It has got really, really hot.
I played the hose over the most shaded area to get the soil nice and damp and am about to provide ice.
Eli is keeping her brood deep in the shady undergrowth. I can barely see them - but I did catch a shot of Piglet’s fluffy butt to wish you all a happy Friday!

View attachment 3526750View attachment 3526752
Smart momma hen, teaching her adoptees 'the way of the chicken'. Nice chicken jungle there for them!

I am really SO happy she adopted them. Great for the chicks, and good for her - she wanted babies, now she has them! 🥰 🥰 🥰

Fluffy butt
20230602_124053.jpg
Of course one of the littles.

The row of zip ties above it hold the hardware cloth curve. Fastened that in the middle so it could rock back and forth. At the moment, it's propped openView attachment 3526785I may take it off all together. Kinda epends upon them

Edit: for size, I traced the outside of a talenti gelato lid, then cut out the shape.
Well any excuse to get a pot of Talenti Gelato!

They're going everywhere already. Eyeing the outside but not wanting to breach the threshold yet.
20230602_123953.jpg

Mostly displaying butts.
20230602_124005.jpg

Feet are all about the same size (factoring in difference in body sizes)
20230602_124141.jpg

Almost certain both buffs are pullets. The dark cheeky chippy is a maybe roo.
20230602_124358.jpg
Zulu is in front.

20230602_124330.jpg
Too early to use the tail growth for a tell. Some differences, but could simply be from hatching Monday vs Tuesday.

It was big enough for 2-4 week olds to fit through (I hope) yet small enough for Lark and Indigo to NOT fit through. I've got some 4" pvc joints I thought about trying, but they're REALLY heavy compared to the tote weight.
The little orange door in the Chicken Palace that is the baby-sized entrance to the built in brooder is I think 4" square.
My nearly 7 week olds can still fit - but it will soon be a squeeze for Tassels and Calypso who are growing up to be big chickens!

Morning all, been having some issues with loading comments on this site with all my devices. I can access other sites fine so not sure what’s with BYC.

Except early morning and late at night it’s difficult loading and reading comments.

Everyone is doing great, but I couldn’t find Sophia last night and was sure she was toast. I was upset as I was feeling frustrated trying to herd everyone and count everyone. I had thought I counted them all before I headed up to supper.

Then with everyone not heading to bed as usual when I check the barn cams… well I worried I had missed her outside and she was toast. And the others were not going to bed because they could hear a kerfuffle and were freaked out.

So I ran everywhere looking for her, and I was thinking I would have to tell my cousin her hen was gone 😢

So with a heavy heart I went to close everyone up, and noted a movement above my head in the Hen House, SOPHIA!

What a brat she was up on top of the fan I put in the hen house! I could have cried she was ok - I could have also wrung her neck ha!

I hauled her down and triple counted everyone, closed up the Hen House and headed to bed.

Phew! Who knew chickens were so stressful.

The fan she was roosting on
View attachment 3526493
But of course, you made a higher roosting ledge. She will be there again! :pop

Like I said, still early enough it can go either way, should know for sure in a week or two. I'm also interested in hearing other's opinions on this one now. Keep on snuggling my Martina though, that is a pullet I am sure of it.
Martina just crowed.....

hahahaha just kidding - the Fates will get back at me for that one I am sure....

Back
Top Bottom