Windy and rainy today, our weather like others has been all over the place. We had a week of 60°+ followed by snow then warm and sunny again then freezing temps again. Crazy cycle.
Heading out to check on the ladies now.
From nicer days
20230629_150046_HDR~2.jpg

In Petunias case she’s a mutt so no egg production breeding there. As for pollutants, possibly, but I have an environmental research station 1.5km away that says our air and ground water are great. So I am at a huge loss as to wonder why her?

My older gals I would say yes to age being a factor.

Well I haven’t read the article yet - it looks interesting.
What I meant by the Buckeye example is that we cannot get away from the historical practices of the past. I doubt that chickens have ever been bred for longevity, even today. It’s always for features like feathers / body stance for show, and egg or meat production. So your mutt probably does have egg production breeding in her.

Air & ground water testing is only as good as what they test for and the levels they decide are great or not great. I suspect that chickens have such short lives that these things could be meaningless for them, but I don’t rule it out.

What I meant by the Buckeye example is that we cannot get away from the historical practices of the past. I doubt that chickens have ever been bred for longevity, even today. It’s always for features like feathers / body stance for show, and egg or meat production. So your mutt probably does have egg production breeding in her.

Air & ground water testing is only as good as what they test for and the levels they decide are great or not great. I suspect that chickens have such short lives that these things could be meaningless for them, but I don’t rule it out.
Yes that is true, animals with shorter life spans are not as much affected by contaminants - unless it changes their actual dna.

Also animals in the wild likely don’t live long enough to have issues generally.

Watching this video makes me wish I had a rooster! Such lovely crowing.
Yes they can be fun IF you have a good Roo, a bad Roo makes life miserable for you and the hens.

My wee cockerel Bert is going through his Jack-arse idiot jerk phase. So far he hasn’t been too bad and hopefully the hens keep him inline until he gets some brains 😊 and he has just started crowing, he is 18 weeeks old today.

AE8E0A7D-CE3A-4391-A29A-7B2DD751B7D9.jpeg
79A23152-D11E-4920-9B25-D84143A300B5.jpeg

He is a Polish (his Dada - Mr P) x Silkie (his Mama - Fluffy) don’t ask what his colour is, I call it melting creamsicle haha.

Yes they can be fun IF you have a good Roo, a bad Roo makes life miserable for you and the hens.

My wee cockerel Bert is going through his Jack-arse idiot jerk phase. So far he hasn’t been too bad and hopefully the hens keep him inline until he gets some brains 😊 and he has just started crowing, he is 18 weeeks old today.

View attachment 3784501View attachment 3784502
He is a Polish (his Dada - Mr P) x Silkie (his Mama - Fluffy) don’t ask what his colour is, I call it melting creamsicle haha.
Keep him off of Beakbook. Don't want him getting ideas from this guy.
1000008177.jpg

Back
Top Bottom