Wow. I am so sorry that happened to you.

Apollo is being aggressive towards Charlie. Diana is scared of him, all though he is twice her size, so I don’t blame her. Poor Charlie is wagging his tail, being sweet. He’s so confused.

Apollo is barking, snarling, fur up. But his tail is wagging. Everything else about him is aggressive though. We tried to introduce them on leash outside. That didn’t work because of stupid Apollo. Charlie is inside right now on our back porch. Our porch is fully connected to our house and fully walled in. I wouldn’t consider it as “outside” like most porches. To make it more clear because I suck at explaining, it’s a room in our house that has windows instead of screen. It also has a big glass door, so Apollo and Diana can see him through there, which should be helpful.
Tail wagging doesn’t mean friendly, it means excited. A snarling growling dog who is excited probably wants a fight.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE German Shepherds! I have one and he is the greatest. He's 4 years old and 78lbs, so on the smaller side. BIG bark, lots of shedding, and yes, big teeth. But he is the most loving, loyal, fun dog. He is very vocal. More so than a husky, but that could be just him. He's adorable. It is very true what they say about them attaching to the women. My picture won't upload.
Big barks are a breed standard for German Shepherds! They are a protection dog that FIRST tries to defend by frightening whoever off using a big bark, before resorting to any physical attack. By comparison, Rottweilers are more businesslike… if they need to bite someone for whatever reason, they are happy to do it without a warning bark.

Pony Sunday animal: the mighty Elephant.
B76BCBDB-6FC8-425C-ACB0-DF5F654F5395.jpeg

This tiny pachyderm was helpful at spreading oats out to distract the flock, so I could get Albert a private before bed snack.
629F4FA2-BC4F-4F69-9A9A-0149BDE133D7.jpeg

7758EBF8-88FB-43CA-87C4-E0F435FC9A03.jpeg

Look at that nice full crop! It was flat when we got up there at 6pm, but is now nice and full of blueberries and sardines.

Big barks are a breed standard for German Shepherds! They are a protection dog that FIRST tries to defend by frightening whoever off using a big bark, before resorting to any physical attack. By comparison, Rottweilers are more businesslike… if they need to bite someone for whatever reason, they are happy to do it without a warning bark.
I know about the bark thing, but he whines and moos, and yips, and growls. All. Day. Long. And at night.

I soak the seeds in a container for about 8 hours. less, they don't germinate well, more they tend to get moldy further on in the process.

I rinse twice a day for a couple of days until there is a root bud on most of the seeds, then transfer them to the trays I have. These are reused trays from items gotten at the grocery store (think clamshell plastic), I drill about 6-8 holes in the top so some ventilation. In these I rinse twice a day until ready. Then I clean all the containers with white vinegar after scrubbing them with soapy water (dish soap)

Note that we keep our house pretty cool - if the environment is too warm, you are more likely to get mold. Our house is set at 62 during the days we are home, and 58 at night and days I work away from home. Mold was why I went to growing the fodder - but I just can't grow enough to be worth it space wise - given how long they take to grow and how big my flock is. I had to move the 'operation' to the kitchen because 'my room' is most definitely even colder (?about 5 degrees, maybe more), and they just were taking forever to sprout and would eventually get mold. In the kitchen window, it seems to be working well (knock on wood here), but really, it is not, imo, enough. :idunno

I almost sent you a set of the things I use - but then you had mentioned you were going to be away, so I didn't. The 'soaking jar' I use is a large seasonings container. It works perfect - half fill with seeds, top up with WARM water and let soak overnight (again about 8, maybe sometimes 9 hours) drain through the seasoning shaker holes, rinse, and drain again...rinse and drain all the others in progress. I find it takes about 8-10 days for them to be ready to feed.
Thanks for the info. It is a puzzle. You don’t do anything different from what I was doing!
Maybe I was unlucky and I should just try again.
It wasn’t as if it never worked. It was just that about half the time it got moldy.

Back
Top Bottom