And they have "chicken tenders"! They better not be making fun of us who tend to our chickens!
FB_IMG_1650899087428.jpeg

Tomatilla is broody!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, big news- she is broody.
Tomatilla is sitting and sitting and sitting and this morning she came down, dumped a HUGE poop, went buk-buk-buk while eating (just like your video of Eli, RC) and went back to her nest. Then, Miss Stupid Dawn decided that it would be a great idea to STEP on Tomatilla.
Man, did Dawn get a beating! Tomatilla screamed, pecked at Dawn. Dawn honked and then Tomatilla screamed more and played merry-go-round or ring-around-the-rosy with Dawn, grabbing her neck and tossing her off the top of the rabbit hutch. I was watching all this.

Tomatilla is now sitting on Mary's egg, and Samantha's egg, as well as her own egg that she laid yesterday.

Thoughts... ?

Sooooo looks like Sophia is broody, she is back in the nest box and stealing eggs, I tried to take her eggs away but she gently tucked them back under her - I couldn't take them it would be heartless.

Now don't go getting thinking I am setting her on eggs - NOPE not happening don't need any more Roos. But, I just called Freys to see about getting some pullets: Blue Azures (blue eggers) and Noirans (chocolate eggers). They drive orders up to the local feed store every other week. So on the 21st they will bring up a bunch more.

So what if I got say 4 or 6 pullets? and shoved under Sophia - she would be the only hen I would give chicks to now, and only because she is getting old and she seems to be wanting to have some babies - she has been very interested in the school chicks.

View attachment 3529927
Oh maybe I can go broody, and have some lovely babies. That would be so wonderful, I wonder how one goes about being broody?

Paul is out with the chooks. Cleaning up the coop and watering the yard. I’m flat on my back, moving as little as possible
(Paul gets a generous Christmas bonus each year, trust me!)
I am glad you have someone to help you with the chooks, that is surely a relief to you at times.

Back
Top Bottom