Good grief they are dropping like flies.
3 confirmed, possibly 4 broody hens at the moment. I will know if Corona is in fact broody when I go out to gather eggs from the hay stack. The 3 confirmed broody girls, dang it they have taken over the porch boxes. Girls I need those boxes, several hens want to lay in them and you are causing quite the ruckus.

Rent-A-Broody is in full swing here.
DSCN3001.JPG

Now for your consideration we can add Spooky to the list of available hens.
DSCN3002.JPG

This 2nd generation Marans x Silkie cross has all the makings of a wonderful mother. This is her first time going broody at 11 months old so she is unproven. She is the same size as her mother Goose so she could fit 8 to 10 normal eggs or a dozen bantam eggs under her. So far she has not bit, just growled and shrieked when removed from the nest.

Why girls, why?

Sigh, 3 broody hens and not a Poppet egg in sight. Dang it Poppet, get with the program.

3 confirmed, possibly 4 broody hens at the moment. I will know if Corona is in fact broody when I go out to gather eggs from the hay stack. The 3 confirmed broody girls, dang it they have taken over the porch boxes. Girls I need those boxes, several hens want to lay in them and you are causing quite the ruckus.

View attachment 3799439

View attachment 3799440
This 2nd generation Marans x Silkie cross has all the makings of a wonderful mother. This is her first time going broody at 11 months old so she is unproven. She is the same size as her mother Goose so she could fit 8 to 10 normal eggs or a dozen bantam eggs under her. So far she has not bit, just growled and shrieked when removed from the nest.

Why girls, why?

Sigh, 3 broody hens and not a Poppet egg in sight. Dang it Poppet, get with the program.
You are making me very scared. Very, very scared.

View attachment 3799439

View attachment 3799440

Why girls, why?

Silly hens 🤨 tis the season for crazy broodies!

Meanwhile I am getting an egg a day from Marty, and one from Henny about every other day and I may or may not have had one from Fluffy or Curly.

My silkies used to be my reliable layers! Unless broody of course.

It looks like Fluffy is moulting she is full of pin feathers under her fluff, and I think Curly is also.

Why girls? Why? I need your sweet wee eggs in less than a months time. Come on get cracking!

When are you heading out?

I guess all you can do is trust they will just go through all that broody silliness while you’re away and when you return they will be well behaved pretty chickens 😊
I have a couple of short trips starting back end of next week. The marathon adventure isn't until late June.
Someone has taken to laying eggs in a leaf pile that is not under cover. They are covered in mud. I had to do some climbing and use my back scratcher to retrieve them.
I think it is Calypso because when she tries to lay in Tassels' nest (like Piglet, Pooh, and Sylvie do) I think Tassels helps herself to some of Calypso's beard to line her nest.
Sigh.

20240412_144108.jpg
Hello girls, enjoy the birdseed while I figure out your darn little nests...
20240412_144103.jpg
We can see Samara has entered the cottonball stage. The past week she broods about half the day, I throw her off the nest and she goes back to being lead hen. I feel those days are ending...
20240412_144102.jpg
Hubby asked when I will break Morinth. She is getting pretty skinny...I hope she breaks herself though before I have to do it.
20240412_144000.jpg
Springtails everywhere! I was concerned when I saw their wild water collection bowls full of little black jumping bugs! Dumped them out then realized these are harmless...oops.

I have a couple of short trips starting back end of next week. The marathon adventure isn't until late June.
Someone has taken to laying eggs in a leaf pile that is not under cover. They are covered in mud. I had to do some climbing and use my back scratcher to retrieve them.
I think it is Calypso because when she tries to lay in Tassels' nest (like Piglet, Pooh, and Sylvie do) I think Tassels helps herself to some of Calypso's beard to line her nest.
Sigh.
I really wanted to give that a laugh emoji for the muddy egg part but thought you would think I was laughing at poor Calypso’s woos.

What brats they are aren’t they?!

I have Raven who reaches into the nest box and drags the poor girl in there out by whatever body part ahe latches onto!

And does she lay in that nest ? NO! She goes down the line hauling the ones lower than her out then walks away! Doesn’t lay an egg just walks away. What an old cow!

Well last weekend Blanche came along and dragged Ravens big arsed fluffy butt out of the nest box she was in - I laughed and told her ‘there’s always a bird bigger than you out there sister’.

Gosh they make me laugh so much 😊

View attachment 3799518
Hello girls, enjoy the birdseed while I figure out your darn little nests...
View attachment 3799519
We can see Samara has entered the cottonball stage. The past week she broods about half the day, I throw her off the nest and she goes back to being lead hen. I feel those days are ending...
View attachment 3799520
Hubby asked when I will break Morinth. She is getting pretty skinny...I hope she breaks herself though before I have to do it.
View attachment 3799521
Springtails everywhere! I was concerned when I saw their wild water collection bowls full of little black jumping bugs! Dumped them out then realized these are harmless...oops.
Is Morinth eating at all? I bring my broodies off the nest at least twice a day and I bring them away from the sight of the nest boxes. I give them treats like warm mash, or scratch grains, meat, eggs. Anything they will eat. Also offer water to them. They usually scarf back food, maybe take a drink, deposit a smelly broody poop, go running screaming down the barn alleyway, then run back to their nest.

Is Morinth eating at all? I bring my broodies off the nest at least twice a day and I bring them away from the sight of the nest boxes. I give them treats like warm mash, or scratch grains, meat, eggs. Anything they will eat. Also offer water to them. They usually scarf back food, maybe take a drink, deposit a smelly broody poop, go running screaming down the barn alleyway, then run back to their nest.
She is! She isn't like dangerous level skinny but I can feel her breast meat is like...deflated right now. She gets out twice a day that I do and make sure she eats, drinks, and scratches the ground. Might even dustbathe. She's shy about pooping in front of me though!

I hope everyone is doing okay! I’m going to need to look at the Synopsis tomorrow because I’ve not been on here all week.

Two eggs have pipped. I only have five eggs out of eight unfortunately. Both Bolt eggs are fertile, and three Ayam Cemani eggs are.

Hatch day is tomorrow, which happens to be a very sad day for me. April 13th is when my dog, Coach, died last year. I’m thinking about naming one of the chicks after him, but I’m not sure.

I think I’m going to go with names like Onyxia, Obsidian, and Midnight for the Cemani’s. For Bolt’s eggs, I might go with something that has to do with Coach, like the road where my parents got him from for one egg. I think for the other I’m going to go with where my other dog is from. (She passed away March 4th 2021.)

Okay, so one Bolt egg has pipped, and the other is a Cemani. I am so egg-cited!
Bolt’s egg-
IMG_3443.jpeg

Cemani egg-
IMG_3447.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom