They have the dark brahmas, and while they don't have the appenzeller spitzhaubens, they do have brabanters (spelling? Dunno, but they have a similar crest). They also have chanteclers and Russian orloffs (now I wish they could ship to the US).
I just looked them both up - both brabenter and russian orloff look wonderful!

I love all of those choices!
I had visions of Jaffar trying to breed a huge Brahma 😁

Oh and! Yes Mr P and Larry have been getting it on, caught them red beaked tonight. If I were tempted to try hatching eggs other than silkies this year I would try for a Larry x Mr P pullet. Oh I know I won’t get stripes but maybe I’ll get spots!

YES! They sure do, oh I just don’t know, it’s such a long drive, gas is crazy expensive, but I sure would like those Orloffs also.

‘Sigh’

I am gonna need a bigger barn.
Road trip!
Any relatives along the way - pay a visit on the way there maybe?

I know! That happens to me too! I've hatched eggs 3 times in my chicken keeping days, and most of the hatchlings were roos! Is it chicken genetics or something? I don't know! :jumpy:confused:
Couple years ago, I read an article (I think it was linked here) about a study on chick genders relating to temps. If I recall correctly, it said that eggs that got cold were more likely to hatch pullets. Of course it didn't say how "cold" cold was. My MIL and I were getting ready to load the incubator and battling getting eggs in from the coop before they froze. Out of 27 eggs in the incubator, 20 developed, 17 hatched (3 with developemental issues)and 14 lived at least long enough to determine gender (hawk got one half grown). I think we had 5 roos out of the 14....lending some credence to the cold. However, more investigation is needed on that point.

They have the dark brahmas, and while they don't have the appenzeller spitzhaubens, they do have brabanters (spelling? Dunno, but they have a similar crest). They also have chanteclers and Russian orloffs (now I wish they could ship to the US).
I can meet you at the border for lunch 😆 I am sure I can get them across noooo problem!

But yes they have a nice selection, not sure if it is straight run though for the chooks. I might revisit there again.

Road trip!
Any relatives along the way - pay a visit on the way there maybe?
Unfortunately no, and I wouldn’t want to stop, last spring when I went there, I left here at 10am and got there at 1pm, and left there at 2pm and got home after 6pm.

I got chicks from them last spring remember?

Couple years ago, I read an article (I think it was linked here) about a study on chick genders relating to temps. If I recall correctly, it said that eggs that got cold were more likely to hatch pullets. Of course it didn't say how "cold" cold was. My MIL and I were getting ready to load the incubator and battling getting eggs in from the coop before they froze. Out of 27 eggs in the incubator, 20 developed, 17 hatched (3 with developemental issues)and 14 lived at least long enough to determine gender (hawk got one half grown). I think we had 5 roos out of the 14....lending some credence to the cold. However, more investigation is needed on that point.
Temperature dependent sex ratio is recognized in reptiles.
Here is a legit scientific study that demonstrated it happens in turkeys.
It seems quite likely that cold results in more males - the paper gives temperatures used in their study.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...ex determination (TSD,eggs begins (Hardy 2002).

Back
Top Bottom