Babies are a blessing - we can have some sent here.
How close are you to Eastern Kentucky? I have 15 out of 16 I need to get good photo's of and list. They are currently 5 1/2 and 4 1/2 weeks old. The oldest group in the last 2 days have been fully abandoned during the day by their mothers. The youngest group will probably have that done in the next week or so so it is time to place them. This weekend Raven is due to hatch and she still has 10 eggs under her after breaking 2.

Hmmm, if I get my chicken an apron like that, do you think they will clean my house? 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 :idunno:idunno

It sure would make life a bit easier if each one of them did just a little bit towards the daily chores! (You know, the 'many hands make light the work - but in this case, 'many wings')

How close are you to Eastern Kentucky? I have 15 out of 16 I need to get good photo's of and list. They are currently 5 1/2 and 4 1/2 weeks old. The oldest group in the last 2 days have been fully abandoned during the day by their mothers. The youngest group will probably have that done in the next week or so so it is time to place them. This weekend Raven is due to hatch and she still has 10 eggs under her after breaking 2.
Awwww - its so sad when the mamas leave their babies - or in my case the babies ditch their mamas hahaha.

IMG_20230531_121937.jpg

It is 16' from barn to fence, and the height to the eves is ~8', not sure if that is over spanned for a sun shade...
I have one of mine run a span of 10' wide (20' long) and it works well. That said, 16' is a long run and it most likely will sag some in the middle. Could you run a couple of 16' (or maybe 18') 2X4s from the barn to the fence? Depending on the length, certainly one on each end of the tarp....but maybe one in the middle, too? (I am hesitant about one in the middle, as a breeze will cause it to rub and possibly wear). You could probably start with one shade tarp 10;X16', with a 2x4 at each end, and see how it works for you. If you like it, put up one additional 2x4 and run a second tarp. That would end up giving you a 20X16 shaded space, be more manageable for you, and help limit the sag. Mine do just fine with strong winds and heavy rains so far - they are porous enough. Just don't let leaves build up on it and then get a heavy rain storm. Mine is under a pine and near some maples - I just take a BLUNT stick or shovel and push up/shake the tarp from underneath and most of the detritus shakes/falls off.
I don’t know Kelly, maybe a couple of these might work:
IMG_3173.png
While this would give them protection from the rain and sun, It will also catch the wind something fierce and try to take off on you!

I searched on Amazon, and found out cheaper direct from the source. I have purchased from 2 different places. This one was less expensive than this site - and I have been happy with the shade tarps from both places. Pay attention to the listed percent shade for each one. They run anywhere from 40% shade to 90% shade. Most common are 70% & 80%. You can look other places, too - they do make white shade tarps, also - but I have found the sites they are on to be very expensive. However, the second site I posted has light tan tarps. I somehow think that a light shade tarp would be more effective as it would also reflect as opposed to absorb light, as well as blocking it from going through, but I only have black, so can't do a 'side-by-side' comparison.

I would think that if you put some eye bolts into the outside of the barn at about 12-15' up ( use a tall step ladder - whatever you can reach comfortably from that), then use carabiner's to attach the top of the tarp to the eye bolts...and angle the tarp out and away from the barn (so, essentially forming a right triangle with the tarp as the hypotenuse). That should help significantly! Just be sure to measure carefully so that the eyebolts line up with the tarp grommets.

EDIT to add: If you can plant some sort of vine on the south side of the barn, that would help significantly. If you don't want it growing directly on the barn, create a trellis about a foot or so out from the barn.

I realize when I made the suggestion of the hypotenuse tarp I don't know if that is the barn door side or not....but you could still possibly do that for a portion of the length of the barn, even if it is. ANYthing you do will help some - the more you are able to do, the more it will help.
Hmmm wonder about the exchange and shipping on that - will need to check that in more depth. I think that 2, 16' x 24' would be perfect; the measurements are (barn wall x allyway x fence = 'd') 8x16x5= just over 16' for 'd'.

Some rachet straps on the barn side - leave the gap there (so that stupid horses don't get stuck under the gab near a fence), and attach flush to the fence itself. Also let rain run off the roof so no weight on the tarp.

That would give afternoon/evening shade for the block wall, and daytime for the horses. Hmmmm this has me thinking.

I’m putting a stop to this once and for all!
My chooks can do whatever they want to do. They have the whole yard to dig up, play in and hunt for bugs. I don’t stop them from doing anything. So why are they considered “Barred” Rocks . No barring going on at my property. I’m even letting the neighbors chooks over for lunch every day. I’m no longer calling them Barred Rocks (let them be known as transitionally color challenged) not Barred, nor Fake!
Rant over, where’s my Coco?

There she is! View attachment 3524105
How about CADPAT (Camouflage and Disruptive PATtern).

A colour pattern just for non-barred rocks :)

While this would give them protection from the rain and sun, It will also catch the wind something fierce and try to take off on you!
And if you would like to see the aftermath of it catching the wind I would be happy to share pictures of my poor mangled shelter. I keep thinking I should be able to do something useful with what is left, but concrete ideas have evaded me so far.

I have one of mine run a span of 10' wide (20' long) and it works well. That said, 16' is a long run and it most likely will sag some in the middle. Could you run a couple of 16' (or maybe 18') 2X4s from the barn to the fence? Depending on the length, certainly one on each end of the tarp....but maybe one in the middle, too? (I am hesitant about one in the middle, as a breeze will cause it to rub and possibly wear). You could probably start with one shade tarp 10;X16', with a 2x4 at each end, and see how it works for you. If you like it, put up one additional 2x4 and run a second tarp. That would end up giving you a 20X16 shaded space, be more manageable for you, and help limit the sag. Mine do just fine with strong winds and heavy rains so far - they are porous enough. Just don't let leaves build up on it and then get a heavy rain storm. Mine is under a pine and near some maples - I just take a BLUNT stick or shovel and push up/shake the tarp from underneath and most of the detritus shakes/falls off.

Then buy three. And tie each one to each horse and then wherever they go, they are covered!

Back
Top Bottom