And then there were 8…

I sold 2 of the school chicks, a Splash and the light grey — both pullets, to a lovely lady who has 4 hens already.

She also apparently stopped in to my neighbour up the road and purchased 2 polish and 2 silkies.

I really need to go see my neighbour and see what he has up there, it’s not like he is that far away - not even a kilometre away. Close enough his Roo can be heard here…

And then there were 8…

I sold 2 of the school chicks, a Splash and the light grey — both pullets, to a lovely lady who has 4 hens already.

She also apparently stopped in to my neighbour up the road and purchased 2 polish and 2 silkies.

I really need to go see my neighbour and see what he has up there, it’s not like he is that far away - not even a kilometre away. Close enough his Roo can be heard here…
Practice good bio security when you’re over at your neighbors. :confused:

And then there were 8…

Mr. P is kinda loud too isn’t he? Some mornings I think I hear his cocorico from over the mountains! :lau

Another bonus of the babies anchoring the adults around the coop: the adults go to bed a full hour before they were prior to the babies arrival.

So far, the babies seem tolerant of me coming in and tucking them under "mama": go to bed. A little mischievous running back out, but (so far) as the adults' model is "gone to bed" they're fine with it. (It's not going to last much longer: the 18 month old crashing is rapidly turning into the 3 year old giggling and streaking the house having snuck out of the bathtub.)

At this rate, "mama" may end up getting moved out of the tote and tote removed all together. The teenage "parent gonna kill the brat" phase may not come until they're too big to fit through the holes. Food won't be an issue as the All Flock the adults get is about the same protein rate as the babies crumble. Banana boxes are being held in reserve for when they don't need/won't fit in the tote.

So far, I'm REALLY liking the "mama" hen pad and raising babies in the coop from first day here. They can see and be seen. The initial escape hole requires some climbing and is on the sheltered side. Integration has been almost instantaneous. I expect the babies to start trying to head outside in the next day or 2. (I'm not ready) I'm going to let things play out (mostly) by keeping an eye on things but trying to hang back and let the adults tend them. The babies NEED to be listening to the adults. Their first forays outdoors will get those lessons quickly (and hopefully safely).

The Adventure goes on.

Back
Top Bottom