I will pray for girls. I'm not going to lie, I am missing one of the 2 boys I placed yesterday. I had a inkling early on they were boys and I was right. I did everything in me to stay hands off and not get attached. They did everything in their power to ensure they had to be handled daily and really were good boys even if they were hitting their idiot stage. It was because of those 2 that I still had to carry some of them to the coop each night. They insisted they needed to roost on the porch and always had at least one of the girls in between them. Packing them to the coop they would snuggle in and coo sort of. Darn it boys, stop that, I could not keep you. Then they got handsome, especially the twig son who I was wanting to keep or at least find a good home for.
This one right here, he had me very close to trying 3 boys again even knowing it would not work.
View attachment 3680353View attachment 3680354
Looks a lot like Twiggy! :love

Last edited:
Wow, that is a gorgeous rooster! Well I hope he did go to a good home. Maybe you can get updates about him once in a while.
I have been working on this placement since I knew they were boys, was just waiting on coop repairs to be completed. The boy who moved into the big house down at the barn, he took them and is moving them to his grandfathers. He wanted them when they were 5 weeks old and I almost let him have them then. I am thankful I did not then because they could have been part of the flock loss his grandfather suffered. When he asked about them again last night and said everything was rebuilt I almost cried in relief. He knows the boys behaviors just as much as I do. He has helped me put them up many times and has actually handled them more than me. He knew they had to be placed soon which spurred on the repairs. I told him if it got done they were his. I got shown some pictures yesterday that met my satisfaction so I gave them to him. Now if they want the hens, they are not free I am sorry. I do not HAVE to let go of the girls.

Butter passed away, she seemed okay but was losing weight on her own without me tube-feeding her, then she declined quickly, she died apparently peacefully though. She was a great friend, both she and Peanut were. So the Buckeye gang are two members now, Hazel and Popcorn. There are three new Buff Orpington pullets who are doing well and seem to be integrating well too.
Gosh I'm sorry. That happened while I was off the thread.
I will pray for girls. I'm not going to lie, I am missing one of the 2 boys I placed yesterday. I had a inkling early on they were boys and I was right. I did everything in me to stay hands off and not get attached. They did everything in their power to ensure they had to be handled daily and really were good boys even if they were hitting their idiot stage. It was because of those 2 that I still had to carry some of them to the coop each night. They insisted they needed to roost on the porch and always had at least one of the girls in between them. Packing them to the coop they would snuggle in and coo sort of. Darn it boys, stop that, I could not keep you. Then they got handsome, especially the twig son who I was wanting to keep or at least find a good home for.
This one right here, he had me very close to trying 3 boys again even knowing it would not work.
It's hard to not get attached. We named ours Uno, Dos and Tres for that reason. Maybe we should have used English numbers.. since Spanish was too much like names.

I likely won't pop on much the next 3 days. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

IMG_3205.jpeg I’m going up to the northern property today, and check out the airport close by. Hopefully there’s a hanger available for purchase there. I’m thinking to move from the valley into the foggy forest, northern property, and rent out my house, IMG_3585.jpeg and rent out the front house too. The tenant up front has given me notice that they will be moving.
(MY CHOOKS ARE COMING WITH ME.)
Of course Sir Jaffar must approve of the idea first!
My plan tax:

Pavers done!
View attachment 3679926View attachment 3679925
View attachment 3679927
View attachment 3679928

Checked Tedi' uropygial gland and saw and felt nothing that looked out of place, but what do I know?

Pressed around it and rubbed the sides some, I didn't see a drop come out but I didn't squeeze it or the base hard. I recall the vet did and they didn't like it. Pale, skin-colored and normal looking. No red or swollen parts. Will look at the others' and compare.

Hard to find, took awhile through her tight dense fluff feathers but I knew when I was getting close because she made those little boks. There are some new pin feathers growing in around there. Maybe that's her source of discomfort?

Very cute thing, it looks like an anemone with a tuft of feathers coming out of the tip.
The pavers look great!

Could the noises shes making rather be something pressing on her throat when she’s bent backwards accessing the uropygial gland?

Butter passed away, she seemed okay but was losing weight on her own without me tube-feeding her, then she declined quickly, she died apparently peacefully though. She was a great friend, both she and Peanut were. So the Buckeye gang are two members now, Hazel and Popcorn. There are three new Buff Orpington pullets who are doing well and seem to be integrating well too.
I’m so sorry!

Oh dear. He is stunning!

Oh yes he is gorgeous. Hopefully their new home will be a good one. Did they take the hens?

94B81716-5A34-4568-9A59-5806C9FE8086.jpeg
I’ve spent the last couple of weeks (and the next few, as well) hauling buckets of mulch to spread around my yard. Alas, it’s too steep for a wheelbarrow. When we moved in I had to declutter a ton of invasive blackberry & ivy, so there’s lots of bare dirt to cover and protect while I put plants in.

The chooks of course are perfectly happy with mulch, bare dirt, or grass. A mix of all three, please :clap
3031B458-DFA1-410A-B4AA-F0A46F959B7F.jpeg

0E0B2820-7EE8-4D0A-9169-B309DE882A21.jpeg

BC1B8CF1-86ED-454B-A458-2209B7B343D3.jpeg

550CFE71-32D6-4657-B8BE-A8A5DCE0760D.jpeg

Albert, the skinniest butt of the flock, is feeling very amenable to modeling for FBF.

Back
Top Bottom