Sir Jaffar said “what’s this in my water?!”
My response was:
“That’s your rough and ready, rapid response, Rooster Booster elixir! “ 🍷 image.jpg

The Spud Tedi may have an issue with her uropygial gland. I've noticed when she preens she makes little noises, and finally I've narrowed it down to only when she rubs her beak and head back there. She does little boks. I'll have to take a close look at it, from what I can see as she preens nothing looks odd. When the vet looked at her and it a couple of months ago it was fine.

Anyone have any experience with problems with the gland? I am reading it can develop infections, or get clogged, or tumors.
Théo had an issue with his gland before this summer. It was bright red and he kept rubbing it. I didn't do anything about it because I was afraid I would do more harm than help as he frets so much. It seems to have healed by itself. If it had happened on a calmer chicken I would have tried applying lukewarm compresses daily for a minute, with a drop of almond oil.
I'm pretending my boy chooks will just live a happy bachelor life. 🫣

Eenie is definitely afraid of Manny. I've seen her squeeze under the little tables we made for the chicks to hide under to get away from him. Tres is still just a youngster. I've not even heard a crow. I guess he's about 4 months now.
I think part of the answer is space. If you have to keep them confined in their actual coop or even in the bigger shed it is less likely to work out. Many cockerels have an hormonal phase implying chasing and mating, and the hen's chances to get away or out of sight vary greatly with the environment. I know others won't agree with me , but unless you want to hatch chicks, I personally don't think keeping a rooster in a coop and run with no ranging at all is a good idea, even with a lot of hens.
Yes, it's clearly just skin missing. It just looks horrible. What can I do to facilitate it???
Depending on the chickens it can take a long time to grow back. Here is what I learned from dealing with Piou-piou when she was wounded. The hardest thing was to protect her wound. She wouldn't keep a bandage on. In Eenie’s case she won't be able to peck on it herself, but you really have to make sure the other chickens are not pecking her, and not just now but throughout all the healing process. We had a very unfortunate set back when Piou-piou’s wound was reopened again when it was almost healed. I understand Eenie is not easy to tend to, but I think you will need to pick her from the coop either at night or early morning to check her wound at least twice a week, more would be better. If anything happens to the wound you want to find out as quickly as possible.
Dustbathing can be an issue, it was for Piou-piou as she kept reopening her wound when she dustbathed. We had to keep her crated for a long time as much as she hated it because of this.
Also, I didn't realise that feathers growing back can irritate the wound and hinder healing, so you will need to trim those in a few weeks, or as soon as you see them growing over.
And last I think it was RC that told me to make sure my wounded chicken got extra-protein in support of the healing process.

In the end Piou-piou had to get stitches done by a vet as the skin that grew back didn't attach properly. After the stitches, the healing was a lot faster. In all it took her three and a half months to heal completely.
It's just my panicking because she's not so interested in her food
Princess is quite a big hen. She won't die if she eats less for a few days. She hasn't completely finished molting and she has just lost her companion, so her appetite and stools would be different from usual. I think you should pay attention to her global behaviour. Is she acting like a sick or unwell chicken ? Is there anything else that is worrying, or is it only that she is eating less than she should ?
Sometimes chickens are their best healer. If she got to five years of age, trust her to know when she will need to eat and what. A stool that indicates lack of nutrition is not just loose, it's water that has barely any solid in it and usually a strange phosphorescent green.
It's been very hard on both of you. Try to give her and you whatever will bring you some calm and a little happiness.
:hugs :hugs:hugs:hugs

Sorry for the long post. A thirsty picture of Blanche, who had a sudden paralysis access last week and an unexpected recovery, with Nieva.
IMG_20231109_110754.jpg

Théo and Piou-piou
IMG_20231028_083744.jpg

And Pied-Beau and Lilly. We re-homed Pied-Beau two days ago, and I am both sad and relieved.
IMG_20231027_095817.jpg

Another night, another possum. This now makes 3. Houston we have a problem. I have not lost a chicken to my knowledge to a possum, but I do not like them. I have had a few young chicks vanish before, not sure what to blame it on. Eggs could be drawing them in, those girls like to hide their eggs and I occasionally still find a hidden nest. Truth be told, I do not even know which hens are laying regularly with half the flock in various stages of molt. I do feel I should be getting more then a average of 7 to 8 eggs a day, and some days I am getting 11 to 12. All I know for sure is so far each one has been killed around midnight and CeeCee is getting them as they come off the hill into the creek. I do not know how she knows they are out there, but she knows. She is coming out of dead sleeps and begging at the back door to be let out.

there isn’t really much you can do with the wound other than letting it heal, it will be slow - as long as she is eating well and not picked on by the others I would just monitor it.
She's not in with the others, just Uno. So far so good there. Uno is less afraid of Eenie and more assertive, not afraid to take away a treat, etc., but pretty calm. I'm going to have to just grab her off the roost. Not easy when you have to kind of crawl in to reach her!
Is Eenie more afraid than before the wound? I suspect as others do that it got picked at by everyone else once blood was drawn.

