned for a sun shade...

Thanks, I wanted a close up of her Pea Comb. Then she pecked me because I didn’t have treats. This is why we don’t feed the bears!

Hi Lozzy ❤️

Seems we have another artist here, young @LhickenChicken did a really nice picture of Hattie.
(I can't draw a straight line it seems ha!)

The first time my silkies chicks threw themselves down in the hot sun I freaked out - called my (know it all) niece who told me 'Aunt Kelly, they are sun bathing, you should do some research your know'. And thus here I am on BYC ❤️

Luckily, I only need to go up 8' on the block walls - I was looking at the north side of the barn an wondered if I could run a shade from the barn to my fence so the horses could hang out under it. Not sure how strong the shade would be with a heavy rain or wind...

View attachment 3524279

It is 16' from barn to fence, and the height to the eves is ~8', not sure if that is over spanned for a sun shade...
I don’t know Kelly, maybe a couple of these might work:
IMG_3173.png

Oh I am most impressed :love

How lovely and very kind to make such a lovely rendering. Do you do this often? HRH Queen Aurora might be interested in herself having a rendering done.

I am afraid all you will get from me is chicken scratches!
Not really, only when I get inspired. Otherwise it is just not right.
Bob might get a realllly good pic of Aurora and I could maybe do it. I'm not good at pea combs or rose combs, I'm better at single combs.

Back
Top Bottom