Morning Visitor

Everyone had a blast running around this morning, and we even had an eggciting visitor!

Even the 3 week old kiddies got in on the action.

I finally dragged everyone away from the wee visitor and left her to sunbathe in peace
Girls are saying “ That’s the biggest worm we ever saw. How are we gonna eat that?”

2 white leghorns and 2 black copper marans? Glad Lea gets to be a momma again. 🥰 The babies are adorable. Are you hoping this will bring more acceptance from the rest of the adults?
It's a first for Léa, she's only a year old! She was part of my first hatch by Chipie last year 🙂.

Yes, I'm hoping to change the dynamics. My two ex-batts Nougat and Blanche are the most intolerant, and although Blanche is hanging on, she should be gone soon. Gaston isn't especially aggressive, but he wants hens. Théo is extremely aggressive, but he only cares for "his" hens, he's not interested at all in getting new girlfriends.
For now Léa is doing pretty good defending her chicks and apart from Blanche none of the hens have attacked them.
And the black chickens are cross, BCM with Harco (dual production hybrids) and probably something else since they have dark skin.

This morning my cousin came to pick up sprout. They also chose one of Goose's chicks that appears to be a pullet. They had their grandson with them. I swore Mazzie was staying, off limits. Their grandson walks right up to Mazzie who was loose in the yard and picks her right up. My cousin told him that she was not available to pick another one. Well, many tears later, and promises to keep the tiger chicken if it was either a boy or a girl I broke over. I could not tell a 5 year old no knowing that Mazzie would be going to a wonderful home. They already have several hens and one tiny rooster, 2 guineas, a goose and 2 goats. I was also promised I could come visit anytime I wanted. I have to think this is for the best, I could not keep Mazzie if it was in fact a boy. Jury will still be at least another several weeks out on that unless a early crow happened. Yes I am sad, but also a tiny bit happy. Mazzie rode home on his lap while the 2 sisters were in a shoe box. I know one thing, give it 2 days and Mazzie will be one of the most spoiled chickens out there.

Hey all! I'm alive! Shoot, you may have all forgotten me as long as I've been away. I just don't seem to have the stamina or time to keep up with you folks, though I do try to read the weekly synopsis. All is well in the coop...except for the darn mice! I've killed 12 in a week and they just keep coming. We cover the food at night. The neighbors have a DOZEN (literally) cats that roam...and still they come. The ladies are still giving us 18 - 20 eggs a week. They are looking a bit ragged. Especially Sheba, who has bare spots above both wings.
20230601_093819.jpg

And Eenie.
20230601_093927.jpg

Meanie looks fine and Manny is as handsome as ever.
20230601_093957.jpg

Is Manny just being too randy? I guess it could be mites. I made a lovely sand and wood ash dust bath area for them, which they ignored totally. But why would only 2 have issues?

Anyway, I will try to keep up better. With work and house and now summer...which means (my happy place) it's BOAT TIME I'm just finding it hard to get on line. But it's good to "see" everyone!

Well that is fascinating. I knew you would know the answer - thanks for explaining. You are exactly right both of them have black feathers that are dull. Not even shiny black let alone green!
Yes, they are just over six weeks old. And yes, I am glad he knew what he was about.
Checked Tippy and Rico - they do not shimmer :)

They Shimmy, but now Shimmer.... :lau

Whiskers was growling at me looking at nest boxes, I wonder if she is thinking of going broody. If sorry girl NO. MORE. BABIES!
On another note - I posted the school chicks on Kijiji - I am not keeping any of them. I am already stretched if I keep Rico whom I didn't plan on keeping (bad enablers...).

So I will keep Tippy, Rico, Martina, and Penne if a pullet. That is WAY more than I wanted. That will bring me up to 17, then add in a Silkie Roo to the mix and that is way way way too many. Seriously, not kidding. But I do understand that Penelope is old at 7 - though she could live another 5 years she looks great!

OK well hope everyone is having a great day - still hot here, all the chooks are either in the barn of dug into holes in the ground.

Hey all! I'm alive! Shoot, you may have all forgotten me as long as I've been away. I just don't seem to have the stamina or time to keep up with you folks, though I do try to read the weekly synopsis. All is well in the coop...except for the darn mice! I've killed 12 in a week and they just keep coming. We cover the food at night. The neighbors have a DOZEN (literally) cats that roam...and still they come. The ladies are still giving us 18 - 20 eggs a week. They are looking a bit ragged. Especially Sheba, who has bare spots above both wings.
View attachment 3525616
And Eenie.
View attachment 3525617
Meanie looks fine and Manny is as handsome as ever.View attachment 3525618
Is Manny just being too randy? I guess it could be mites. I made a lovely sand and wood ash dust bath area for them, which they ignored totally. But why would only 2 have issues?

Anyway, I will try to keep up better. With work and house and now summer...which means (my happy place) it's BOAT TIME I'm just finding it hard to get on line. But it's good to "see" everyone!
Lovely to see you and your pretty chickens.

Back
Top Bottom