I’ve been very busy with school recently. I have state testing the next two weeks, and right now I am in my way to FFA state convention.

Willow loves her chicks. She is taking very good care of them, and they love her.

BBQ has dropped in the pecking order drastically, which worries me. She has always been the second in command, but the past few days she has dropped a few places. I believe that the current pecking order goes like this: Splotch, Bolt, Eli, BBQ, the three TSC chooks, and Willow is somewhere in the pecking order,
BBQ has always put everyone in their places. When Willow was raising the TSC chicks last fall, she would chase Willow and around that time I got Eli. She would chase Eli too.
Now, Willow is chasing BBQ, and BBQ runs away screaming, but every time Willow goes after Eli, Eli chases her away. BBQ is also not the first to eat food. She has been waiting until everyone eats before she eats. Splotch and her have always had an amazing relationship, but I saw Splotch go after BBQ and start pecking her. It worries me.

I didn’t really like the Polishes. They weren’t very social and they were terrified of me. All of the sudden, one of the chicks just randomly started flying out of the brooder every time I would open the lid. I named her Nyx. Now every single one of them fly out and run around and climb on me. They are all sweet, and I know their personalities and can tell them apart. I mean, I have leg bands on them, but I can tell them apart from their personalities and topknots as well.
I worry that Athena may be a rooster. She has been attacking my hands (like, not friendly.)
This is Athena (or Athens? What do you guys think?)
View attachment 3810433
This is Nyx. Athena is the only chick I am not 100% sure the sex of. I want her to be a rooster.
View attachment 3810434
With the little wattles showing, distinct possibility that Athena is Athens. Crested birds show gender specific feathering sooner than non-crested. The crest feathers look like a cotton ball on pullet heads and like Albert Einstein on cockerel heads.

With the little wattles showing, distinct possibility that Athena is Athens. Crested birds show gender specific feathering sooner than non-crested. The crest feathers look like a cotton ball on pullet heads and like Albert Einstein on cockerel heads.
Wow. I learn so much from you. Of course I forget it all, but I really appreciate it when you explain things like this.

Wow. I learn so much from you. Of course I forget it all, but I really appreciate it when you explain things like this.
Mental pictures and visual images really help me remember/keep track of stuff. The Einstein image really sticks with me. Now watch, the next time I have a crested bird (full crest) will be the appenzeller spitzhaubens and the image won't work. I'll be dealing with Mohawks leaning forward instead!

Back
Top Bottom