20230608_110704.jpg

Oh, and In Albis climbed into my computer drawer. The thing shifted slightly, and she jumped behind it, into the space where it closes. It was easy to get her out. One mealworm and the food call was all it took. She is food driven. And Dominica shared this photo on Beakbook and tagged Sydney. Make sure Sydney got it.
In Albis decided that she could just trick me into feeding her more worms if I dared to share this photo. She is asleep so she will not notice.

View attachment 3534725
Oh, and In Albis climbed into my computer drawer. The thing shifted slightly, and she jumped behind it, into the space where it closes. It was easy to get her out. One mealworm and the food call was all it took. She is food driven. And Dominica shared this photo on Beakbook and tagged Sydney. Make sure Sydney got it.
In Albis decided that she could just trick me into feeding her more worms if I dared to share this photo. She is asleep so she will not notice.
I will share it with Sydney when I get home.

I have been outside 3 hours mowing grass. In that time I have been able to really take a good observation of the flock. I cannot begin to express the amount of guilt I feel by trying to force my flock into being a 3 rooster flock just because I wanted to keep Twig. Not one single crow to be heard. Bubba went to a spot already mowed in the yard and just pretty much fell over. He scared me the way he flopped. I come to him only to find him stretched out napping in the sun. I had the entire side yard mowed which takes the longest and had finished a break before he woke up. One point Branch and several of the hens came and joined him while the others were following behind me eating bugs. The boys let me know months ago it would not work. Instead of listening to them in my selfishness for wanting to keep a 3rd rooster I added undue stress to them and the girls.
I think you really needed this time to be certain of making the right choice and being sure things would not work out.

I can really relate, unfortunately I'm trying all kind of things to keep my two roosters, and none of them are working out for now.
I'm giving myself until Gaston turns 18 months old, also because some of the changes in the flock will take time to unfold, but if nothing I try works one of them will have to go.
Right now, I'm alternating locking up each rooster with his hens that are not well enough to protect themselves from the other roo every two hours while letting the other tribe range. I hate it, they hate it, it's just not working.

Little Théo keeps loosing the fights and keeps picking them 🙄.
IMG_20230608_112722.jpg

I think you really needed this time to be certain of making the right choice and being sure things would not work out.

I can really relate, unfortunately I'm trying all kind of things to keep my two roosters, and none of them are working out for now.
I'm giving myself until Gaston turns 18 months old, also because some of the changes in the flock will take time to unfold, but if nothing I try works one of them will have to go.
Right now, I'm alternating locking up each rooster with his hens that are not well enough to protect themselves from the other roo every two hours while letting the other tribe range. I hate it, they hate it, it's just not working.

Little Théo keeps loosing the fights and keeps picking them 🙄.
View attachment 3534859
Poor angry little man.
But oh so beautiful!

TO EVERYONE

I started this thread back in 2019 as a way to document and tell the story of my chickens. For most of its existence it has been just that. However, in the past year plus, this thread has grown into something more. It has become a safe haven for people to use the internet for good. A place where like-minded people come to talk about their chickens, to find help and support in times of trouble, to find comfort in times of tragedy, to share the joys these wonderful animals bring to our lives, and most of all to share chicken pictures.

Many of you wish to give me credit for creating this environment. I say that all of you have created this environment. I have absolutely no control over what is posted here. I cannot block people. I cannot censor people. It is up to you to police yourselves.

This has worked beautifully.

For whatever reason you all have found your way here and enjoyed the camaraderie of fellow chicken enthusiasts. It has been wonderful to see people who have 50 or more chickens hanging out with people who only have 2 hens. We have people ranging from older retired chicken keepers to teenagers just beginning their first relationships with these amazing animals. Somehow people from all around the globe have found their way here and enjoyed their time on the thread. The diversity of chicken keeping represented on this thread astounds me. I feel connected with people I will never meet and have learned so much from them along the way.

Amazingly, there are people on this thread whose first language is not even English (I am including Australian in this. There are some very non-American English words and phrases in use when they speak that force me to google things sometimes.)

Despite the fact that such variety exists in this thread, different cultures, different languages, different appreciations for chickens and how to respect and care for them, we have been able to coexist peaceably and enjoy each other’s company. This is a rare thing in the world today and we are truly blessed to have found each other.

There are ways to disagree with someone cordially, without offending them. We will never all have the same opinions. One thing is certain, calling someone a name never gets them to alter their point of view. You will never bring someone around to your way of thinking by insulting them. It only hardens their position and causes them to at best shut you out and ignore you. At worst it causes them to lash out and attempt to harm you back. This is what the internet in general has become and unfortunately what our world seems to be devolving into.

If you cannot disagree with someone respectfully here on this thread, do not say anything.

If you cannot be civil without hurting others, this is not the place for you. Please go find a thread of like-minded people here on BYC and hang out with them.

I know that I have not been present much lately. I do not know if that is the cause of the deterioration in kindness which has popped up lately. If that is so, I am going to be very concerned about the future of the thread.

To be frank, I am dismayed that the real world has found its way into our community. Sadly, I am not surprised. It gives me no joy to write this but while I cannot block comments or posters, there is one thing I can do. I will not have this thread that I started contributing to the anger and hate that rolls through the internet. I can and will simply shut it down before I allow anything I started or was involved in to be used for that purpose or become that kind of environment.

It is important for all of us to remember that we all have bad days. We can be irritated and say things we don’t really mean and which we regret. The right thing to do in those situations is to own up to what we have done and apologize to the person whom we may have hurt with our actions.

However, to be clear, I do not want public apologies. Those discussions, if they happen, should occur in private. The PM system here is the perfect place for any such exchanges to take place. My hope is that I am so late to the party that this has already occurred.

I expect that no one here is going to gang up on anyone who might have said things they may regret. We will not be choosing sides and going to war. There is enough of that out in the real world.

The business of this thread is to raise each other up to be better.

Better chicken servants and just as importantly, better people. Oh, and to have some fun. Let’s get back to it.
Well said Bob. 😊

Back
Top Bottom