The answers to those questions are nope, nope and nope. She is in a clean coop or outside foraging. She will take care of them herself. Mine wade the creek, dig in mud and other unmentionable stuff and their feathers are neat as a pin. If you have any trouble at all with them, and it very rarely happens with mine is the pin feathers. They may break a pin feather here and there if they are aggressively digging or fighting. If that happens their leg or foot will be a little sore for a day or so. That is individual to each chicken though. Holly was digging close to a sheet of tin and broke off a new pin feathers. Few drops of blood and nothing more, not a limp out of her. Bubba broke off one and the big baby limped like his foot was broke for a day. I have had marans and thus feather legged chickens for 3 years now. I can count on one hand the times they have broken off a pin feather.

Tassels is stunning by the way. Holly who has the most impressive feather feet of my Marans crew is proud of her. If it was not for the beard right now you would swear she is a full Marans pullet. Oh and comb, I zoomed in, I do not think she is going to have a straight comb, is it a variation of a pea comb?
Thank you I am sure I will need your reassurance as we go. She is lovely, big, and a bit feisty.
I think you are right it is a pea comb but it is still quite hard to see.
She is deep inside the thicket of the butterfly bush so I can’t get in there to look. I will try and get a better picture when she emerges later - though they seem to be having a fun time in there so they may stay for a while!

Run for the hills!

So what do you do when you’re a chicken and an F18 flies overhead?!

You run for a tree of course!

Mr P made sure they all hid under the pear tree, that’s right kiddo you tell that aeroplane!
4C8BB00D-9F0C-42BA-BF3E-C410F40E646F.jpeg

And a few more fluffy butts

8DF827B2-61E8-409E-BEBE-48B9CA47FBFB.jpeg
BEE218E8-957C-45EF-AFB8-D3D75446E322.jpeg
4CD501FF-F944-49EB-8C45-0FBB16A393B9.jpeg

It happens, I know it happens especially with chicks from farm stores where they have been shipped. I just lost the silver laced wyandotte. Next to the speckled sussex I was looking forward to 2 silver based chickens running around. Now in 24 hours I have lost them both. This one was fine out with Raven in the coop eating and drinking. I go to bring them back on the porch and it is gone. In the begining I was worried about the super tiny silkie cross, it is thriving. At this point I am just praying the rest make it to a week old so I can relax.
:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

I'm sorry you lost them both :( I hope the remaining 6 thrive.:fl:fl

More milestones

View attachment 3535337The nipple waterer is doable. View attachment 3535338Havoc, Tuff, and as yet unnamed clean leg

View attachment 3535339With featherfoot and Whiskey looking on.

View attachment 3535340Featherfoot is a bold one.
View attachment 35353415-10 min of perching on my arm.

View attachment 3535342They also found the sunshine and a good view of outside.

View attachment 3535343Indigo kept a closer watch for a bit.

View attachment 3535344We have a breech. Zulu (again) first to go exploring

View attachment 3535345View attachment 3535346Headed back in after only a couple of minutes.

View attachment 3535347Tuckered out.
How wonderful. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom