I guess David Draiman had it almost figures out. Sometimes darkness can show you the light. The cochins have taken up laying next to McFly on the fence. I let him out with me there. They introduced and he went back in his run but the door is open. I think they accepted him buy he's still sad.
When I came back in and looked at the incubator there was a little baby silkie. The mamas name is Cookie so we're gonna call this one snickerdoodle

You know, I hate to say this ('cause I CERTAINLY understand the frustration of the 'hidden nest egg hunt!") BUT.... I have also found that, generally speaking, the egg hiders are the ones who generally go broody and tend to be more predator alert (i.e. just a bit more of their wild ancestor's instincts, I think.)

SOOOOO...while I do not envy you having to hunt for eggs and hidden nests - especially with the prevalence of uncontrolled dogs in your area - who go as much by scent (or quick movement - which won't be the case with a sitting hen) as anything, I do hope Cardhu is a next builder/egg hider. I love her and want her to be smart and broody!!!!

😁 sorry @rural mouse, I just had to put that out there😁 I'll try not to mention it again!
Not until late April or early May! I'm actually ok with it myself. However, I want the winter/early spring to monitor EASILY to make sure we don't have issues cropping up (such as soft eggs or double yolks) so they can be addressed quickly. I think the "wild" nest will have fewer issues with pecking order spats/sneaky late deposits etc.

Time to get an Android.
:lau I might switch. I just had to get a new SIM card. He said it’s a common problem in the iPhones. Then he tried an eSIM and it didn’t work so he had to get me a new physical one. But yeah. It was fast ish (and free) but still annoying. Not sure it’s quite annoying enough to switch though.

I need a new hen. This one seems to be falling apart :(:hit IMG_3814.jpeg

:lau I might switch. I just had to get a new SIM card. He said it’s a common problem in the iPhones. Then he tried an eSIM and it didn’t work so he had to get me a new physical one. But yeah. It was fast ish (and free) but still annoying. Not sure it’s quite annoying enough to switch though.
I'd get a Pixel. I use a Pixel 4 and it works great, has great cameras for chicken photos, and can have its lifespan extended via LineageOS.
Just make sure you get a unlocked one. It will cost more than what your carrier charges but is well worth the money because it's actually yours.
(If you need tech help I offer it for free to people on BYC).

I'd get a Pixel. I use a Pixel 4 and it works great, has great cameras for chicken photos, and can have its lifespan extended via LineageOS.
Just make sure you get a unlocked one. It will cost more than what your carrier charges but is well worth the money because it's actually yours.
(If you need tech help I offer it for free to people on BYC).
Thanks! This is very helpful! And very nice of you. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom