Thing's body build and natural stance (and to a degree the sussex, Nox and Mera) is so similar to rooster stances (and I don't have any familiarly with roos of the breeds) that I'm questioning my eye for it.View attachment 3526883

Had some introductions today.

View attachment 3526890Big, bold cheeky buff made Whiskey move.

View attachment 3526889Storm is a bit nervous around them too.

View attachment 3526888Cuckoo stopped in, looked, turned and left.

View attachment 3526887They clearly have no fear of Silver (popped out while she was right there).

View attachment 3526886Jessica isn't too fazed by them either.

View attachment 3526885The little buff and dark cheeky chippy charged Twirp....who skedaddled out the bird door.
View attachment 3526884Silver nonchalantly kept an eye on them.
Mine had no fear of Bernie and all flew at her head. She is still put out by that event!

Hey Bernie, here’s some corn to make you feel better ❤️‍🩹
(Works great for my chooks)
Even in total darkness! IMG_3185.jpeg

My perfect dream lady:
1: she’s a beautiful redhead
2: she’s caring
3: headstrong but fair in judgment
4: listens to me when I speak to her
5; doesn’t make a pig of herself at the dinner table
6: she’s self sufficient and independent
7: she is employed and produces a quality product.
Too bad she’s only a chicken. I’m needing a lady at least 5’8” tall and (hopefully with some education)! :gig
I snuck a picture for Friday! IMG_3122.jpeg

Colombian wyandottes, light brahmas, light sussex, and Delaware all are marked like that. The brahmas have feathered feet (and buff brahmas are marked like that but with gold shirts). Delaware aren't as clearly marked and, like the sussex, have straight combs.

Silver is a smart bird, and my lead hen. She has also been involved (but not broody) with raising every batch of chicks not broody raised around here. she's a big part of why I'm willing to raise this lot entirely in the coop without a broody protecting them.

She is also the primary reason I have wyandottes (of any color) on my wish list for the future.
There’s a pastor in a church in town, I’m certain he came from Columbia. I could ask him if he could help me find a Wyandotte ! 🤔

Sure do - but can't keep them all.... if only they wouldn't fight and you could geld them.
Ummm, you can, it is just called 'caponizing' them with chickens. I do wish I was able to do it. There are (or were - maybe youtube pulled them down) on that, but I feel I need a person - IN PERSON - to train me. One wrong move = a lot of damage & probably death. :(

Ummm, you can, it is just called 'caponizing' them with chickens. I do wish I was able to do it. There are (or were - maybe youtube pulled them down) on that, but I feel I need a person - IN PERSON - to train me. One wrong move = a lot of damage & probably death. :(
I asked my Vet and she said it wasn’t possible, that it was cruel to do.

I told her killing and putting in the freezer was more cruel. She told me to find a home for him.

I laughed and asked her did she want 3 roosters. She said I should find a home for them, to which I explained that I had and my next option was to process them.

We know where that went 😢

Anyways it is what it is, I have come to terms with the fact that there will be roosters in theses chicks and I will deal with them.

Back
Top Bottom