Hello all, I’m a longtime lurker of Fluffybutt acres, and a big fan of what Bob’s work has become! You all are such a cute, chatty community :) I haven’t read the whole thread obv, but have jumped around here and there (currently reading around the September mark) and love your stories.

I have a flock of six in Washington state (it took a LOT of math to get to this number); four mature girls currently cycling through molts, and two pullets I’m hoping will start to lay any day now. :fl

My mugs Monday is Dottie, hoping her pitiful coif gets her first dibs on dandelions.
View attachment 3678246
Here is a summertime throwback photo of my four ladies in their run, and a gaggle of adolescents up on the perch in the background (of which only two were kept).
View attachment 3678248
Welcome to the FBA community - my guess is you have already understood about tax, but if not, then read the primer in @BY Bob's signature. I just LOVE that picture of Dottie!

Two-fer Tuesday

Larry and Raven 😊
8A65702E-5CF3-4A7F-B0F9-57041994D74D.jpeg

Eli-too and Muffy
CAE3C74B-5211-4C17-87BF-DC40DF7ACE78.jpeg

And 2 squared
Sophia, Rose, Fluffy & Blanche
9748F22E-634E-4401-85B1-E802E547DE71.jpeg

So, for Mugs Monday, a troublesome duo! The darker girl had gotten injured on her hind quarter - the one with more copper has been her 'friend/companion' while she healed. The two are a hoot (and yes, she is all better now). The one with more copper is very inquisitive (as you can probably tell by the photos0, but the injured girl is much more tolerant of 'mommy' wanting to hold her - ESPECIALLY if she is hold ing a mealworm while doing so!!!

Neither is cuddly, but they do tolerate mom's attentions. Now to reintegrate them back in with the flock!

View attachment 3678115

View attachment 3678118

View attachment 3678119

Speaking of 'flock' @RoyalChick , this is my take yesterday.

View attachment 3678123
The exact same for the past 3-4 days. :idunno I think I have 2 scabs in my midst that are crossing the picker line!!!! No one else is laying but the two chickens that laid these eggs. Even the ducks have only been laying 4-5 eggs - but considering that they are molting, and all but 4 are 4 +, then i'm completely fine with that. However, you 45+ adult girls - come on! Really - only 2 eggs a day??? If each of you only laid one egg a week - that would still be roughly 6 eggs a day!

So, I am unsure of how to proceed, as the AFCU - TSG local 13 hasn't answered my counter offer, nor have they stopped tree sitting, but they HAVE stopped laying eggs (again, all but the 2 'scabs':idunno

(And, personally, the green egg layer - SHOULD stop - or at least stop laying jumbo sized eggs - she is fairly petite! I am pretty sure each of these last 3 eggs are double yolkers. She has only laid one double yolker prior to this - now, since molting - she has onnly laid 1 regular sized egg.:(
Those two are very cute - such lovely colours.

That’s a nice haul for eggs even if only a few - who lays the pink egg? 💕

Hello all, I’m a longtime lurker of Fluffybutt acres, and a big fan of what Bob’s work has become! You all are such a cute, chatty community :) I haven’t read the whole thread obv, but have jumped around here and there (currently reading around the September mark) and love your stories.

I have a flock of six in Washington state (it took a LOT of math to get to this number); four mature girls currently cycling through molts, and two pullets I’m hoping will start to lay any day now. :fl

My mugs Monday is Dottie, hoping her pitiful coif gets her first dibs on dandelions.
View attachment 3678246
Here is a summertime throwback photo of my four ladies in their run, and a gaggle of adolescents up on the perch in the background (of which only two were kept).
View attachment 3678248
Welcome!

I love spots and stripes and wattles oh and big combs 😊💕

Your ladies are gorgeous!

I do head count for total number. When I come up short and am figuring out who is missing, then I break it down into the assorted age groups. Mine don't roost in the age groups. They mix it all up once they start laying.
I keep trying that but they keep running around! I do a head count all the time due to my paranoid nature! I just know they are escaping or up to no good! Hahaha!

