In that second diagram I defy anyone to tell the difference between pea, walnut, rose and strawberry.
I officially give up. Just like breeds, it seems to me that we have classified them to death. I get single combs and I get close to the head puffy combs and of course all the v-shaped ones. I will leave my comb identifying at that level.
And all these combs of course exist on the very plentiful breed of 'pretty chickens'!
Yes I have same issues, big combs little combs, floppy an V shaped. I know fluffy silkies, frizzle and normal feathers. I know muffs, beards, and topknots. 3 toes and 4 toes.

After that anything goes 😁

Lety had to cut our grass earlier this week. Glad that it's greened up so the deer n cattle have something to munch on. Need to get a bag of rye grass today to plant for the chooks n turkeys.
The grass is still green here but the trees are all mostly nude with no leaves. I am hoping for a few dry sunny days so I can mulch some of the leaves with the lawn tractor.

Egg update

This morning I hauled Henny off the nest and found a broke egg, one of Marty’s, it was cracked length wise down the egg, so I careful removed it and checked the other eggs, there was no contamination to the other eggs. Then I did a quick check of the other 5 eggs - still looks like nothing going on in the Penelope and Marty eggs, the Fluffy and Curly eggs seem to be ‘growing’ but it’s getting hard to see anything it will be 6 days this evening. I could still see some veins and I think I could see movement with the dark spot which is the embryo I assume…?

I am really sad about the eggs, and it makes it hard to be eggcited about the fluffy and curly eggs. But once they hatch I am sure I will be thrilled. I plan on doing a gender DNA test EARLY so that I can deal with an cockerels immediately.

I wonder what colour I will get from them? Fluffy is white but has two black feathers so is that splash? And of course Curly is splash.

I am eggcited to see what colours I get from those two and Mr P.

Egg update

This morning I hauled Henny off the nest and found a broke egg, one of Marty’s, it was cracked length wise down the egg, so I careful removed it and checked the other eggs, there was no contamination to the other eggs. Then I did a quick check of the other 5 eggs - still looks like nothing going on in the Penelope and Marty eggs, the Fluffy and Curly eggs seem to be ‘growing’ but it’s getting hard to see anything it will be 6 days this evening. I could still see some veins and I think I could see movement with the dark spot which is the embryo I assume…?

I am really sad about the eggs, and it makes it hard to be eggcited about the fluffy and curly eggs. But once they hatch I am sure I will be thrilled. I plan on doing a gender DNA test EARLY so that I can deal with an cockerels immediately.

I wonder what colour I will get from them? Fluffy is white but has two black feathers so is that splash? And of course Curly is splash.

Sad for the cracked Marty egg. And that it’s looking like Marty’s aren’t fertile. It’s still a little soon, though to be sure about viability?

Egg update

Which rooster chicks did you keep? I was gone and there’s no way that I’m gonna go through a thousand pages. And is Chicory Blue’s Butters okay, or did she pass away?

Which rooster chicks did you keep? I was gone and there’s no way that I’m gonna go through a thousand pages. And is Chicory Blue’s Butters okay, or did she pass away?
You can get the history by reading one post a week - the synopsis.
Each synopsis starts with a link to the previous week's synopsis so you can work backwards week by week by clicking that link.
Here is the most recent synopsis:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-27291232

Butter passed away, she seemed okay but was losing weight on her own without me tube-feeding her, then she declined quickly, she died apparently peacefully though. She was a great friend, both she and Peanut were. So the Buckeye gang are two members now, Hazel and Popcorn. There are three new Buff Orpington pullets who are doing well and seem to be integrating well too.

Egg update

I'm sorry one cracked. Hold off on the questionable eggs until Monday evening to be safe, they might surprise you. If they are duds well you tried. Really a few chicks this time of year is good. Mr P has been molting so therefore not breeding the girls like he would be in the spring. We may not get the desired power couple chicks, but you still will have some cute polkie chicks running around from Fluffy and Curly. That is something to look forward to.

Butter passed away, she seemed okay but was losing weight on her own without me tube-feeding her, then she declined quickly, she died apparently peacefully though. She was a great friend, both she and Peanut were. So the Buckeye gang are two members now, Hazel and Popcorn. There are three new Buff Orpington pullets who are doing well and seem to be integrating well too.
:hugs:hugs

Back
Top Bottom