Here’s good instructions in the link below on how to help skin grow back across a large wounded area, but I think it’s maybe too late for that if scar tissue is forming, and it appears you have escaped so far without infection forming, and that is a major plus. This procedure would require a lot of time and care on your part. I had been thinking of silver colloidal bandages to help keep it infection-free and moist, or antibiotic ointment + gauze pad and vet wrap. She would likely not have tolerated wrapping her neck very well either, but maybe.

She will have a featherless scar there, which may be okay anyway (think @featherhead007 ‘s Jaffar) as long as she doesn’t get picked at because of the bare spot.

However this article has some good tips for other supportive care:
https://shagbarkbantams.com/treating-wounds-and-injury-in-backyard-chickens/

I think part of the answer is space. If you have to keep them confined in their actual coop or even in the bigger shed it is less likely to work out. Many cockerels have an hormonal phase implying chasing and mating, and the hen's chances to get away or out of sight vary greatly with the environment. I know others won't agree with me , but unless you want to hatch chicks, I personally don't think keeping a rooster in a coop and run with no ranging at all is a good idea, even with a lot of hens.

Depending on the chickens it can take a long time to grow back. Here is what I learned from dealing with Piou-piou when she was wounded. The hardest thing was to protect her wound. She wouldn't keep a bandage on. In Eenie’s case she won't be able to peck on it herself, but you really have to make sure the other chickens are not pecking her, and not just now but throughout all the healing process. We had a very unfortunate set back when Piou-piou’s wound was reopened again when it was almost healed. I understand Eenie is not easy to tend to, but I think you will need to pick her from the coop either at night or early morning to check her wound at least twice a week, more would be better. If anything happens to the wound you want to find out as quickly as possible.
Dustbathing can be an issue, it was for Piou-piou as she kept reopening her wound when she dustbathed. We had to keep her crated for a long time as much as she hated it because of this.
Also, I didn't realise that feathers growing back can irritate the wound and hinder healing, so you will need to trim those in a few weeks, or as soon as you see them growing over.
And last I think it was RC that told me to make sure my wounded chicken got extra-protein in support of the healing process.

In the end Piou-piou had to get stitches done by a vet as the skin that grew back didn't attach properly. After the stitches, the healing was a lot faster. In all it took her three and a half months to heal completely.
Thank you both for all the details. That is helpful. Other than the back of her neck looking awful, she seems pretty happy.

Eenie had acted afraid of Manny since she was broody this summer. After the chicks were old enough to integrate, she still ran from him. I saw her stand her ground against Meanie, who's clearly head hen...but she runs and hides from Manny. I can't say it's worse now, because I took her out of the coop as quickly as I could.

I'll be keeping an eye on her. Will the Blue Kote keep them from pecking? I can pick that up today.

Still looking for a "home" for the roosters. :( Maybe I should suck it up and act like the farm girl I was, and make soup? 😢

Not sure I can really do that.

She's not in with the others, just Uno. So far so good there. Uno is less afraid of Eenie and more assertive, not afraid to take away a treat, etc., but pretty calm. I'm going to have to just grab her off the roost. Not easy when you have to kind of crawl in to reach her!

Thank you both for all the details. That is helpful. Other than the back of her neck looking awful, she seems pretty happy.

Eenie had acted afraid of Manny since she was broody this summer. After the chicks were old enough to integrate, she still ran from him. I saw her stand her ground against Meanie, who's clearly head hen...but she runs and hides from Manny. I can't say it's worse now, because I took her out of the coop as quickly as I could.

I'll be keeping an eye on her. Will the Blue Kote keep them from pecking? I can pick that up today.

Still looking for a "home" for the roosters. :( Maybe I should suck it up and act like the farm girl I was, and make soup? 😢

Not sure I can really do that.
I hope you can find homes for your boys, but it can be difficult. I too have 2 boys that need to go. I hate to say it but their time here is limited and they have been listed and advertised for a month now with no takers. They are right now about 5 months old and have just in the last few days found their voices. They also have turned their attentions to the hens and well, idiots is a nice way to put it. Me and dad have a agreement, they have until next weekend to find a home. If not, and I will take no part in it, they are going to freezer camp. My dad likes fried chicken, I do not like chicken on the bone or dark meat chicken so to me eating them is a waste. Dad has no issues and informed me if they are processed I do not even have to be outside when he does it. My brother and Rosie and Grandma also like fried chicken with the bone in. A deal is made that they will try and eat it. I want to place them and will keep trying. If no luck then I have comfort knowing their life was not wasted and they will feed my family. I cannot keep any more boys, not even going to try. Frankly right now I do not like how they are starting to treat the hens and if they get rougher I will up the freezer date.

Pavers done!
PXL_20231109_171231160.jpg
PXL_20231109_170853438.jpg

PXL_20231109_171126374.jpg

PXL_20231109_171215575.jpg

Checked Tedi' uropygial gland and saw and felt nothing that looked out of place, but what do I know?

Pressed around it and rubbed the sides some, I didn't see a drop come out but I didn't squeeze it or the base hard. I recall the vet did and they didn't like it. Pale, skin-colored and normal looking. No red or swollen parts. Will look at the others' and compare.

Hard to find, took awhile through her tight dense fluff feathers but I knew when I was getting close because she made those little boks. There are some new pin feathers growing in around there. Maybe that's her source of discomfort?

Very cute thing, it looks like an anemone with a tuft of feathers coming out of the tip.

Back
Top Bottom