First flowers yesterday
20240417_145509.jpg

And this morning, a brisk 20F (-6c)
20240418_064916.jpg
Whiskey is warming 1 foot. Hector is the only truly smart one. He's snuggled down on BOTH feet. Babies all came out with adults, but are quickly snuggling together...outside...despite having not 1 but TWO heating pads inside the coop. Seemingly the desire to enjoy the sunshine outweighs the warmth.

Tassels gave in to temptation.
She spent 7 glorious hours yesterday bathing and foraging and digging up grass in the field.
She ate a lot (thank goodness) and apart from a few curses she chatted amiably to her friends.
Just before dusk, as everyone was trooping in to roost, she gave a blood-curdling scream and hurtled back to her nest.
:barnie

I am now on my way to the airport.
Tassels is back in jail.
I will text back and forth with the lady who will care for the animals. I am thinking next trial release date is Friday.

Tax: Tassels teaching the others how to go broody while on day release.

View attachment 3804616
Hahaha

Yep been there also. Crazy hens!

First flowers yesterdayView attachment 3804648

And this morning, a brisk 20F (-6c)View attachment 3804647Whiskey is warming 1 foot. Hector is the only truly smart one. He's snuggled down on BOTH feet. Babies all came out with adults, but are quickly snuggling together...outside...despite having not 1 but TWO heating pads inside the coop. Seemingly the desire to enjoy the sunshine outweighs the warmth.
I like dandelions they are bright and cheerful 😊

How old are your chicks now? They grow up soooo fast!

Temps are a guideline, I found my chicks would spend a lot of time just running around eating and investigating rather than under the brooder plate.

By 1 week old they should be hopping up on things in their home, by 2 weeks I have them flying up on top of the waterer and feeders, and the brooder plate top. And remember last year at two weeks I had mine running around in the barn when I was doing chores to keep an eye on them - they rarely went under the brooder plate I put out for them.

By three weeks they are little escape artists and were integrated with the flock. I have found that as long as they had a place to run and hide under and warm up under if they needed, they were fine.

What are you keeping those chicklets in - I used my extra water tub the horses werent using.
Integrated by three weeks, what a dream! You and RM excel at that.

Last edited:
My nerves aren’t up to it. I hate being away when she needs to be in a cage.
All it took for Agathae to go broody again was three days of being gone.
I come back after all the chickens have gone to bed.
No friendly squawks greet me.
"SCREECH"
I put the bird on the perch.
The next morning, I'm screeched at again.
The human sighs loudly out of exhaustion from dealing with that SILLY BATTY BROODY BIRD!!!

My nerves aren’t up to it. I hate being away when she needs to be in a cage.
She’ll be ok, don’t worry too much, as long as she has food and water she will be fine. And if she indeed does run for the nest again you can deal with a decision at that time.

Integrated by three weeks, what a dream! You and RM excel at that.
We both have a ton of space and lots of hiding places for chicks. Marty was the worst of them, she would actually stalk them! Don’t be fooled by the whole silkie broody thing - Marty can be quite vicious, she has had me down on the ground a couple times flogging me!

But the chicks learnt very fast to hide from Marty.

Back
Top Bottom