I noticed yesterday I felt I was getting sprayed while checking Hazel's crop (and getting some stuck-on poop off one of her feet). Today she has terribly bubbly eyes, and her nares or lungs are rattling when she breathes. This morning I didn't see it, but in taking Mugs Monday shots this afternoon I saw she has been shaking and scratching the bubbles off, then they come back. So, I've started her on the Baytril 10%, for her weight of 5lbs 5oz, .25 ml 2x/day. I hope she responds as well as Anna did. Poor girl was trembling when I wrapped her and gave her the dose. I do handle them but she and Popcorn have always been the most nervous about it. Peanut and Butters were much more mellow. Despite her fear she was more compliant than fighting it.

Hazel
Her appetite is good, good crop before bed, but she did retire early
View attachment 3678150
View attachment 3678151
The gang and any new chicks are doomed to this respiratory disease, whatever it is. I've read some people cull everyone, and that's just out of the question, beyond the pale to me.

Figuring this is a long-term issue, what do I do if/when the Baytril runs out? Go back to the vet? I also have Amoxy-Tyl powder, and that's it. The enrofloxacin is better?

Not sure what's triggered this for Hazel, the new pavers going down stressing her, or her molt, which isn't heavy and seems finishing, her feathers are looking great, or Popcorn's heavy molt and different behavior, or losing and really missing her close buddy Peanut, and then also her other companion and underling Butters?

Popcorn, her new feathers are coming in nicely (lower cozy panels are off)
View attachment 3678148
View attachment 3678149

The Spuds preening on their upper level perch (btw the cozy panel up here is off too)
Diane-Ida
View attachment 3678155

Tedi
View attachment 3678153

Anna
Still smaller, maybe always will be, having lost at least a week-10 days of growth when she was sick and not able to eat on her own. She has a good appetite but tends to hang back a little timidly, so I make sure she gets a turn when I'm feeding everyone out of my hands
View attachment 3678154

Anna and Tedi and Diane-Ida's beak
View attachment 3678156
I sure hope Hazel will be ok, I am in agreement to treat her, Bob might have some suggestions on alternative antibiotics.

Will check in later today to see how she is doing.

I also hope Hazel responds to enrofloxacin.

For the future, I think you could try to have a PCR for Mycoplasma and test for IB, as they seem the most common respiratory disease.
Mycoplasma does not respond to amoxicillin but it does to Tylosin so my guess is the amoxyl-tyl powder could be useful if they have MG.
At some point, if you want to treat, you will probably need to get in touch with the vet team again. Or, I maybe shouldn't say this, but there are many possibilities of ordering unaccessible meds online if one searches a little. I would not personally do it for antibiotics but I have done it for dewormers and miconazole from sites in other countries.
I wish I had bookmarked a really good site on these poultry respiratory infections that I came across.

I've explained everything. It's not possible for me. I have serious bone and joint problems literally from my neck into my feet.

It's getting riskier and if I landed up in a wheelchair or died because of an accident all my animals would be insecure. Yesterday I could have had a heart attack with the immense pain and stress.

Princess came to me yesterday and allowed me to cuddle her. I'm trying to work out the best way forward for her I love her very much.

I'm getting a batch if leaves for her later, she really enjoys the garden and she'll be coming inside for visits for now
In that case just enjoy your beautiful Princess and your pup and moggy, they are your lovely friends 💕

View attachment 3678295
I've kept Princess in my sight all morning. She's pecked around the garden for a few hours and my friend got hold of a bag of leaves and is now digging through them

She's had some electrolytes water earlier now she got a watered down probiotic water.

I called the hen rescue for a little guidance they recommended I try too find someone on fb which I can't bring myself to use. Maybe there's a lone old hen that needs company or I could get one here. But my one friend says she doesn't know how to use or find the local hen site and she's dead against me having more because she understands my conditions. If only I could find someone who has hens nearby

View attachment 3678296
She looks great! And I sure the leaves are a huge hit!

Back
Top Bottom