Air quality very bad through Wednesday here in southwest central New York, the Canada fire smoke is here now. Should be able to see the distant hill clear as day!
PXL_20230606_194547619.MP.jpg

PXL_20230606_194539157.MP.jpg

So I lucked out and found a feed store with chicks. Made a quick trip there as Raven was about ready to leave the nest box and any chance of her adopting more chicks was running out. She has had them for 2 hours, I'm cautious but think she is going to take them. There have been a few pecks but not aggressive. She is encouraging them under her. She did this when she adopted the single chick last year and Chiquita did the same with the Marshmallows. I will feel better though tomorrow morning. It just so happens that today is 2 for Tuesday, how convenient.
First the 4 she hatched out.
2 blondes
View attachment 3531346
2 uncooperative black chicks.
View attachment 3531348
Now for her adoptive chicks
2 Wyandottes, gold and silver laced
View attachment 3531349
2 speckled sussex, most excited about these 2.
View attachment 3531350
2 Barred Rocks...alex they are probably fake, makes them even more special.
View attachment 3531351View attachment 3531352
2 Americaunas or easter eggers. Yup, I have went to the dark side. Aurora would be proud.
View attachment 3531353
Oh they are so cute! How exciting ❤️
side note: Those speckled Sussex chicks is how I imagined my Jubilees would look as chicks.

Air quality very bad through Wednesday here in southwest central New York, the Canada fire smoke is here now. Should be able to see the distant hill clear as day!
View attachment 3531397
View attachment 3531403
Ah.. man
Sorry we're being generous. But skies are clear and blue here! we got some rain last night, or a heavy dew. Either way the ground was wet. I was really hoping for a huge thunderstorm though.

Ah.. man
Sorry we're being generous. But skies are clear and blue here! we got some rain last night, or a heavy dew. Either way the ground was wet. I was really hoping for a huge thunderstorm though.
I could use the thunderstorm here for a day. Dry deserts and @notabitail don't always mix well.

So I lucked out and found a feed store with chicks. Made a quick trip there as Raven was about ready to leave the nest box and any chance of her adopting more chicks was running out. She has had them for 2 hours, I'm cautious but think she is going to take them. There have been a few pecks but not aggressive. She is encouraging them under her. She did this when she adopted the single chick last year and Chiquita did the same with the Marshmallows. I will feel better though tomorrow morning. It just so happens that today is 2 for Tuesday, how convenient.
First the 4 she hatched out.
2 blondes
View attachment 3531346
2 uncooperative black chicks.
View attachment 3531348
Now for her adoptive chicks
2 Wyandottes, gold and silver laced
View attachment 3531349
2 speckled sussex, most excited about these 2.
View attachment 3531350
2 Barred Rocks...alex they are probably fake, makes them even more special.
View attachment 3531351View attachment 3531352
2 Americaunas or easter eggers. Yup, I have went to the dark side. Aurora would be proud.
View attachment 3531353
A gold and a silver based EE, and a gold and silver base wyandotte (some spectacular colors), a pair of "prison" birds (total sweethearts, btw), a pair of polkadotted birds (I have 2, VERY friendly), a dark silkie and a light silkie, a Marans, and a buff....she's got a rainbow crew! Looking forward to seeing them grow! :love :love :love :love :love :love

Back
Top Bottom