Should I get him a friend or try and integrate him with a small bantam flock that had its established roo?
Was he alone with his brother? Maybe give him a couple hens to make his own flock. Is he identical to his brother in loooks ?

Those chooks are very beautiful đź’•

The one thing I hate about keeping chickens, is waking up excited to see your babies and finding one that didn't wake up.
One of my Japanese Bantams roosters fell asleep for the final time. He was looking off yesterday kinda sluggish like they do when they have coccidia. I treated their water. Cleaned the coop and run
I wasn't ready. His brother wasn't wither apparently because he's been doing a low one note crow all morning. He looks so sad that I honestly think he may go to from a broken heart. I have him separate for thr coccidia just in case so I don't know what to do. He is all by himself.
RIP Marty.
Me and McFly miss you already sweet boy.
Such a gorgeous bird. So sorry you lost him.
Why is he separated? I would think that might add to his sadness. It to have any friends. But maybe I don’t understand the history and context.
:hugs

Why is he separated? I would think that might add to his sadness. It to have any friends. But maybe I don’t understand the history and context.
:hugs
They were my only 2. I got them after they had been rehomes several times and so I put them together in their own area in the bantam palace. It has 4 coops and runs and they could see the others but never showed any interest. The main bantam flock has a roo. The seramas have 2 roos and the white bantam have 4 roos. The only other group I have is the silkies

Why is he separated? I would think that might add to his sadness. It to have any friends. But maybe I don’t understand the history and
I have been trying to find bantam hens for them for 6 months. No one in my area has them and my girls just stared having fertile eggs.
I have 2 silkie chick's piping but they can't join him for awhile

I have been trying to find bantam hens for them for 6 months. No one in my area has them and my girls just stared having fertile eggs.
I have 2 silkie chick's piping but they can't join him for awhile
I understand how difficult it can be finding something you want. It is next to impossible finding silkie hens/pullets local to me available. Silkie roosters or satin silkies fairly easy. Do you have a pen of general layer hens? Until you find him some bantam girls 1 or 2 big girls could keep him company.

The one thing I hate about keeping chickens, is waking up excited to see your babies and finding one that didn't wake up.
One of my Japanese Bantams roosters fell asleep for the final time. He was looking off yesterday kinda sluggish like they do when they have coccidia. I treated their water. Cleaned the coop and run
I wasn't ready. His brother wasn't wither apparently because he's been doing a low one note crow all morning. He looks so sad that I honestly think he may go to from a broken heart. I have him separate for thr coccidia just in case so I don't know what to do. He is all by himself.
RIP Marty.
Me and McFly miss you already sweet boy.
So sorry for your loss, every one is so special :hugs :hugs

I understand how difficult it can be finding something you want. It is next to impossible finding silkie hens/pullets local to me available. Silkie roosters or satin silkies fairly easy. Do you have a pen of general layer hens? Until you find him some bantam girls 1 or 2 big girls could keep him company.
I have a roo and 2 hens in the silkies and the roo is pretty docile too

Should I get him a friend or try and integrate him with a small bantam flock that had its established roo?
How many hens are in the 'small bantam flock"? And, how old is he compare to the members of the other flock? I'm inclined to say get him a couple of pullets of his own....but it really depends on your answer above - and whether the other flock has seen him (i.e. somewhat familiar if not integrated) Also - general flock dynamics.

First outing

Babies were out and about a bit, Marty came out and picked a fight with Henny - I had to break it up in case babies were hurt.

The chickie-loos were digging and scratching about, but once they started getting chilly (even under mama) I herded them back into the feedroom and popped them back in their crate. They will soon figure out hopping up into the feedroom, and everything else as @bgmathteach stated haha!

View attachment 3696239View attachment 3696238

First egg

(Well who knows she may have been laying while I was away)
First egg from the one and only Tippy McChickie - finally. I have lost count of how many weeks old she is.

And @BY Bob its anther pink one! HRH must have put out a decree to only lay pink eggs đź’•

From left to right:
Fluffy, Butterscotch and Tippy 🥰
View attachment 3696241
If you remember the day you can ask your phone how many weeks ago that was.

Back
Top Bottom